Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
coil (Read 270 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
coil
01/03/14 at 10:14:26

Is there a +ve and -ve  side to a coil I've noticed that one of the spade connectors that come out of the coil is slightly larger than the other one , is there any reason for this ? cheers

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: coil
Reply #1 - 01/03/14 at 11:35:01

Well I am not sure why one is larger and one is smaller - unless it makes it so that you put the correct wire on the proper terminal.

One is the power supply - it is the red and yellow wire.  The other wire is the one from the ignitor assembly and it is black and yellow.

One thing you could do is to connect a small test light to the yellow and orange wire, and run the other end to a ground.  This will allow the light to shine whenever electricty is going to the coil.  If you are riding and the bike stops at the same time the light goes out - then you know it is something in the Safety Circuit that is killing the engine.....most likely a side stand switch or broke wire somewhere.  If the light stays on when the bike stops....then it could be something in the ignitor, coil, spark plug... or it could be a fuel flow problem.  Generally problems with electricity fail almost instantly - while fuel problems are generally more gradual.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #2 - 01/03/14 at 12:50:05

Cheers Dave, that fella who invented electricity has got a lot to answer for,I wish it was a fuel problem it would be easier to suss,but when it goes there is no warning, like you say if it was fuel I would expect it to splutter but it is usually accompanied by a bang or a couple of backfires which is possibly the unburnt fuel firing in the hot exhaust and just coasts to a stop ( when I pull the clutch in or put it in neutral ), do you know which wire  goes on which connector on the coil or doesn't it matter

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/03/14 at 13:09:17

I have the tank off my bike right now, and I can look and/or take a photo tonight when I am home.

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #4 - 01/03/14 at 13:31:25

That would be great Dave ,thanks a lot for your help - owning a savage doesn't half improve mechanicking  Huh skills and having a forum like this to turn to helps no end,thanks again

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #5 - 01/03/14 at 20:08:37

Here's a picture of the coil on my 2007 S40.
The extra green wire on the ignitor terminal
goes to my tachometer.

CoilWeb2.jpg

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #6 - 01/04/14 at 02:44:54

Thanks Todd, I presume that the 1988 savage is going to be the same wires going to be the same terminals ( the japanese wouldn't switch them around surely? or would they ?   Grin )  is the black wire on the fixing post ( dont know technical term ) of the coil an earth ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/04/14 at 03:30:35

Todd:  Your camera is better than mine.

Steddy:  Pay no attention to Todd's black wire....you won't have one.  My bike is a 2004 and the top wire is yellow and black, the bottom wire is orange and white.

coil_002.jpg

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #8 - 01/04/14 at 04:56:07

OK Dave thanks for taking the time, cheers , the reason I was asking about the black wire was regarding your idea of having a light connecting to the top connection ( the one that goes to igniter ? ) using the post as the earth ( if thats what the black wire in Todd's picture is doing ) for the light - or would I have to run the -ve straight to the battery, I'm sorry if I'm asking basic q's but I've already managed to fry one igniter and I'm trying not to cause meself more financial pain  Smiley p.s. whats that red wire going to your top connection?

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #9 - 01/04/14 at 07:33:42

Steddy:
Sorry, I forgot to mention the black wire on the "fixing post".
That is the ground wire for my tachometer.
The fixing post was the handiest place to connect it.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #10 - 01/04/14 at 07:40:13

Cheers Todd, so it would be OK for me to run an earth to it then? ( my " fixing post"  not yours cos that would have to be a hell of a long wire   Smiley)

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #11 - 01/04/14 at 08:47:40

Update - I've just been looking at the wiring diagrams and if we look at the coil ( C ) as connections 1 and 2  and the igniter ( I ) as 12345 and 6.   On the 1987-1994 diag. ( mine ) the  black and yellow ( BY ) wire goes from conn. 2 on the coil to conn. 5 on the igniter and the Orange and yellow wire ( OY ) goes from conn. 1 on the coil to conn. 3 on igniter - now then, the 1995 diag.has the BY from 2C to 4I and the OY 1C to 3I and to make matters even more murky the 1996 to 2003 wiring diag. has BY from 1C to 4I  OY going from 2C to 3I. The wiring diag. for 2004 is similar to 96-03 apart from the C has moved to the other side of the I - discuss   Huh  :'(.

quick modify I'll try and make it a bit clearer

87-94 ( my bike ) B/Y wire 2C to 5I
                         O/Y wire 1C to 3I

1995                   B/Y wire 2C to 4I
                         O/Y wire 1C to 3I

96-03                 B/Y wire 1C to 4I
                        O/Y wire 2C to 3I

2004 same as 96-03 apart from in the diagram the coil has moved to the other side of the igniter which probably has no relevance  Smiley and just as a theory couldnt someone produce a 3D wiring diagram so that you can picture it a bit more clearly

« Last Edit: 01/04/14 at 10:54:25 by Steddy58 »  

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #12 - 01/04/14 at 16:13:42

Further update - It is now gone midnight and after extensive research I think I have come to the conclusion that the -ve terminal on the primary has the black and yellow wire on it which goes to the igniter and the + ve primary terminal ( orange and white or yellow as I think it is but in my bike is a completely different colour ) goes to the ignition switch which means that my bikes black and orange should be on the bottom unless they've changed the polarity around post 95 ( oh god my head hurts ) can somebody please tell me if this is correct - not that my head hurts but about the +ve and -ve. I'm now going for a lie down and take some tablets gud nite all  Smiley

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #13 - 01/05/14 at 09:31:55

Steddy58 wrote on 01/04/14 at 16:13:42:
Further update - It is now gone midnight and after extensive research I think I have come to the conclusion that the -ve terminal on the primary has the black and yellow wire on it which goes to the igniter and the + ve primary terminal ( orange and white or yellow as I think it is but in my bike is a completely different colour ) goes to the ignition switch - I'm now going for a lie down and take some tablets gud nite all  Smiley

which, now I study the posts in the cold light of day after a good nights sleep, is exactly what Dave said  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
coil pics
Reply #14 - 01/12/14 at 12:52:28

Hi,does anyone on the forum have a pic of a 1988 sav coil in position and wired up, many thank yous in advance

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:16:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › coil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.