YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: coil pics
Reply #15 - 01/13/14 at 04:31:03

Steddy58 wrote on 01/12/14 at 12:52:28:
Hi,does anyone on the forum have a pic of a 1988 sav coil in position and wired up, many thank yous in advance

Steddy:

I am not sure what trouble you are having?  You have 2 photos of a coil wired up and mounted to the bike.  The yellow and black wire is on the top terminal, the orange and white wire is on the bottom terminal.  There are only two wires to hook up.  If the colors on your bike are a bit different....you are correct in figurng the wire that supplies power is on the bottom terminal (orange and white).

As a side note.....when looking at any wire you can most often decode what is going on by color (anything but the 1986 model).  Plain red is from the battery without being fused.  Red with dashes is fused positive power to the ignition switch or decompression controller.  Any plain orange wire is to deliver power to something after passing through the ignition  switch - if the orange wire has a white stripe or dashes - then it has also passed through another switch or control (like the starter switch or stop switch).  Yellow is the high beam circuit and white is the low beam headlight circuit after passing through the left handlebar switch).  Blue is related to the neutral lamp switch and light.   When in the turn signal area minty green is the right turn signal power, black is the left turn signal power, the running lights are brown, and the tail light wire is white and may have black dashes on it.  Check the wiring diagram for your bike to be certain and make a copy the diagram and put it in your tool kit - but in case you don't have one handy.....knowing the general colors and what they do helps to decipher what is going on when you see a bundle of wires.

« Last Edit: 01/13/14 at 10:40:57 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Re: coil
Reply #16 - 01/13/14 at 10:23:18

Sorry Dave, the problem I am having is that my coil has one connector on the bottom  and one on the side not the top, with the small spade connector on the bottom and although I do have the two pics from yourself and Todd ( for which I'm grateful ) I would like to see a pic of my type of coil because when it comes to electrics blowing things up has already proved a bit expensive  Smiley

p.s. I am getting better, I've managed to rewire the headlight so that the parking light now works and the main beam indicator light now works and I am still in one piece and more importantly so is the bike  Grin

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 01/13/14 at 10:28:43

Steddy,.. perhaps posting a pic of your coil would be helpful...
Maybe it ain't stock... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #18 - 01/13/14 at 10:31:29

OK will do Serowbot

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/13/14 at 11:24:57

Coils aint nothin to get wound up about

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 01/13/14 at 11:43:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/13/14 at 11:24:57:

dammit....silly as it is... it still made me smile Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #21 - 01/13/14 at 12:28:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/13/14 at 11:24:57:

Grin Grin Grin

Dave many thanks for the info on the wire colours its very handy and has been printed and added to the dossier I am building up on the wiring including the wiring diag. and the safety circuit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 01/13/14 at 12:46:45

A smile makes hassles a little easier.. & let me assure you, where coils are involved, a smile is all the help I can be,, Its great to have so many people who have the smarts they have, all aimed at this bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 01/13/14 at 15:06:10

Steddy, I don't know if this will help.  One side of the secondary should ground either through the ground terminal or through the metal mounting bar.  If it grounds through the bar and neither of the terminals, the polarity at the terminals won't matter.  If it grounds through the terminal, the - side will have both the primary and secondary connected.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #24 - 01/13/14 at 15:18:49

Here is a pic of what the coil on my bike looks like http://tinyurl.com/mjvu6mz  (copyright Wemoto - please delete if posting it infringes any laws) when fitted the small spade connection is towards the bottom and the larger one is side on ( and gets in the way a bit when mounting coil ) and ht lead is facing rear of machine and thanks Steve H for your input, appreciated

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/13/14 at 18:23:05

Well that clears up a lot of the mystery.  That is an aftermarket part, not a Suzuki factory part.  The + terminal should be connected to the orange/white wire.....the - terminal to the black and yellow wire.

« Last Edit: 01/14/14 at 04:47:04 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #26 - 01/13/14 at 18:44:05

Cheers Dave ,sorry about causing a lot of confusion hopefully I'll get this sorted and when I've finished I'll post the end results  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › coil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.