Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No dammit... and leave me ALONE! (Read 89 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
No dammit... and leave me ALONE!
01/03/14 at 08:08:30

State employee here...

We are forced (basically) to sign up for "preventative medicine' ----Web MD. So they get my real personal email.. and I get an email that I have an important message at Web MD ...

Dear Frank, yatta yatta//
"men that have turned 50 should consider a prostrat exam"
Happy New Year

F'ers ....

No to mention ... I'll be 51 next month not 50.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: No dammit... and leave me ALONE!
Reply #1 - 01/03/14 at 10:12:03

I have three email addresses. 2 through Cox and 1 at Yahoo.  Cox let's me create up to 10 email addresses on my Cox account.

The original Cox email address is used for nothing other than communication with Cox.  I never give it out to anyone.

The 2nd Cox account is for my personal email with people I know or have a real relationship with.

The Yahoo account is for all the junk I don't want to see in my personal email. Accounts for online vendors and online logins like Facebook and such.  These are all the people who once you sign up with them start inundating you with advertisements and "special offers".  I look at this account less often and often just delete emails without reading them.

I bought some stuff from JC Whitney, and a couple of musical instrument websites, and I swear, I sometimes get multiple emails a DAY from these people.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/03/14 at 13:31:05

same here multiple email accounts, one rarely looked at.

my personal accounts (long running) have spam filters.
true spam goes into a spam folder, never touch, never delete.
just scan for valid emails.  if you delete them you get more from more sources.  leave them be and they think it's a dead account.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 01/07/14 at 02:09:14

verslagen1 wrote on 01/03/14 at 13:31:05:

just scan for valid emails. if you delete them you get more from more sources.  leave them be and they think it's a dead account.

Huh

Interesting, would you care to explain ? I never knew senders had a way to figure out I had deleted their email ...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/07/14 at 11:25:47

mpescatori wrote on 01/07/14 at 02:09:14:
verslagen1 wrote on 01/03/14 at 13:31:05:

just scan for valid emails. if you delete them you get more from more sources.  leave them be and they think it's a dead account.

Huh

Interesting, would you care to explain ? I never knew senders had a way to figure out I had deleted their email ...

perhaps I oversimplified my vendetta upon the isp's that don't properly ban spam.
some email does have a "read" flag that can be sent to the sender.
I used to block every spammer. which resulted in more spam... and more spam... ad naseum.  Now I do not block them.  new spam is reduced.  I identify them as spam they are moved to the spam folder to rot.  and on occasion, scan them for valid mail.  This fills up the isp's hard drive and pisses them off.  some day they'll be forced to be more active against spammers.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 01/10/14 at 17:36:17

Many spam emails also have what's called a web beacon in them.  I picture, usually, that when it is requested from the server, validates the email account to which it was sent.  So, if you open the email, you just told them that is a valid account and expect piles more.

There's no way for them to tell if you delete it, unless you use microsft email programs, without reading.  The read receipt will not be sent when deleting.  Many of the free email guys regularly scan your email accounts for the types of email you get and send your information off to the spammers in exchange for a small gratuity from them. You delete all the spam on some of these and they send you to an entirely new bunch of spammers offering something different.

Many companies with which you do business also sell your email details. Read their terms of use.  Nothing on Yahoo's or Google's email sites should ever be considered private or confidential.  Google has even admitted that they scan every single email that comes into their servers to better direct revenue generating ads.  I have done google searches before and actually had results that were in peoples' email.  Not often, and it's been a few years.  I don't know if they've fixed that or not.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 07:26:19

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › No dammit... and leave me ALONE!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.