Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How low can it go? (Temperature) (Read 186 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
How low can it go? (Temperature)
01/03/14 at 01:08:51

Been busy plus had couple of mechanical problems, so got to ride 1-1-14 in what could only be described as brisk temps, but sunny as summer. Upper thirtties today with wind. Used to work at 180 feet in the teens. Don't know how I stood it. Anyway, predictions are 9 degrees Monday with possible rain Sunday night turning to snow Monday. Pretty cold for N Mississippi. I know a lot of you guys and gals have to just park it all winter, but we usually get several days of riding spread out through winter. Wishing you all a good 2014. Boofer  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Re: How low can it go? (Temperature)
Reply #1 - 01/03/14 at 01:54:53

we get a lot of good riding days in the winter down here in NZ. Can't go wrong with a ride when it's a great sunny day topping 9 to 12c. Autum/Fall is the best with all the various smells that you don't experience while driving a car.I ride past a crematorium to and from work,and the smell of the roses in the spring is amazing (not a very blokey thing to say  Wink ),even over the exhaust fumes from the cars and trucks,i can still smell them under the helmet

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 01/03/14 at 07:48:46

We usually get some decent riding days here in SC during the winter too.  But, it's just getting too cold here now. Forecast 16 for a low Tues. with a high of 32 on Tues.  We usually get a few days like that here each winter.  Seems I get less tolerant of days like that the older I get. When it's that cold, I just want to stay inside, nice and warm, and maybe look out the window.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/03/14 at 08:44:21

Steve H wrote on 01/03/14 at 07:48:46:
When it's that cold, I just want to stay inside, nice and warm, and maybe look out the window.

Yep....Me Too!

car.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 01/03/14 at 08:54:22

I would spend lots of time looking out the window if I had scenery like that. Smiley

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/03/14 at 12:21:01

She better not lean against that glass. I suspect she has a matched pair of diamond tipped glass cutters up there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #6 - 01/03/14 at 14:27:42

On new years day, me and my protegé had the first ride of the year, too. 3-4+ degrees C, a bit of wind...but a lovely experience, despite the somewhat frostbitten fingertips. Nothing a cup of hot chocolate halfway wouldn´t cure Smiley

6_004.jpg

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 01/04/14 at 17:28:14

Looks like by Monday morning it's going to be below 0*F. In fact,the weather wizards are calling for a HIGH of -3*F Monday,along with winds gusting to 35mph. Wind chill factor of -30*F......... Brrrrrr

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 01/04/14 at 22:45:03

Wow... its actually predicted to get down into the teens here in north florida on Monday night and Tuesday night.... I'm going to have to get out the "heavy" coat.
It will be one of the about 4 days in the year when I have to do that....well, if I want to go out, I could just leave it in the closet and just stay in a couple of days.... yeah... I think i'll do that Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/05/14 at 07:22:29

Teens heading for Florida?...
Sounds like a recipe for trouble...

I'd stay in... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/05/14 at 07:54:40

I put in some water lines this summer. Got a stand pipe about 4 feet tall out by the shop, on the North side. Ive seen that thing frozen & we havent seen anything below 25 AND I have it wrapped up.The pipe itself hasnt frozen, but the faucet does. Its sposed to drop to 18 tonite & I have 5 faucets out by the garden & 1 up on the deck, with about 6 feet of pipe above ground, one in the hothouse about 4 feet tall.. I figured Id see some real problems so I turned off the cut-off valve I put in that serves all the pipe I added & took the portable air tank around to the tall ones & blew the pipes down with only the lowest ( & shortest) valve open. Ill test in a while to see if the pipe is filling back up. Im not certain the valve is 100% perfect.. If its oozin & the pipe fills up, I could get a bad surprise,, I gotta do some more insulating on pipes in the house & Ill have water trickling tonite,,OHHH Global Warming,, wherefore art thou?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 01/05/14 at 08:13:10

Here, on rare hard freezes,.. I crack the tap and let it slow drip overnight...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 01/05/14 at 20:57:13

Its 18 degrees out on the deck, 45 in the garage for now,,got an outside faucet running & an inside one. Its just below 30 in the shop. Spent a few hours in the last 2 days gettin windshelkd washer fluids replaced w/ "0 degree" protection fluids & getting antifreeze in everything and I was talkin to a buddy today,, he has a leaky waterpump, so, his truck had zero antifreeze in it. He told me it would be okay, since he didnt plan on driving it.. He thot as long as he didnt try to start it while its frozen, no damage would occur. I pointed out that a radiator, once frozen, is gonna leak when it thaws,,so, we drained it & added a/freeze. 2 balls floating is good to 20 degrees,, the 3rd one hovered about 1/2 way, so, Ima say he is good for tonite,,but if we get a 10 degree blast, hes gonna need anothert shot..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/06/14 at 05:21:38

Pretty wacky weather here:

Sunday at dinner time.......45 degrees and rainy.
Sunday at bedtime........34 degrees and snowy.
Monday morning at 5 AM.....11 degrees and windy, 6 AM...... 9 degrees and windy, 7 AM......7 degrees, 8 AM........3 degrees, 8:30 it is 1 degree.  By dinner time tonight it is supposed to be -2 and at bedtime -6!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 01/06/14 at 06:35:19

I was in Liverpool back in the 90's in January visiting friends and a freak cold snap came through. -16C without the wind chill, pretty cold but tolerable until the crazy winds hit you from off the water, oh the winds were just brutal.......Eventually when I go to visit Alaska it will be in the spring for sure LOL.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:30:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › How low can it go? (Temperature)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.