Send Topic Print
NON-DOT tire? (Read 235 times)
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
NON-DOT tire?
01/02/14 at 15:17:31

Has anyone ran a non-dot tire on there savage?  Avon Speedmaster Rib Race Front Tire 2.75-19 (race only) They do make DOT approved versions in 3.00,19 & 3.25,19. But i was wanting to narrow the tire. You know more even with the rim, instead of having a fat tire on a skinny rim. It is either run this or I have to go with a 21 inch to get the look i want. Please give input on this subject....

http://www.motorcycletire.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code...

« Last Edit: 01/02/14 at 16:33:13 by Mario Verasso »  
  IP Logged
SSG
YaBB Newbies

Keep Calm and Chive
On!!!

Ft. Bragg
Re: NON-DOT tire?
Reply #1 - 01/02/14 at 16:44:45

I personally would not use that tire. The tread is designed for racing and not for everyday driving. As soon as it get wet outside your screwed.

96 bobber, raptor petcock, cone filter, 14k miles,
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/02/14 at 18:13:07

I don't know for sure about that tire - but I once ran some vintage Goodyear Blue Foot race tires on a street/autocross car.  The racing tires were very thin and light and had very little reinforcement to deal with the stresses encountered in dailing driving.  Potholes and road debris could easily puncture the tire - they had very little chord across the tread.

I also have a friend that races motorycles and I once asked him about using racing tires on the street.  He felt the race tires have very little grip until they are warmed up, and that in street riding they could be very slippery as they are not pushed hard enough to stay warmed up, especially on cool days.  He felt that street tires were much safer on any street bike - even one that is only ridden on warm days.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 01/03/14 at 00:46:47

I'm not in the USA, but I'd be a little concerned about the insurance aspects of your proposal and if anything went wrong, would an opposing party be willing to sue you given the American propensity for litigation.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/03/14 at 02:20:01

Guys, that is a simple old rib style front tire.  No matter what they call it now, it isn't anything that wasn't widely available back in the 60's and 70's.

It is designed as a steering tire and it would tend to cup when put on a more modern bike with the modern bike's stronger front brakes.

Believe it or not, back in the day front brakes were pitifully puny things and most braking was done with the rear brake.

Most chopped hurleys had no front brake at all .....

If you use it within its original design parameters it will steer just dandy and will do light braking very well.   Mash a disk good with it and it will start to cup.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/03/14 at 05:16:35

I would go with the DOT version in 3.00x19.  When they start listing the tread compound on the racing tire............I am not convinced it is a rubber suitable for street use and extended wear.  The race tire could also have a different carcass than the DOT tire.

Why don't you call them and ask?  They are the tire experts....we are just casual users.

IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #6 - 01/05/14 at 13:58:05

Thanx guys for the input.... I do appreciate it.

IP Logged
SSG
YaBB Newbies

Keep Calm and Chive
On!!!

Ft. Bragg
Reply #7 - 01/07/14 at 16:01:05

Let us know what you do decide to use and how it rides.

96 bobber, raptor petcock, cone filter, 14k miles,
  IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #8 - 02/19/14 at 17:26:28

I ordered the DOT version... Just can't wait till in it comes in.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 02/20/14 at 00:05:07

Let us know when you discover why that vintage replica Avon is more properly called a "Skid Master"...

I like retro tires, I run retro tires on anything I can when the right size shows up for the right price. My Savage is sporting a circa 2000 made ChengShin rear, and a circa 1985 GS-11 style front tire ON A DRUM BRAKE WHEEL... Ribbed and semi ribbed tires don't respond well to disc brakes.

My last Panhead project came to me with an Acme zig zag tread rear 5.00-16 and a 2.75-21 Speedmaster on the front. Both were from the 1970s, both still held air, and as far as I know the Acme is still on the bike. Hydraulic drum rear wheel, spool (brakeless) front...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #10 - 02/20/14 at 16:00:06

Didn't they improve the quality of the rubber since then?

IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #11 - 03/03/14 at 17:17:49

Avon Speedmaster 3.00-19 (DOT) Put this tire on Friday... Looks great/Looks like the forks are raked.... Handles like $H!T, to me... Loves to follow the rain groves and the bike seems to sway/top heavy in the wind. Maybe I'm just used to the Shinkos' i had.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/04/14 at 04:54:18

Mario Verasso wrote on 03/03/14 at 17:17:49:
Avon Speedmaster 3.00-19 (DOT) Put this tire on Friday...Handles like $H!T, to me... Loves to follow the rain groves and the bike seems to sway/top heavy in the wind.

When that tire tread pattern was designed I don't believe rain grooves in pavement were encountered very often.  If that tread pattern was a good thing.......more tire makers would be using it.

If it was looks you were after....you got it.  If it was good handling.....then a more modern tire would have been better.

« Last Edit: 03/04/14 at 07:14:30 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #13 - 03/05/14 at 14:22:19

Here are some pics....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:29:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NON-DOT tire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.