Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally got a new camera. (Read 54 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Finally got a new camera.
01/01/14 at 20:23:55

Last year got a GoPro on clearance that wouldn't work. Had a rough year and rode only around 1000 miles; usually 3500. So from October till last week did maintanence and rode today 1-1-14. Found a Sharper Image SVC400 camera for $100. Mostly meant for bicycles and such, but I am impressed. Has something like 170 degrees lens (Thanks, Bot for warning me about low angle cameras.) Mounts on middle of stock longhorn bars in 5 minutes behind Spitfire S-06 windshield. 75% satisfied with image, because road at times appears like a wavy carpet. Not sure if windshield was flexing and causing abberation or vibration. Need comments if this has happened to you. The 75% that was good was very good for a $100 camera. Has to be inside case to mount on supplied bicycle helmet mount or double-sided tape, or handlebar mount. Basic controls on top with only two sticking through case. Power on left shutter on right. Boots up in record mode. Then use right button to run continuous or loops that save then start back recording. I got 32 minutes from the Hummingbird weight 400. Daughter's computer is down and I am using a cheap tablet with not many features, so sorry, no vids. The SVC400 is even cheaper on ebay at times. I,m looking forward to working out the bugs and fooling around with this little toy. And yes, it was cold and sunny here in Ms today--but a great 30 mile test ride.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Finally got a new camera.
Reply #1 - 01/01/14 at 20:39:39

The wavy, water effect is from engine vibration...
If you mount it to your helmet or body, it won't happen...

Enjoy yer' new toy...
... and show us some vids... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 01/01/14 at 21:11:11

Yup... wavy from vibes, made several mounts for my emerson cam, but the helmet ones turned out the best pics....  got a new laptop and somehow lost my videos....hope I backed them up to my external. Back up your data!! Nothin' really important but there were a couple good ones, one from the dragon (did a one way run took 14mins) and couple more at home here showing how crappy traffic can be on a simple straight-away road.

made a couple of mounts for my helmet from light weight metal, just cut it, bent it and added some Velcro strips to hold the camera
here is a link to killboy when I had the chin mount (link is to april 24,2013 sport bikes before 12) I was riding my ninja 300 in full desert garb.... had to get on the weeks best some how!

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01V40B0014&po=14&...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 01/01/14 at 23:10:32

Thanks to both of you. Didn't seem right for waves to clear after certain shifts on smooth road. I wanted camera screen and controls handy--plus one bug in summer riding could require a major cleanup. Helmet mount seems best to me to show people what they're missing on the side of the road. I will also try a rigged chest mount. You Tube also has some neat CHEAP EASY mounts. Thanks again. I hope you are blessed in the coming year.  Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 01/02/14 at 15:02:01

Cheap and easy... hmmmm I've been called that before...LOL... here is a video I shot of a short test for the chin mount I made, I just cut the metal in a square small enough to be put into the air vent in the front, bent it down in a "U" shape to go inside and hung there like a coat hanger, then used tape backed Velcro to make it steady and hold the camera in place.

The Emerson Action Camera only cost me like $40.00 at Big Lots and has an HD mode and with a good size memory card can do like 2hrs of video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcF5kK9i9Gc

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 01/03/14 at 00:53:12

Old Rider, thanks for the vid. I also watched a review of the Emerson.It seems a little less sharp than the Sharper Image 400, but certainly not $60 difference. It also is a little more complicated, and it has the easy controls on top like mine plus it comes with the same accessories. I have spent more this Christmas than in about 5 years, so I got to lay low, but I think I can slip another camera in. The Emerson is a deal I can't refuse. I got rid of my huge computer desk and I'm typing this on a 9" Proscan tablet from Big Lots. My nearest one is about 45 miles away. Thanks again for the input. Good video.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:27:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Finally got a new camera.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.