Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oil (Read 118 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
oil
01/01/14 at 09:18:06

I have, at great expense, lashed out on some redline m/cycle oil, approx 2litres ( 2 quarts USA ) if I do a full oil change inc. filter would it be ok to top up with another motorcycle oil,cheers

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Re: oil
Reply #1 - 01/01/14 at 09:36:05

Well if you drain the old oil you're not exactly "topping up" just refilling. so yes you can use any oil.

IP Logged
SSG
YaBB Newbies

Keep Calm and Chive
On!!!

Ft. Bragg
Reply #2 - 01/01/14 at 10:01:55

If you use the two liters (which is what clymer calls for) and feel you need to add more. I personally would not top off with a different oil. I would try to acquire more of that oil you plan to use.

96 bobber, raptor petcock, cone filter, 14k miles,
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #3 - 01/01/14 at 10:14:52

I'm with SSG on this one. Even though there are remnants of the previous oil already in there, I would use the same type of new oil for as much consistency as possible. At least, thats how I prefer to do it in my car and bike.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #4 - 01/01/14 at 10:18:04

OK thanks will probably lay out for more Redline then

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 01/01/14 at 23:20:51

Steddy, Discussing oil usually brings out several opinions on here. Many of us use Rotella natural dinosaur oil in 15w40 with excellent results. Others use synthetics. Rotella here in the US is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of oils like Red Line. We have very few oil related failures on the 650. Just keep your idle speed fast enough to keep everything lubed.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #6 - 01/02/14 at 02:20:10

Cheers Boofer, I did think twice before posting a query about oil  Smiley I suppose the answer is any oil is better than no oil  Smiley

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 01/02/14 at 08:45:00

rotella is so inexpensive at walmart, I'd just dump it all out and start over

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/02/14 at 10:00:41

Gyrobob wrote on 01/02/14 at 08:45:00:
rotella is so inexpensive at walmart, I'd just dump it all out and start over

Not sure that Walmart has made it to the UK yet....what works so well for us may not work so well for our member in the UK, or Russia, or New Zealand.

The UK should have some very good (and affordable) oils.  They have been racing small cars and motorycles for years.  The important thing for the Savage is that you use and oil that has a minimum of 1,200 ppm of ZDDP.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #9 - 01/02/14 at 13:51:16

The nearest we have is ASDA which is owned by Walmart. I heard that their own oils were actually well known brands - for instance, their multigrade  mineral oil was actually Duckhams, but cheaper.  But I have started using Mobil 1n  racing for all my bikes. it's dear but you can get good offers on line.     As our bikes use so little oil (compared to a recent car of mine which used over 12 liters)  I think its worth the extra money.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 01/02/14 at 14:45:00

I saw an ad for Penrite in a Brit bike mag recently. They make a few bike oils with zinc if that's any use to you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.