Cold belt...... (Read 554 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Cold belt......
12/31/13 at 09:27:20

I ride in winter out of need, and my belt makes one hell of a noise until it warms up. I know as fact when it was new (2 years ago) it didn't, so I believe a remedy lies somewhere out there. Any ideas wizards?

and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all you savages  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Cold belt......
Reply #1 - 12/31/13 at 09:39:46

What you need, is a belt warmer... Huh...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/31/13 at 09:56:57

Many maintain that the squeaking comes from the sides of the belt.  Some claim good results by sanding the sides of the belt in order to expose fresh material as opposed to the aged and oxidized surface.  I had a Ford with a serpentine belt that squealed like crazy on damp cool mornings to the point it was embarrassing.  It was quickly fixed with a squirt of WD40.  The permanent fix was achieved by buying a new belt.

If it were mine, I would try lightly sanding the edges with medium emery cloth and if that didn't work I would lubricate the edges only with silicone.  I wouldn't mess with the toothed part of the belt.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/31/13 at 10:00:53

Make sure you are running the belt right down the center of the rear pulley.  You should be able to see a gap on both sides.  If you need to move the belt over.....loosen the axle and tighten the tensioner on the side you want it to move "away" from.  If you want to keep the tension about the same - loosen the opposite side the same that you tighten the the other one.  Repeat as necessary until you get it right.....if the belt is not touchin' the sides it should not be squeeking.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 12/31/13 at 10:18:45

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/13 at 09:39:46:
What you need, is a belt warmer... Huh...

Grin Grin Grin...

Yeah....I wonder if they have a multi-purpose one that could warm belts and cold cun..... uh, you know what I mean  Kiss

Thanks guys, I think therein a fix exist. I'll let you know   Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 01/02/14 at 02:45:04

Make sure your belt is not too tight. You should be able to bend it almost 90 degrees.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 01/02/14 at 02:49:09

I purchased one of Serowbots belt warmers and altho quite expensive at $125, he gave me a great deal at $75 if I paid the shipping.  He is most thoughtful to all of the members in here and I'm sure he will cut you a great deal also!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 01/02/14 at 07:56:46

Glad you like it, Sting... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 01/06/14 at 07:36:37

Prior to getting the belt perfectly centered in the pulley I was using a block of parrafin wax on the edges of the belt...worked fine for a few days but centering the belt works better...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 01/07/14 at 23:56:47

I live on the west slope of the Colorado Rockies in a valley at 4500
can be up to 100 in the summer "down" here and ride up to 11,000 where it can be in the 40s..
belt twist, centering, are all up to specs but temp change during a ride here voids those paramerters
silicon spray is my answer
liquid wrench is the spray I have access to
there are some old posts of riders using bees wax
temp swings are the nemesis here

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 01/18/14 at 07:54:29

Dave wrote on 12/31/13 at 10:00:53:
Make sure you are running the belt right down the center of the rear pulley.  You should be able to see a gap on both sides.  If you need to move the belt over.....loosen the axle and tighten the tensioner on the side you want it to move "away" from.  If you want to keep the tension about the same - loosen the opposite side the same that you tighten the the other one.  Repeat as necessary until you get it right.....if the belt is not touchin' the sides it should not be squeeking.

Dave, I think you are right, as my belt lays up against one side. I tried your fix, but I am not centered, tho after a short ride I think the noise has abated. My question is, do you really have to tinker with it a lot to get it centered? I am using the notches on the frame to guide me, but of course that is not an exact science either.....small adjustments best, or lets say 5 turns to the adjusting bolt each time, or divide equally on both sides, one tighten, loosen the other side as you suggested? Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 01/18/14 at 08:03:23

Raydawg:

You can use the notches to get you close, then if you have a jack and can get the rear wheel off the ground - you can make minor adjustments with the axle nut a bit loose and it only takes a few minutes to do some tweaking.  You make a slight adjustment and rotate the wheel....and see where the belt moves.  Once you fiddle a bit and get it centered, then you can tighten it and go for a ride and see if it stays in the center.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 01/18/14 at 08:51:15

Dave wrote on 01/18/14 at 08:03:23:
Raydawg:

You can use the notches to get you close, then if you have a jack and can get the rear wheel off the ground - you can make minor adjustments with the axle nut a bit loose and it only takes a few minutes to do some tweaking.  You make a slight adjustment and rotate the wheel....and see where the belt moves.  Once you fiddle a bit and get it centered, then you can tighten it and go for a ride and see if it stays in the center.

Ok, that makes sense, get the wheel off the deck, THANKS!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 01/18/14 at 16:08:56

I use mustache wax. I made up a pint of it and heat it up to melt it and brush it on the belt. It is easy to make- 60% bees wax, 40% vaseline. It lasts about 4 months.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 01/18/14 at 16:44:24

My Momma never had a problem with a cold belt. She knew just where to warm it up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:16:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold belt......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.