raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Cold belt......
Reply #30 - 01/21/14 at 16:19:06

OK......the grand finale  Shocked

Rode today, to work. Right outta the stall in upper 30's not a peep outta her, could even hear the whirl of the belt working, which I recall on my very first "test" ride on her with ZERO miles. Belts have a distinct sound, almost like the belt noise on a turbo.
Got up to 70 for a short stint, all is good!

Could be my imagination, not sure, but it seems my rear brake has less travel in it now too.... I don't use it very much.

Thanks for the help all!   Cheesy

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 01/21/14 at 19:21:54

Congratulations Raydawg on the great fix.  Maybe I missed some of the progress but exactly what did you do to it to make the improvement?  Way back on page 1 of this thread you were planning to center it per Dave's instructions.  Is that what you did?

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #32 - 01/22/14 at 03:59:40

Yes...exactly as Dave said to do.....but I also let bot wax himself too!  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 01/22/14 at 05:13:28

raydawg wrote on 01/21/14 at 16:19:06:
Could be my imagination, not sure, but it seems my rear brake has less travel in it now too.... I don't use it very much. Cheesy

If you moved the right side of the axle back - you would have tightened up the brake cable a bit.  Make sure that there is still a bit of free play in the brake cable.....back the adjusting nut off a little bit if you want the feel where it used to be.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #34 - 01/22/14 at 17:51:55

Dave wrote on 01/22/14 at 05:13:28:
raydawg wrote on 01/21/14 at 16:19:06:
Could be my imagination, not sure, but it seems my rear brake has less travel in it now too.... I don't use it very much. Cheesy

If you moved the right side of the axle back - you would have tightened up the brake cable a bit.  Make sure that there is still a bit of free play in the brake cable.....back the adjusting nut off a little bit if you want the feel where it used to be.

Again Dave, you nailed it.....but I do have free play, not much, but it works fine, thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 02/16/14 at 17:32:19

I am dragging this thread back up to the top for a bit.....to discuss the fit between the pulley hub and wheel hub, and to discuss the wobble.

I took my rear wheel apart today and looked at the fit between the pulley and wheel hubs.  The pulley hub does have a machined stub that slides into a machined bore just outside the bearing on the wheel hub.  The outside of the pulley hub has a bearing......so with the inside and outside of the pulley hub being supported it should not wobble.   The problem is that the outside diameter of the pulley hub is 1.806" where it slides into rear wheel hub - which has a 1.838" inside diameter.  The fit is a loose 0.032"....which is enough to allow a wobble.

For the moment the rubber floor mat cut into pieces may be the best solution until somebody tries making a bushing to tighten up the fit between the two hubs.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 02/16/14 at 18:39:41

Yes, the inner race of the pulley bearing is both totally trapped and 100% aligned by the big bolt and wheel bearings,  inner spacers, brake hub, outer spacers, etc.   When you clinch the big bolt and nut down, you are putting tons of clamp pressure on the inner races -- they aren't moving around like you might think they are.

What allows the "lateral movement" of the rear pulley to the degree you actually see it is the radial and lateral clearances in the ball bearing itself, expressed out over the radial distance from balls and races out to the rim of the big pulley.   It gets a multiplier projection effect which only gets larger as the bearing gets some wear on it.

By using the rubber mat pieces, you are trying to stop the total range of motion permitted by the inner race/balls/outer race clearances from totally expressing itself.   You are also putting a slight side load on the ball bearing system which will wear in to accommodate it eventually.

It is a good trick ...... but misalignment and noise will still occur on occasion as your matting wears to allow it (or your bearings wear, take your pick).

Another path to take is to BEVEL the tooth portion of the belt with an angle grinder at 10-15o angle, removing more material at the tips of the belt teeth and stopping the grind marks when they reach the relatively thin but wide corded portion of the belt.  

Also using the grinder to very lightly bevel the burr edge of the inner edge of the stamped steel guide plate is also a good idea since burrs on that stamped surface can cause noise and excessive belt side wear.

Kissing off the stamped steel flat guide on the inner edge of the big and little pulleys and beveling the TEETH portion of the belt itself yields a system that does not make noise and that can withstand misalignment without getting indigestion and making noise all the time.

Some of us use really FAT tires, and we have to do some fairly severe intentional misalignment of the belt system in order to get it all to fit in the space provided.   We have learned how to run a misaligned belt without it making noise all the time.

Check it out this summer on the trip, I have run so misaligned for so long the teeth on my big pulley have a positively crooked wear pattern to them, yet no belt noise ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 02/16/14 at 18:56:39

And now, for the lasting enjoyment of all the meticulous belt tracking tuners out there ....

Jack it up and crank it up and get it to tracking perfectly in first or second gear the way you think it ought to be .....

Be meticulous, like you always are ....  get her plumb perfect, jest the way you like it ....

Now put your bike in neutral and turn the rear wheel backwards 10 times by hand to simulate a deceleration load from rolling off the throttle abruptly (or down shifting and decelerating).

Sucker goes flying over to the other shoulder within a turn or two, don't it?   Builds up a bit of pressure by the 5th or 6th turn, don't it?

Won't track worth squat in decelerate mode if you tune it to perform perfectly in accelerate mode, huh ???

Now that you know this factoid, be mindful of when your belt actually squeaks on you mostly.   Acceleration or deceleration?  
Heavy throttle or slowing to a stop?  
So, which surfaces and belt edges are actually doing the rubbing/squeaking?

Durn, it makes you think some, don't it?

Have you ever looked for burrs on the flat stamped parts on your smaller front pulley?    It plays on the front side too, you know.

Your pulley system does this sort of stuff on you all the time ..... moving from rubbing on one side over to rubbing on the other side.

Roll Eyes

Hint:     Bevel your belt's tooth edges (both sides)  and bevel the inner edge of the stamped steel part of the rear pulley and on the front pulley too, lube her up good with your favorite wax or silicone and be done with the issue permanently.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 02/17/14 at 05:32:13

I agree that the inner races of the wheel bearings are all locked into place when you crank down on the axle nut......they aren't going anywhere.

I also agree that the 3 outer bearing races rotate around the axle at the same rotational speed as the wheel - with the exception of a tiny movement of the pulley hub forward/backward as the rubber cushions are compressed under acceleration or engine braking.

I also agree that the 2 wheel hub bearings are tight....and not moving around.

I also agree that the rubber floor mat spacers are taking up play and placing some pressure on the pulley hub bearing.....although I am not sure it is more pressure than the wobbly pulley places on the bearing as the belt pulls the pulley out of alignment with the rear wheel.

The pulley hub bearing is also a tight interference fit in the pulley hub and it is not moving around.  And I also agree that this pulley bearing is subject to becoming a bit loose as it gets miles on it.

The point I am trying to make is that the "wobble" that occurs at the rear pulley is not an ideal situation.  It causes the pulley hub to continually move out of alignment with the rear wheel when the bike is moving....the pulley hub is acting like a Univeral Joint.  If the pulley hub and wheel hub had a tighter fit where the two slip together....maybe even a bushing to prevent the two pieces of aluminum from galling, the pulley hub wobble would not exist.  As built, the pulley hub is placing an eccentric load on the pulley hub bearing without the benefit of adequate support from the wheel hub.

« Last Edit: 02/17/14 at 09:58:26 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 02/17/14 at 09:50:21

Yep to all of that.  That is a very nice summary of the design and its limitations.

Point I was trying to make is that folks who "adjust the tracking of the belt" using the axle adjusters when the wheel is being driven forward by the motor are missing half the action --- and indeed they are setting themselves up for trouble when decelerating.

Mine always squeaked pretty good on deceleration because it had a strong decel bias because I had set the tracking up only when accelerating.  

MMRanch was the first one to tell me about beveling the belt edges, I tried it and it worked.

Smiley

Now I don't have to sweat the adjustment of the rear wheel to suit the pulley tracking, instead I can go for my best wheel alignment and not  have to worry about "belt tracking" at all.

(for me best wheel alignment includes a lot of oddball concerns you don't likely have, such as keeping the belt from hitting the guard and the tire from hitting the swing arm)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 02/17/14 at 10:00:10

I have a feeling some are having issues either with mfg tolerances or bent swingarm.

Since there's a bearing on the pulley, it's being held in position with the spacers and hub.

Maybe the bearing should be a tapered bearing.

Anybody know what kind of bearing is in the pulley?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 02/17/14 at 10:24:25

Verslagen:

The pulley bearing is a simple ball bearing......located just about inline with the center of the pulley.

What was a surprise to me however is that the backside of the pulley hub has a machined stub that slides inside the wheel hub - the problem is there is too much clearance to keep the pulley hub in alignment.  As Oldfellor commented - the pulley bearing initially takes the load and keeps things pretty straight until it gets some wear.

I will get some photos tonight.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 02/17/14 at 10:41:33

It is a single row caged ball bearing, a LARGE one so it has some inherit ability to "pivot" built into it's ball race clearances.

What we call side to side movement is actually a pivot motion, a linearly extended magnification of what the inner and outer races are able to do offset to each other (the balls have some clearance in them to the races after all).

Inner race is trapped, but both it and the top race have clearance to the balls.  The top race is trapped by the pulley but the whole affair can rock back and forth some.

Normally, the rubber bumpers don't interfere with this motion as they only buffer back and forth.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 02/18/14 at 06:25:28

This is a photo of the rear wheel hub.  The wheel bearing is pushed into the wheel hub, and the same bore that the wheel bearing slides down is the receiving bore for the extension of the back side of the pulley hub.

This is the backside of the pulley hub.  The extension in the center with the machined surface slides into the wheel hub......Loosely.  If the fit were tighter, it would eliminate the ability for the pulley hub to wobble. (The metal axle spacer is removed for this photo so you can see the backside of the bearing on the other end of the pulley hub).

This is the outside of the pulley hub.  The rubber seal is just outside the bearing that rides on the axle shaft.

It would not be ideal to install a bushing in the wheel hub to take up the extra clearance - as you would have to remove it to replace a wheel bearing (It is also impossible to put the entire rear wheel in a normal sized lathe to make a bushing).  It therefore would be best to make a bushing to fit onto the pulley hub.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 02/18/14 at 09:19:19

OK Dave, put the through axle bolt through all the spacers and clinch it up tight -- can the "extension in the center with the machined surface slides into the wheel hub......Loosely" move any laterally at all or is it supported internally by the axle OD and compression bound to the inner bearing race and other inner bearing race OD sized spacers on either side to make a clamped-together very firm assembly?

Yes, it has some room left for it to rock on the bearing -- the motion of the bearing rock could be stopped by the decreasing the defined clearance space you refer to to keep the pulley from rocking as much.  

But might that space be there to keep the ball bearing from getting damaged by pinching the balls and busting the race due to axle nut clamp up pressure if that surface were do drag during assembly?

Thinking about it simplistically, if the spacers and bearing races weren't allowed to 100% stack up correctly (say by that flange dragging) then a ball bearing could get destroyed by compression forces when you clinched the nut up tight.  

Certainly the wheel would not be free rotating for long if a bearing was put under any sort of strong side load for any reason.

Me, I think the rear pulley is allowed BY DESIGN to rock on the ball bearing some, making a broad but pretty short arc out at the belt end of the rear pulley rock motion.

If Suzuki left room in the "extension in the center with the machined surface slides into the wheel hub......Loosely" to allow the bearing clearance rocking/pivot motion, well, they might possibly think they are preserving the pulley bearing's life from some sort of loading that they thought might be adverse to the life of the bearing?

================

But in the end we are all saying the same thing, the rear pulley by design moves freely side to side in a short arc, and that arc tells the belt to track from one side to the other which is determined by whether it is accelerating or decelerating at the time.

Rubbing of the entire flat side surface of the toothed belt across a flat side of a pulley flange makes a really irritating squeak sound, yep it does.    We all agree on that point, I think.

So,

Dave has arranged to decrease the range of his arc by stuffing some extra material inside the hub.   He accepts that he is perhaps side loading his pulley bearing slightly by doing so but he has decreased the side to side arc and improved his tracking.    

(tracking error being a thing which can aggravate the squeak condition)

Oldfeller and MM have added a loading ramp to the belt edge and added some deburring and a bit of infeed ramp to the small and large pulley.  Because their belts can load and unload freely now and only rest on the flange on the thin wide fiber-filled section of the belt their noise has abated permanently.

(and the broad plastic teeth on the belt no longer rub the sides of anything to make that aggravating squeak sound)

Cheesy

Two different ways to skin the cat -- anybody got a third way to skin the kitty?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold belt......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.