Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Cold belt......
Reply #16 - 01/19/14 at 15:29:34

Serowbot wrote on 01/19/14 at 01:09:02:
Just what I need...

...a waxy mustache... Huh...

Gee.....that sounds like it would make it easier to slip off  Huh

OK, I did the loosen axle and tightened the side the belt was "rubbing" against, and backed off the same number on the opposite side, tightened all down, and spun the wheel. After moving 10 rotations in, and 10 out on the other side, I still can't get it centered, tho I do have gaps now on both sides, BUT....I am one complete notch off of the big notch (optimal center I guess) one forward of, the other side one behind....
Is this ok? Do I have a bad wheel, or? I have never dropped the bike or hit anything, could my spokes me amiss, not true?
Seems to ride fine, the squeak is all gone....perhaps I need to quit reading Bot's paranoid post, as now I am freaking over...well hell, I don't even know, I guess I'm just a freak! Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 01/19/14 at 15:51:00

Grin... no noise, no problem...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 01/19/14 at 16:17:05

just as long as it's a even number mark you're fine.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/19/14 at 16:20:37

Put a string under the belt on the front pulley & roll it till the string is at the closest point to the motor. Run string back to rear pulley. If its cocked, it aint right, Thats how we lined up big pumps to their drive engines in the oil field,,& when youre runnin 4 to 6 or even 8 belts, its gotta be lined up or some will be slack, others tight. & You dont wanna belt comin off & kicking the others out & gettin mangled up,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 01/20/14 at 05:13:05

It is possible that the rear hub has too much wobble....and the pulley is not lned up with the rear wheel.  I am not sure why the bearing and hub setup allow so much wobble.  My bike is pretty low mileage, and I found that the rear hub had too much wobble.

Grab your rear pulley and see if you can wobble it very much forward and back.  If it moves a tiny bit....it is OK.  If it has a lot of wobble, try cutting some shims to take up the extra play.  I used some left over rubber floor mat that I bought at Lowe's.  I put a small dab of RTV on the back of each one to hold it in place when it is being installed.  Don't use something too thick, the hub still needs to be able to compress at the axle so that the bearings are all held tightly.

IMG_1098_001.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 01/20/14 at 06:21:58

Dave... that pic always confuses me. Do you add the new rubber on top of the current rubber pieces? or on the struts like you have them in the picture?
I am hoping on top of the rubber, because you have them shaped the same.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 01/20/14 at 06:40:26

old_rider wrote on 01/20/14 at 06:21:58:
Dave... that pic always confuses me. Do you add the new rubber on top of the current rubber pieces? or on the struts like you have them in the picture?
I am hoping on top of the rubber, because you have them shaped the same.....

old_rider:

If you saw the blades on the pully hub....the photo would not be confusing.  The rubber pieces I cut span the space between the pulley hub blades......and the new piece sits on top of one half the original cushion and extends over to the adjoining cushion.  If you look a the pieces at the direct bottom and bottom right in the photo....that is where the new pieces sit when installed.  I left the other ones kind of random so people could see what was underneath them.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 01/20/14 at 08:01:48

That's the same rubber matting that I made my tank stripe and knee pads from...
I also resoled an old pair of boots with it... Grin...
Handy stuff... Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 01/20/14 at 10:19:24

& I tightened up the rubbers with strips of inner tube, too. What Dave is doing fills an important gap, I took out play in the rotation. I wish I had done what he did AND what I did.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/20/14 at 10:39:06

I really don't understand why there is not some form of "bearing" interconnection between the pulley hub and wheel hub?  The outstide of the pulley hub has a bearing so that it can stay centered and rotate along the axle - but the back portion of the pulley hub is unsupported except of the interplay with the rubber cushions.  I understand the goal of the rubber cushions is to allow the hub to rotate a bit and take up some shock - but there should be a bearing or bushing on the backside of the pulley hub that aligns the pully hub with the wheel hub....while still allowing some rotation (not wobble)?  The tension of the belt tends to make the pulley "lean" forward....which will make the belt slide toward the outside of the pulley.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 01/20/14 at 10:42:43

Dave wrote on 01/20/14 at 10:39:06:
 The tension of the belt tends to make the pulley "lean" forward....which will make the belt slide toward the outside of the pulley.

This is the reason I don't bother with the "belt alignment"...  It's gonna' move...
I just align the wheel...  Huh...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 01/20/14 at 11:23:53

Dave wrote on 01/20/14 at 10:39:06:
I really don't understand why there is not some form of "bearing" interconnection between the pulley hub and wheel hub?
There is, the pulley has a diameter that inserts into the hub.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #28 - 01/20/14 at 11:43:24

Centering worked best for me with the rear tire off the ground, adjust, start engine, put it in first and watch the belt. Fine tune as needed then tighten it all up.

Is there any benefit to taking the belt off and soaking it overnight in some type of solution to add lubricity to the belt?  Not sure what just wondering.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 01/20/14 at 14:20:08

I wouldnt go there, BUT, If ya do ever pull the belt, mark it & put it back on so its working the same way.,may not matter, but, its cant be a bad idea.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:31:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold belt......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.