Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new mechanical heart... a little question (Read 249 times)
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: new mechanical heart... a little question
Reply #15 - 01/02/14 at 20:53:36

native mechanical heart my little Savage I think has an unusual noise in the cylinder head. I think that is wear of camshaft journal (though the gap I have not measured), moreover, began to appear dull thud when the engine is under load(I think that's wear main crankshaft bearings). that's why I think about replacing the engine....

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 01/03/14 at 04:26:48

This may sound a bit far fetched - but have you tried tightening the motor mounts - especially the one at the top of the cylinder head?  This has been known to make some noise when it is loose.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #17 - 01/03/14 at 06:15:11

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/03/14 at 09:31:28

It appears to be a case of minor, or beginning cam failure.  Not sure if the damage will continue to get worse if you now use good oil - or if using good oil will stop the failure.

Here in the states where a cam can be welded and reqround for $ 165 plus shipping.......I would get it repaired and have it ground to a performance cam.

I am afraid that the engine you bought may have some good usable parts - but I am not convinced the cam is one of the parts that can be used again.  You always have option of using your existing cam if it looks better than the one you photographed.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 01/03/14 at 09:52:22

Like Dave said, it is just the bare beginnings of cam tip spaulling.

Will the spaulling progress?   You can certainly minimize it by using a good ZDDP oil like Rotella and by boosting it with a good booster up to 1,500 ppm ZDDP.     Stop the spaulling now while it is minimal.

Here's a fact -- MOST NEWER SAVAGES have this condition or worse since they were sold with a crankcase of modern oil in them and have never seen a proper oil, ever.

Shame that, but Suzuki oil brand is only 1,000 ppm and quite frankly that was measured several years ago (who knows what it is down to now).

I'd put the cam back in with a good boosted crankcase of oil and run it until it fails (many many many miles before that happens) and then I would get the cam welded up and reground by Web CAM to a better profile.

Some things older folks begin to realize that might just outlive them -- I think my Savage engine might be one of such.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #20 - 01/03/14 at 19:45:30

[quote author=51727A787B72727B6C1E0 link=1388456611/15#19 date=1388771542]
I would get the cam welded up and reground by Web CAM to a better profile.

I checked webcam's site and they said the "hot cam" requires a high compression cylinder/piston.  Can you do a cam upgrade with the stock piston?

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #21 - 01/03/14 at 21:40:42

I'm sorry... I thought this camshaft even serve. I thought  that we can grind a surface camshaft... that'll have to send it in the trash. I'll look at the rest of the content of this engine: what it is still left to live

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 01/04/14 at 03:35:09

[quote author=57504152414A54455148240 link=1388456611/15#20 date=1388807130]Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/03/14 at 09:52:22:

I would get the cam welded up and reground by Web CAM to a better profile.

I checked webcam's site and they said the "hot cam" requires a high compression cylinder/piston.  Can you do a cam upgrade with the stock piston?

You can install the Stage 1, 2 or 3 cams with the stock piston.  None of them are really "hot" cams....and there is no reason to install a hot cam in a Savage.  The big single does not make horsepower at high rpm's.....it makes torque.  Oldfellor has a Stage 2 cam which is the wildest grind for the Savage, he has a stock piston, and his bike runs great.  If you install a Wiseco it will make more torque and horsepower - but all three grinds work with the stock piston.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #23 - 01/04/14 at 19:24:42

You can install the Stage 1, 2 or 3 cams with the stock piston.  None of them are really "hot" cams... - but all three grinds work with the stock piston. [/quote]

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear! Cheesy

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #24 - 01/19/14 at 10:08:59

in the General process of the return to life of the new mechanical heart for my baby continues. what else can you do in winter? Wink
and because of the desire to completely disassemble the engine "then" I have not, and current repairs I decided to make a lasting one. so, when I review the Carter discovered quite significant (at the end of the crankshaft) the clearance of the bearing. I certainly understand that some of the backlash of the bearing should be. but how strong? if replace him. what class of accuracy of the bearing should I choose? you I can tell the guys?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new mechanical heart... a little question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.