Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Lets see if this forum can help me and my savage. (Read 510 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Lets see if this forum can help me and my sava
Reply #30 - 12/29/13 at 21:31:13

Good job Chris!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 12/29/13 at 22:58:56

Ive tried to move the chain on the gears,, I couldnt do it. Maybe the PO had the cam out & got it back in wrong?  Did you measure the tensioner to see how far it is extended?
I musta missed it, but did you put a Versy tensioner in?
Anyway, good job. Pretty quick gettin in & out.. takes me that long to get things sorted & cleaned.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #32 - 12/30/13 at 00:51:59

Chris99ls650 wrote on 12/29/13 at 15:22:51:
Pulled it apart lastnight and sure enough timing was off. Fixed that put it back together and she started right up.

Awesome! I may need to do my cam chain, so did you remove the head etc. with the engine still on the bike?  How did that go? Any tricks? I've heard it's easier to remove the engine to do head work.

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #33 - 12/30/13 at 09:56:35

No i did it with the motor still on the bike. It wasnt to bad.

Though things would be easier with a motorcycle lift. I should invest in one since ive brought 38 bikes back to life in the past 3 years.

Id rather die screaming holy nuts what a ride
  IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #34 - 12/30/13 at 09:59:22

I just unbolted the cam gear from the cam pulled it towards me a little while keeping tension on the chain. Then lined up the crank marks and the cam marks put it back on with TDC and bolted it up.

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #35 - 12/30/13 at 10:01:19

Now im thinking of how i can start making a way cheaper tensioner myself. I will take some pics of what i have in mind and can me made very easy. It will be a manual adjuster but heck you need to keep and eye on a stock one so i figured every 5k it should be checked and tightend a little.

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #36 - 12/30/13 at 10:03:01

A adjustable end link should do the trick just fine and you can pick up the parts at lowes or any other hardware store.

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #37 - 12/30/13 at 10:10:26

Here's a pic

IMG_20131230_120704.jpg

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #38 - 12/30/13 at 10:48:43

Now that is clever! I'm just wondering how loose the chain can get (or noisy) in between adjustments since the stock tensioner is spring loaded and keeps a constant pressure on the chain to take up the slack as it gets looser.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 12/30/13 at 11:14:22

Well I am anxious for you to install that tensioner and let us know how it works.  I would suggest you measure the length between bolt centers before you take the stock one out.....then adjust your manual one to match.  You might also use some form of metal lock nuts for the jam nuts.....nuts that have a tight friction fit just to keep them from vibrating loose.

Several people offer manual tensioner replacements for sport bikes, as the stock automatic tensioners can fail.  The only basic difference is that those can be adjusted from outside the engine, and don't require you to take the engine case off to make an adjustment.

Get going.....install that thing are start racking up some durability testing miles!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #40 - 12/30/13 at 13:32:59

Chain might last longer too without heating and stretching and then the tensioner coming out another notch and holding it there.  It'll get to go back to size a little easier.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #41 - 12/30/13 at 14:25:58

Not to throw a wrench in your line of thinking but.... spinning chains change tension with speed and torque. If you have a solid tensioner, it will not allow the chain to flex as it needs to do as it spins around the gears, might want to add a spring side to that somehow.
I would be a bit afraid to throw a solid tensioner in there, the tension plate would wear really quick with the chain stretching and tightening as it move around the gears.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 12/30/13 at 15:43:45

old_rider wrote on 12/30/13 at 14:25:58:
Not to throw a wrench in your line of thinking but.... spinning chains change tension with speed and torque. If you have a solid tensioner, it will not allow the chain to flex as it needs to do as it spins around the gears, might want to add a spring side to that somehow.
I would be a bit afraid to throw a solid tensioner in there, the tension plate would wear really quick with the chain stretching and tightening as it move around the gears.

old_rider:

Our stock tensioner has no give built in.  It has a ratchet that does not allow any release in tension.  The spring pushes the tensioner out when the engine is cold...then as the engine heats up and the chain becomes tight.......or as the engine pulls on the chain.....there is no release. On occasion the tensioner may even add a notch of tension when the chain is made a bit slack by the acceleration or deceleration of the engine....sport bike riders are having that problem with their bikes that accelerate very quickly.  The solution they have is to replace their automatic tensioner with a manual (solid) one.

A properly adjusted manual tensioner will be a tad loose when cold - but will not keep adding too much tension with each heat cycle.  Only time will tell how often they have to be adjusted manually.....but I believe it won't be very often.

Here is a Sport Bike manual tensioner.  

photo.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 12/30/13 at 22:20:55

You mite not be the typical Savage "newbie". I apologize for having failed to ask more questions about YOU instead of the bike. If you wanna tell about some of the work youve done resurrecting some of those bikes I know Id read it,
Others have threatened to go with a manual adjuster. I can see ( mentally, visualize) several ways to go at it. If I was gonna do it Id really want to modify the side cover. An inspection plate that allowed access to that area, avoiding having to pull the whole side, dodging the pegs/exhaust & all that hassle, thats what just keeps coming to the front for me,
Or, an adjuster that can be tightened kinda like a brake drum adjuster. A slot cut out of the cover that would allow a slim flat blade & snug it up.
That little turnbuckle with a washer notched on the edge & a spring that drags on it to keep it from backing off, That thing may be too fat, may seem some clearance issues, but theres my mental image of what Id try. Until the sides off & parts are in hand, thers no telling just what there is room for.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 12/31/13 at 08:24:57

The manual tensioner proposed has spherical ends, which will allow angular movements of each end - while the stock tensioner has rigid ends that will prevent angular movements.  The chain rail has an offset mount - which might tend to put an eccentric load on the chain rail and promote twisting.  Not sure if this is an issue.....but I wanted to bring it to your attention.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:22:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lets see if this forum can help me and my savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.