Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Lets see if this forum can help me and my savage. (Read 510 times)
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Re: Lets see if this forum can help me and my sava
Reply #15 - 12/27/13 at 09:44:40

Yes thats about what mine looked. Did the aftermarket conversion on it but it still isnt starting.

Id rather die screaming holy nuts what a ride
  IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #16 - 12/27/13 at 12:46:35

Now im starting to wonder if the DC silenoid is bad itself. Correct me if im wrong. If the DC silenoid is not working properly then it could keep the valves open at all times therefore releasing compression constatly. If so then would that push air out of the carb into the airbox instead out of the exhaust. Which could keep the bike from starting or hitting at all?????
Is this correct?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 12/27/13 at 13:15:26

Is it turning over? (make sure the piston moves, it could have frozen in place if sitting awhile) Have you checked the safety switches? (kickstand, clutch, on/off) to make sure they were not engaged? Clutch has to be held in to start,, even in neutral...its a Suzuki thing (not sure you would know this)
What is the voltage going to the starter?(you might have spark but not enough to keep it running)
If you have not gone over all the electrical connections (might be your friend is not as knowledgeable as you are about bikes) this bike tends to vibrate a bit.
Hope my little contribution helps.... its all I could think of right off the bat.
Um, fuses?.... don't think it applies, but you never know! finicky critters sometimes.... ya gotta learn her ways to satify her! Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #18 - 12/27/13 at 13:58:31

Yes the motor turns over. I have checked all electrical things such as clutch in kill switch on kick stand up or down doesnt change a thing. Fuses are good. Piston is cranking. Going to try and unhook the connections to the DC silenoid and see if thats it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 12/27/13 at 14:05:26

The decompression solenoid pulls on a cable, and it pulls a small lever near the spark plug that holds the exhaust valve open just long enough to get the engine spinning - then it releases.  Don't take anything apart yet, just hit the starter and watch that lever........and see if the solenoid opens and closes the lever briefly when you hit the starter.  If the lever returns to horizontal - the valves can work properly.

Do you know anything about the age of the battery?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #20 - 12/27/13 at 14:33:58

I just bought a brand new battery lastnight and had to charge for 12 hours so i will be trying different things tonight.

First im going to do a compression test- should be 140-200 I think.
Needs to be serviced around 116psi   I think.

Second Im going to try some starter fluid.

If that dont get it to hit then im going to disconnect the DC sileniod to see if the valves are being stuck open.

If none of that does anything for it then im going to check the timing on it.

I can see the DC silenoid trying to work but i havnt looked at it long enough to inspect excatly what its doing. I will tonight as well.

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #21 - 12/27/13 at 18:54:50

Well I think Ive narrowed it down to the timing being off. Wish me luck on attempting to
Doing this myself.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 12/27/13 at 22:28:15

Give a squirt of oil into the sparkplug hole...
Constant trying, without starting, can create a gas wash that removes the oil seal from the rings and will drop compression to nuttin'...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 12/27/13 at 22:38:03

Take a volt meter & test the battery voltage. New? Great,, Ive bought a new battery that wasnt healthy. You charged it 12 hours, with what kinda charger? How many amps? Is it a sealed battery?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #24 - 12/27/13 at 23:14:05

Chris99ls650 wrote on 12/27/13 at 18:54:50:
Well I think Ive narrowed it down to the timing being off. Wish me luck on attempting to
Doing this myself.

If all you did was replace the tension plate, the timing should not be off. Its sounding more like a fuel issue, did you try starter fluid or wd40 in the intake?
Sounds like you know the route for trouble shooting, but unless you unhooked the chain off the pulleys timing should not be an issue. Unless yer bud had similar problems....
Re-align your mark, set the piston at top, reset the chain, replace the tension plate...and try again... that's all I can tell you... hope the guru's have a better plan that is faster and easier.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 12/28/13 at 00:44:07

Did you take the cam chain off? Did you turn the motor while the tensioner was off?

If the tensioner hadnt puked its guts into the engine, then putting the Versy in will make it go & be safe for a few thousand miles anyway,
You Did get a Versy, right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #26 - 12/28/13 at 06:49:50

Yes versy tensioner. Yes brand new battery. I didn't see the bike run myself just taking a friends word. I didn't take the cam chain off. When I got the bike it was all there except the cam chain tensioner. It was already off the bike as a mech shop had told my friend that what was wrong with the bike. I myself never rolled the bike in gear without the tensioner. But who knows if some one did. I've tried spraying starting fluid down the plug hole itself then try and start. And it just gives me a couple pop then just cranks over and over. Ill test the brand new battery here in a min. Really Wana see this thing start so I can work on cosmetics. This is already a very clean bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 12/28/13 at 09:03:13

Put some oil in the plug hole, not a lot, then spikn it over, then put the plug in. Spray starter juice in the air filter area. Now you should have good compression ( oil in cylinder) & fuel ( starter juice). If youve got spark, it otta hit. If it hits & dies, its fuel. Take the carb off & clean it up.
We can walk ya thru that.

IP Logged
Chris99ls650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joplin Mo
Reply #28 - 12/29/13 at 15:22:51

Pulled it apart lastnight and sure enough timing was off. Fixed that put it back together and she started right up.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 12/29/13 at 16:33:59

Chris99ls650 wrote on 12/29/13 at 15:22:51:
Pulled it apart lastnight and sure enough timing was off. Fixed that put it back together and she started right up.

We don't always give the right advice... we just keep you talkin' 'till you fix it...
Then we take the credit...  Huh...

Yer' welcome..Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:13:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lets see if this forum can help me and my savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.