Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Better than Green Slime (Read 102 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Better than Green Slime
12/26/13 at 10:26:27

El Cheepo tubes from China,, seems thats all I can find for the little tires on the generator. They tend to bust loose where the tube hooks to the brass. The Fix A Flat stuff I tried didnt do it, so I opened a can of crack filler expanding foam, Hadda taper the nozzle some to get it to thread into the tube, I guess I better go have a look at it after spending a cold nite with a load on it,, HA! Up Tite, hard as a rock,, LOusy little tubes cost around 7 bucks. Ive had to replace 2 in just the last few years. Im done with that.

I just brought this from another forum, & now that I think about it, I can see how it would MAYBE be a passable solution for a flat, on the road.
If the tire is worn enough to make it silly to pay to have it removed from the rim & remounted, then, maybe filling it up with expanding foam isnt such a horrible idea.. Sure gonna be a booger to get off the rim,,mite hafta resort to some cut off disk in a grinder action..
Just something to think about, what do you folks think?  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Re: Better than Green Slime
Reply #1 - 12/26/13 at 10:45:38

Make the ride a little rougher, only problem would be a good consistant fill all the way around and would it compact itself down along the way?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/26/13 at 11:16:15

I want to do this with the dolly tires.
for m/c tires?
nah, foam compacts and you'll have a tough time getting it fixed.  
last chance tires? maybe.   Huh
burn out tires? yup.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 12/26/13 at 11:37:07

... maybe filling it up with expanding foam isnt such a horrible idea.. Sure gonna be a booger to get off the rim,,mite hafta resort to some cut off disk in a grinder action..
Just something to think about, what do you folks think?  
[/quote]

I worked with expanding foam a lot in construction. There would be no way to control the expansion and uniformity in a tire. The stuff has a mind of its own.  It's not like slime where you could put it in then ride it to spin it into place. And it will be a beeotch to remove the tire and clean it off the rim later.  

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 12/26/13 at 12:13:31

JOG we've toyed with this idea at the dealership fo those pesky little tires you're talking about,just haven't tried it yet.

As for road tires on a bike Huh Undecided maybe,like you said,as a last chance kinda thing. It would be better riding 50 miles to town or home at 35mph on bumpy tires than walkin' or pushin' . As for cleaning up....we've got tubes in our tires so the mess should be minimal.......unless ya got one Hades of a leak Shocked!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 12/26/13 at 19:20:09

One job I had, we used 3 golf carts for the maintenance department. We foam filled the tires on them to prevent flats. The foam filled tires lasted but made for a ruff ride.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 12/26/13 at 19:22:38

I got an old chevy s'10 frame I use for a round-bale feeder.   Welded cross-members in the bottom and post all the way around.   Well I had the idea to fill the tires with "FOAM" ...  Roll Eyes
Kinda had mixed results with it.

First I tried putting it in through the valve-core.  Lips Sealed
Next I tried taking the valve core out and putting in in the valve-core hole ...  Lips Sealed   It wouldn't go all the way around the tire ???  Undecided

So I bored 1/2" holes in the tire at 4 points around the tread ...  Tongue ... kinda worked  Shocked

but what really did good was to break the tire down on one side , and squirt it in all the way around then wait for it to  "GROW ! "  Well the last three tires seated and look good and the first on still has problems.    Grin

The only time the trailer moves is when the cows have stomped mud knee deep all the way around it and I need to reloacate it.   So I grab it with the frontend loader and set it down somewhere else.  

Its been 3 years and still working !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 12/26/13 at 21:41:37

Jog... on my old craftsman generator I cut up a 2 X 12 into 2 wheels and drilled a hole thru the axle, used about 2 washers on the inside (for spacing) and about 4 on the outside and put a cotter key thru the axle hole. No more flat spots on my wheels!!!  Smiley

Have yet to do this for my new generac generator..... dang.... yet another project... I'll take pics this time.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/26/13 at 22:28:13

If this doesnt work out well,, Im thinking this mite be the cheap, easy answer

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/IIT-10-PU-No-Flat-Foam-Filled-Tire-5-8-ID-with-Load-Ca...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 12/26/13 at 22:29:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/26/13 at 22:28:13:

IIT 10" PU No Flat Foam Filled Tire 5/8" ID with Load Capacity Up to 260 Lbs

| Add to watch list
Seller information
pri-ind (18909 Yellow Shooting star icon for feedback score in between 10,000 to 24,999) About pri-ind
99.8% Positive feedback
Save this seller
See other items
Visit store:
Ebay Stores PRI Industries Inc
Item Information
Item condition:
New
Quantity:
4 available / 4 sold
Price:
US $16.98

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 12/27/13 at 13:49:23

If your generator is over 6,000 watts, no amount of rubber wheel is going to stop the flat spots. My new 8,000+ generac has solid wheels and they get flat spots, I have to roll it around every other week, to the flat spot doesn't get too bad.
I don't have anymore 2 x 12 pieces left so I am going to have to think of something else to use, time to do another backyard bill production.  Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/27/13 at 23:07:12

Flat spots dont bother me, its when the internal pressure of the tube = atmospheric pressure that gets me down, Ive bought 2 or 3 of those crappy tubes ( about $7.00 ea.) in the last 4 or 5 years. I dont want to be trying to solve a flat tire issue when I need to drag the generator out of the shed & up to the house. & No, making a pass thru to check the tires on it every few days isnt gonna fit into my life,The tires Simply Must be dependable, & a coupla hunks O 2X10 are not outta the question. I Like that idea.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 12/27/13 at 23:24:52

The craftsman 2 x 12 wood tires were pressure treated oak... hard as marble...b.i.t.c.h to cut and shape.....
I am thinking of cutting the tires off the rims and putting wood pieces glued to the rim and a thick pvc pipe around the wood with countersunk screws to hold the pvc on to the wood.
Could shape the edges of the pvc to make it semi-round, maybe use some schedule 2 pvc..... the thick sewer stuff....gotta find some... not sure if I have some in the shed.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #13 - 12/31/13 at 05:21:24

I once had a homemade trailer to pull behind the mower, with the rear tires from another mower, homemade, like I said. When one of those tires when flat I took it off, laid it on its side and filled it about half full of concrete, just happened to have it laying around, let it set put it back on and off we went.  Worked like a charm! When the other tire went flat, I did the same thing, no flat spots, EVER!  Cheesy

But a trailer with two cement wheels pulls heavy. Undecided

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:28:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Better than Green Slime

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.