Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wtf oil use... About to send it down the road. (Read 314 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wtf oil use... About to send it down the road.
12/26/13 at 08:38:54

Ok, I am using bike master oil. The weight that is called for (yes I plan on switching at the next change). 1986 with 15521 miles...I filled it up to the tippy top line....I rode 40 miles...yes forty, and it is down to the bottom line... No white smoke, no smell of burnt oil, no oil running down the cover, frame or block... Runs smooth, no issues with performance...no oil coming out of the breather tube.

It was 45 degrees when I went out, I checked the oil level on the road and it was fine...is it my down shifting...is it magic? Is it time to sell? I don't exactly have time to do a full rebuild...I don't even know where to start.

Sent from my iPad

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Re: Wtf oil use... About to send it down the road.
Reply #1 - 12/26/13 at 09:09:03

ive got an 87 w 22k and have sort of the same problem... not in 40 miles tho usually i have to add about a half a quart of oil every 1500 miles... make sure u keep the oil up in it trust me i know from experience... the cam chain and rocker arms arent cheap to replace (about 350 dollars just for parts) sounds like the valve seals might need replacing... but a quart of oil is a lot cheaper peace of mind  you can always tear it down when u have the time.... hope this points u in the right direction

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/26/13 at 09:30:15

You probably need new rings. Could be wasn't broke in right or the choke was left on way to to long or jetted way to rich or bad petcock.

WWW   IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #3 - 12/26/13 at 09:46:01

verslagen1 wrote on 12/26/13 at 09:30:15:
You probably need new rings. Could be wasn't broke in right or the choke was left on way to to long or jetted way to rich or bad petcock.
wouldnt bad rings make it have a hard time running due to low compression? i was just thinking that it would run rough just saying... but then again blowby would happen from weak rings too i did a compression check on mine when i rebuilt the top end last summer and had normal compression, wouldnt hurt to check the compression... just an idea Smiley

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/26/13 at 10:12:53

HOW did you ride that 40 miles? Did you ride like an old woman or Don Garlits?

Howzit start up cold? Hot?

Stock muffler? Is the oil blowby tube set up right? Its supposed to go up some before it starts trailing down & back.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/26/13 at 10:13:06

If you are burning oil the residue will be on top of the piston. Remove ol sparky and take a look. Maybe scrape the top with a screwdriver

WWW   IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/26/13 at 12:00:45

I ride moderately.
Blow by tube looks ok.
Stock everything, petcock on order.... And here are some photos of the plug and what I got off the piston...

image_132.jpg

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/26/13 at 12:03:40

And...

image_131.jpg

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #8 - 12/26/13 at 12:06:17

while u have the plug out  try the compression test

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/26/13 at 12:16:04

Yeah, tracking a kit down now. I don't have one.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 12/26/13 at 12:28:30

sparky looks ok, how old is it?

a bit of carbon on the piston

what oil you using?

WWW   IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/26/13 at 12:33:46

Spark has 1200 miles on it, oil is bike master stock weight. Going to autozone later tonight to rent a compression kit. Oil usage was 1 qrt at 500 miles 1 qrt at 600+ and 1.5 at 40 miles two days ago... I know it sounds nutty...

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #12 - 12/26/13 at 12:36:03

Clarifications necessary.  I'm assuming you're posting this because you have a history of losing oil?  Because if you just filled the oil to the fill line, and then rode the bike around, your oil level should be a bit lower than "full" because it would have circulated.

Also, oil burns to a blue smoke.  If you had white smoke, that would be coolant, and I'd be surprised if you had coolant in your Savage.  Grin

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/26/13 at 12:40:46

Oil goes bye bye. Not found ever again...I can fill it up, ride it around, fill it up, ride it around, fill it up...over and over...no smoke, none. I did however fine three bolts that have some weeping....also have a weeping around the neutral sensor...but not at the volume I am losing...

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #14 - 12/26/13 at 12:41:46

I see we were posting at the same time.  That does sound like excess consumption, by your first two measurements.  I may have gone through 1/2 quart in like 1500-2000 miles.

As for the most recent, I'm still not convinced that seems right.  From fill line to bottom of glass is not 1.5 quarts.  I'd say fill 'er up, run it, shut it down and make sure you're "full."  Then take it out for your 40 miles or whatever and see.  I'm thinking you were already low to start, and 1.5 quarts in 40 miles is a ridiculous amount.  I mean, the problem should be hitting you in the face with a bat if it were consuming that much...It would just be pouring out somewhere!  Shocked

Or you could take the approach we did back when we had old Chrysler muscle cars - "Fill the oil, check the gas!"  Grin

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:19:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wtf oil use... About to send it down the road.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.