Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wtf oil use... About to send it down the road. (Read 314 times)
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Re: Wtf oil use... About to send it down the road.
Reply #15 - 12/26/13 at 12:46:45

Jsud04 wrote on 12/26/13 at 08:38:54:
I checked the oil level on the road and it was fine

I just went back to re-read the thread, and caught this.  So it sounds like you're staying on top of checking the level.

Now I'm more stumped.  Embarrassed

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 12/26/13 at 12:51:25

The compression test should be more definitive. We will see tonight...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/26/13 at 12:54:48

All I can think of is blow by and exhausting of un burnt oil upon down shifting.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #18 - 12/26/13 at 13:03:54

Badass94Cad wrote on 12/26/13 at 12:41:46:
I see we were posting at the same time.  That does sound like excess consumption, by your first two measurements.  I may have gone through 1/2 quart in like 1500-2000 miles.

As for the most recent, I'm still not convinced that seems right.  From fill line to bottom of glass is not 1.5 quarts.  I'd say fill 'er up, run it, shut it down and make sure you're "full."  Then take it out for your 40 miles or whatever and see.  I'm thinking you were already low to start, and 1.5 quarts in 40 miles is a ridiculous amount.  I mean, the problem should be hitting you in the face with a bat if it were consuming that much...It would just be pouring out somewhere!  Shocked

Or you could take the approach we did back when we had old Chrysler muscle cars - "Fill the oil, check the gas!"  Grin
ive heard that sying before check the gas fill the oil.... but it wasnt old mopar drivers that said it it was the old fords Grin my dad calls fords 2 strokes because some of the old mustangs he had burnt as much oil as gas  Cheesy

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 12/28/13 at 13:08:18

Compression on cold cylinder closed throttle 125. Open throttle cold cylinder 150. Could it be the pcv valve...is there a valve in the breather?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 12/28/13 at 13:23:35

Jsud04 wrote on 12/28/13 at 13:08:18:
Compression on cold cylinder closed throttle 125. Open throttle cold cylinder 150. Could it be the pcv valve...is there a valve in the breather?

There is no valve.  The vent hose goes to the air box and the fumes are burned, and any oil droplets or water vapor settle into a chamber that drains into a tube that is supposed to have a cap.  You are supposed to remove the cap and drain the air box occasionally - the hose and cap are under the back of the engine and the hose drops just below the frame.

How long have you owned this bike?  Is this oil consumption a new problem?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/28/13 at 13:31:18

Since October. It's a worsening issue. A relative owned it for the past 26 years.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 12/28/13 at 14:27:03

I can't imagine why... maybe that oil is total crap?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 12/31/13 at 00:05:34

Ive never heard of that oil.. dont know hoot about it, BUT Rotella T, 15-40, Lots of us know about that stuff.. Dump the oil, toss some Rotella in, dont even bother with the filter. If you dont see an improvement, than, well,, do whatever..
You see a change? Then change the oil again AND the filter.
Or do both now,, but dont ditch the bike till youve at least tried a known Quality oil,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #24 - 12/31/13 at 07:19:48

I see we were posting at the same time.  That does sound like excess consumption, by your first two measurements.  I may have gone through 1/2 quart in like 1500-2000 miles.

even that, to me, sounds like excess. i mean i've only owned the bike one season but i never noticed a decrease in oil level.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 12/31/13 at 07:53:48

sesamestreet wrote on 12/31/13 at 07:19:48:

even that, to me, sounds like excess. i mean i've only owned the bike one season but i never noticed a decrease in oil level.

If you ride around at 45 - 60 miles an hour.....you don't use much oil.  Start pushing 65-70 and oil use goes up considerably on this big single.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #26 - 01/01/14 at 08:44:55

Makes sense I usually ride about 60-80kph on average.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #27 - 01/02/14 at 15:39:26

You just typed kPH which would not be all that fast.  I'm embarrassed to ask, but you are holding the bike level when checking oil level, otherwise the site glass is a PIA. (Your checking on the side of the road makes me ask, unless you brought Brunhilde along to hold the bike> Cheesy

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #28 - 01/02/14 at 16:00:11

My s40 did some similar things once as well.  When I changed the oil a really strange occurrence happened.  I had a bit more than 1 and 1/3 quarts in the pan.  I am absolutely certain the oil was at the correct level 2 days before I changed it.  But I didn't go anywhere or put any miles on it after I checked it in the window.  I measured it back into the container that I took it back to the auto store to double check.    The old oil had 1500 miles of which half or so were highway miles.  I changed the filter and put in rotella and haven't had any problems since.  Perhaps some bad oil?    

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:22:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wtf oil use... About to send it down the road.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.