Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stripped brass head on air to fuel adjuster (Read 78 times)
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stripped brass head on air to fuel adjuster
12/25/13 at 20:24:37

Hey Guys,
I had a really bad experience with a new mechanic shop in town. I gave them my savage because it was running really rough and backfiring a lot. Unfortunately, they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. What is worse is that they stripped the fuel to air ratio adjuster. It looks like the threads on the carb are fine and the threads on the adjuster pin are undamaged too, but the head is pretty mangled. I haven't tried to work on it yet because I am afraid to mess it up more. Has anyone had this problem? If I can't pull that pin out and fix it, does anyone make a replacement pin or would I have to buy a new carburetor?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Stripped brass head on air to fuel adjuster
Reply #1 - 12/25/13 at 21:26:39

I'm reading mixed terminology here...
Air-mix screw and "pin"... I assume they are the same thing...

You can buy a new one easily...  but,.. you do have to get the old one out...

1. you don't want to booger the threads...
2. you are working with brass and aluminum... both are very soft... (an extractor will eat through very fast)..

I'd take a careful, careful look at the surface shape of the screw... Use a strong light and a magnifying glass... see if you can find a surface irregularity to take advantage of...
Grind or file a small, flat blade, screwdriver to a sharp tip, with sharp edges.... and try to cut it into the screw head... (taking advantage of any irregularity you found)...(if you didn't find any.. make one)...
This screwdriver is a throw-away... (but, I never throw them away... may need one again)...
Try to tap it into the screw... (steel will cut brass)... with a small hammer... then, if you can gain some bite, you can unscrew it...
...(lube the mix screw up good with penetrating oil, first)...
Sacrifice the screwdriver,... and the screw... but don't hurt the carb body...

JMHO... this is a vague description of how I usually tackle similar problems... (others may have better advice, for your particular situation)...
Mostly... don't tackle a tough situation, with brute force...
Be calm, slow, and patient...
It's when you get frustrated that you will booger things up...

Best luck... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/25/13 at 22:51:20

Get a left handed bit & draw it out. Dont run it in & mess up the seat.
Once its out, you can drill it & epoxy a small bolt in, Then you can adjust it easily.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 12/25/13 at 23:12:59

Could you post a picture? I am curious as to if its the cap plug or the actual air/mix screw.
Have seen some caps that are slotted ......

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/26/13 at 09:37:58

Justin, That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.
Old Rider, unfortunately it is the screw itself. These mechanics were pretty bad, but they knew enough to drill out the plug. They knew just enough to screw thing up.
I already ordered another screw and it wasn't half as expensive as I thought it would be. At this point I just need to get that old one out without damaging the threads. I have one of those stripped head screw removers that requires you to drill a little whole and tap a reverse bit into it so you can back it out. Will tapping the brass screw mess up the threads in the aluminum? Replacing the carb body is more than I feel like paying for.
Thanks for all your input.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/26/13 at 10:17:10

Get a left hand bit & avoid any need for a hammer. Hammers & cast aluminum stuff makes me nervous. In fact, if you cant find a L/Hand bit easy enough, take a 1/16th bit & put 2 holes in the screw head, take 2 1/16th bits & poke the shank end in & use them to back the thing out.
Steer clear of those mechanics./

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/26/13 at 11:11:02

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1