Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vibration of s40 -vs-Rebel 250 (Read 245 times)
80mpg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vibration of s40 -vs-Rebel 250
12/20/13 at 20:18:12

My first question on the Savage forum.  Hello, and thank you moderators for letting me sneak over and visit from the Honda Rebel site.  

Has anyone here stepped up from a Rebel into the s40?  How is the change from vibration at 60mph.  I am a motorcycle simple purist and prefer low overhead and do my own repairs.  Started out trying to save money, but now love the hobby......so not saving much anymore (anyone been there)......motorcycling! What a thrill....keep it slow now.

I don't ride on freeways , so at 50-60mph I assume the vibration will not be an issue.  The Rebel really doesn't bother me much, for some reason there is a lot of chatter about counter balancer and vibration of the big cylinder on the s-40.  I certainly like the s-50 as a smoother twin, but that is way out of my league.  I feel the transition will be easy to the S-40?  Currently the Rebel is a rubber band and I toss it around very easy...second nature, don't really consider dropping it anymore.

Thank You for your time and input.

2009 Rebel 17K miles under my belt now.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Vibration of s40 -vs-Rebel 250
Reply #1 - 12/20/13 at 21:00:49

Hey,... who let a Rebel guy in?... Undecided...

I've never owned a Rebel. but I've ridden one...
The vibration difference is mostly in cadence more than amplitude...
A Rebel is very busy at 60mph... a Savage is relaxed....
My Savage vibrates less than a V-Star 650 or Harley Sportster at 60mph... (it starts getting busy at 70mph)...
Top end noise will be more, because there's bigger parts movin' in there...
The transition will be easy...
You won't see 80mpg much.... unless you go downhill, both ways...
I do get 60+ regularly...

There are a few here that have stepped up from a Rebel... they'll chime in shortly...
Many here, have also stepped down from big beasties... to this nice, friendly, old school machine... ...it harkens to days gone by...
0 to 40mph acceleration will floor you...
Try it,.. and you'll love it...

Welcome to SS.Com... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 12/21/13 at 01:14:23

2nd rebel rider to jump on the forum in a week, no problem tho. I have had a rebel and a savage/s40 in the garage at the same time and ridden both.
At 60 the rebel is screamin at the top of its lungs and if you want to get that extra 3mph out of it you have to lean into it.
The savage/s40 on the other hand, is in 4th gear looking to even out in 5th and not telling you to let off the throttle.
They both weigh in about the same, almost sit the same height and very similar in length. The position of seating is a bit different, you lean a little farther forward with the rebel and sit more back and upright with the savage... the s40 with its forward bars almost sits the same as the rebel.
Power... no comparison, savage/s40 all the way, torque is definitely different, the rebel is a dog, the savage/s40 will snap your head back if you twist it hard.
At 60, they will both vibrate, but the savage/s40 will be very much lessened and more comfortable, add a windscreen and you will find that the rebel will still be screaming at you while the savage/s40 will be quiet and thumpin' away.
Rebel: 35-45 city
Savage: 55-75 highway
and that's all for today.  Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 12/21/13 at 06:18:49

I know you are from the Rebel site, but a Rebel should be compared to a 250 cc Suzuki. IIRC the Rebel has 233 cc's. No offense, but I feel the Rebel doesn't have the substantial "feel" of the 650. I have not ridden the Rebel--just sat on one. Also, here in the Southeast just about any Rebel on Craigslist starts at $2000 if it runs. Check out the NEW 250 Suzuki for this year. Reviews were good, but it was considered a little underpowered. Check the reviews on the 2014 GZ250 Suzuki. Whatever you have, ride it and enjoy.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 12/21/13 at 11:42:41

80mpg wrote on 12/20/13 at 20:18:12:
... vibration at 60mph ... counter balancer and vibration of the big cylinder on the s-40....
IMO --

2004, looking at 250cc cruisers, say the specs on the 650 Savage being only 50 pounds heavier... hmmm.  Went to Del Amo Motorcycles, said the Savage was no good, too much vibration, leaks oil, people sell them back.  And we had none.   Walked away, will never buy from known liars.  Vibration?  From a 650 Thumper? DUH!

Bought one, darn! -- actually too less vibration than I expected and I would prefer.  Suzuki did too good on the counter balancer.

I am abusive, the Savage takes it, as long as you don't let the oil get too low.  Leaving work, first left traffic signal, green light, 5 pops shift 5 pops shift 5 pops shift 5 pops shift and I was cruising before I was vertical.  Feel lazy?  The Thumper will pull WOT at 20mph in fifth.  Feel frisky?  The Thumper will run down the freeway in ramp and merge traffic doing 70 mph in third.  Smoothly. 4th and 5th just lessen the vibration.

On the Interstate, 5th gear, 65 mph, the vibrations of the power strokes run 35 Hertz -- about the same vibration of a cheap motel's massage bed, and just as relaxing.

Other opinions may vary.

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 12/21/13 at 14:21:16

Long story short, I had to learn to ride out of necessity.... I started on a rebel because it was cheap and within my comfort level as a newbie. I didn't ride freeways our interstates, just a commuter thing. As I progressed in ability and confidence, the rebel wouldn't, couldn't, advance along with me. I bought a new S40 for the "fit" was just about the same as the rebel, but goodness, from the test ride the dealer MADE me take before he would sell it to me, it was a different ride. What I pondered about moving up now I had the answers. In short, it is a much safer bike to ride because it has the ability to correct some of the mistakes we can make while riding....
Go for it, you won't be sorry!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #6 - 12/22/13 at 00:07:32

I started out on a rebel. Loved it. Very light and as others say about it, forgiving. She'll always have a special place in my heart, but within six months I sold it and bought a vintage bike. Mostly because of styling. Kept that for almost a year before buying my savage. And with the savage I found "my" bike. It fits me perfectly. When I had the rebel I was a little cramped. I'm 6' long legs and arms. After longer rides my knees killed me. For not much more weight the savage has more power and better leg room.

As far as the vibration, I honestly don't notice it. Definitely more power though! Still no ton on it...yet.

My only complaints are the verslavy doesn't come factory installed and it doesn't come with 16" rear wheel. And it did take time to get used to a thumper.

I would definitely recommend it.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 12/23/13 at 07:32:17

While not an answer to comparison ( never rode a rebel)..

The Savage is very very happy at 60, even 65. At 70 it gets buzzy, and to me is just not enjoyable.. she can do it and do it just fine, but I can tell she is over-revving.

What really make my Savage sexy is the torque. That big ONE just gulps in air and tosses out power at silly low rpm. Stall to balls.. she likes it. Its a low rpm bike... not some Ninja waiting for 10,000 rpm before launch. Idle at 1200, let her drop to 200 and watch as the power comes on back to 2000 if I am feeling luggy or 3000 if i want to hurt some cagers feelings as I fly by. You will be lugging at 40 MPH in 5th and will actually stall out at 35 if you even think about tweaking the throttle. So yeah 50 - 60 in 5th is butter.

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #8 - 12/25/13 at 07:57:13

never rode the rebel, but I did ride a Virago 250 while taking the MSF course.... All I know is that the savage feels like twice the bike as far as power and comfort are concerned..... my only complaint I have is the fact that my savage is only a 4 speed, which is great but a 5th gear is better on the highway, but overall a very nice bike to move up to.... she cruises very nicely at 70mph but sounds like its running at redline, but really its not.... thumpers are called thumpers for that reason.... very smooth as far as vibes are concerned. Wink

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 03/19/14 at 01:03:35

80 we are both on the Rebel forum
I'll back what the others have said here, the S40 vibates, as does the Rebel, but it's a lower amplitude, more relaxed vibration, and the power? no comparison
We both know the Rebel will hit 80 mph.....on a flat stretch...with no headwind
the S40 at 80 is still pulling hard
size / weight wise they're very similar, the S40 having more leg room and a bit higher seat height
so it's like having a rebel with a MUCH bigger motor

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #10 - 03/19/14 at 04:29:19

I moved up from a GZ250 and because the savage(s40) is so lightweight the transition is easy..
The s40 DOES vibrate more but look at the reciprocating mass  Grin
The vibrations are lower frequency though, which is less annoying, and 70 is a walk in the park

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:31:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vibration of s40 -vs-Rebel 250

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.