Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
more probs (Read 114 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
more probs
12/20/13 at 16:23:42

Hey again everyone, got new ( 2nd hand ) igniter on bike, it is now sparking,I also put a raptor petcock on, took it for a ride yesterday after about 6 or so miles the engine died as if I ran out of gas - I pushed it for about 20 yards and thought I'll try it again - started up like nothing had happened, took it for a longer ride today to me mates house same thing after a fair distance 12 or so miles it cut out again waited for a few minutes tried again ,started up then it kept cutting out every 250 yards wait for a few minutes and it would start up again sometimes it would go for several hundred yards and cut out, sometimes a couple of miles - baffled it is that I am, can anyone help,thanks in advance

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: more probs
Reply #1 - 12/20/13 at 17:16:47

Have you got the kickstand, and clutch cut-outs bypassed?...
If not... do it... at least 'tiil you find the problem...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 12/20/13 at 18:14:48

Be sure you blocked off the vacuum hose port on the right side of the carb.  If you have spark and it is still acting like it is starving for gas it sounds like a stuck float inside the carb maybe?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 12/21/13 at 01:22:41

The kickstand cutoff does sound like a really feasible problem, it might be shorting out, check it for loose or just bypass it. Also check the plug set under your tank for looseness.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #4 - 12/21/13 at 02:11:37

The sidestand switch has been removed and the clutch cut out as well ,I will check spark plug etc but it does feel like a fuel problem

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 12/21/13 at 07:34:37

If that's the case, I would start chasing down your ground wire and see if it is broken loose or just plain partially broken.
There is a wire bundle near the belt drive that sometimes gets loose and rubs the belt and wires get cut.
I have also heard the motor ground connection breaks at the connector.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/21/13 at 09:27:31

If you're thinking fuel... the 3 things that usually cause intermittent flow problems are...
Air leak...
Float or needle/seat problem...
Sticky slide...
... maybe dirt in tank or pet...

Hmmm?... that was 4 things... Undecided...

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #7 - 12/21/13 at 12:14:28

Just found a wire from the horn was blowin in the wind - dont laugh ( I know little or less about electrickery ) but could that have caused a problem ,shorting or whatever?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 12/21/13 at 13:37:35

Any wire flapping in the breeze is a potential problem. Look at it this way, you just eliminated another possibility.  I'm still banking on a carburator issue personally.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 12/21/13 at 14:49:14

It is sounding more like a stuck float needle... I went back and reread for the third time...  I would think since the flow does not now have a vacuum to suck it into the carb that gravity it doing its job but however at a slower pace on the fuel flow filling the bowl.
Guess I should let the guru's do the thinkin'... if I ain't helpin' let me know.

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #10 - 12/21/13 at 15:14:04

old-rider believe me any advice is gratefully received, it always helps having a different perspective and gives me ideas I haven't thought of so keep it coming all advice is appreciated. After all you're using your time to answer and try to help someone you dont know and will probably never meet, so thanks everyone  Wink
p.s. rode it today for about 7or so miles no problem but I wont be counting me chickens yet, someone I was speaking to said it might be cause of the change of petcock but no-one on the forum seems to have had a problem with changing over, so if it happens again I'll change it back because its not too much hassle and if it continues then its going to be a carb cleaning session ,then electrics check ( Bah humbug ) I hate electrics  Smiley

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 12/21/13 at 15:19:11

One more thing... if you have an inline fuel filter make sure it's new. It'll let enough fuel through to fill the float when it's sitting but won't keep up with the usage when you're riding.

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #12 - 12/21/13 at 15:32:13

I did have an in-line filter S-P but as the bike was behaving so badly yesterday I sat down by the side of the road and with me trusty multi-tool removed it and it still kept cutting out, there is now a straight connection from petrol tap to carb, I also removed the drain bolt from the bottom of the carb and the petrol didn't seem polluted ( water or whatever ) and there was a good healthy flow from it. We will get there in the end  Grin

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 12/21/13 at 15:40:50

You're doing all the right thing!  Process of elimination. It sure sounds like you're emptying the float bowl and it is refilling while you're sitting, or there is an electronic piece that is heating up and failing. Anyone had that piece under the seat fail like that?  It looks like the same part that used to go out on my Plymouth Roadrunner back in the 70's. I'd get intermittent dying and starting issues. I had to replace it about every 2-3 years it seemed.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 12/21/13 at 16:06:05

old_rider wrote on 12/21/13 at 14:49:14:
I would think since the flow does not now have a vacuum to suck it into the carb that gravity it doing its job but however at a slower pace on the fuel flow filling the bowl.
Guess I should let the guru's do the thinkin'... if I ain't helpin' let me know.

One point... just FYI...  The vacuum doesn't suck the fuel into the bowl... it only opens a valve to allow gravity feed...
So, there is no less fuel with a Raptor, or other gravity feed pet...

It could still be low flow though... if there is some restriction from blockage or sediment in the tank...
Wink...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:18:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › more probs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.