Send Topic Print
Clutch won't work! (Read 103 times)
nightman
YaBB Newbies

Wahoo! He He

Fredericton New Brunswick
Clutch won't work!
12/19/13 at 06:37:15

My 2005 sat for a couple of months this summer, when I tried to ride it, the clutch was still engaged, even tho there was the usual tension on the clutch lever. Do you think something has let go in there? Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Clutch won't work!
Reply #1 - 12/19/13 at 07:17:57

As long as the spring pressure and lever feel has not changed and the cable is not broken....you probably don't have anything wrong.  Clutches often become "stuck" after sitting for an extended period of time.  My trials bike would get stuck after sitting over night.

Start the bike up and get it warm in neutral, then shut the bike off and put it in gear with the motor turned off.  Pull in the clutch lever,put the bike in first gear, and rock the bike back and forth and see if the clutch lets to after rocking it a few times.

On my trials bike I would warm up the bike, push off with my foot and click the bike into first gear, then ride off with the clutch pulled in and blip the throttle a few times....and about the third blip the clutch would release.....try this only if you feel you are a competent enough rider to operate a bike without a clutch.....don't do it in a confined space. I had a big hay field to run around in.....and first gear was really slow on that bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/19/13 at 09:09:21

May also be weather related...  Cold really stiffens up oil...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
nightman
YaBB Newbies

Wahoo! He He

Reply #3 - 12/19/13 at 11:19:16

Thanks guys I'll give it a try. The time was around end of summer, on a nice warm day...I'll an above freezing day to give it a try. Cables are good, tension is fine..only has about 3600 miles on it. Merry Christmas and thanks again  Smiley

IP Logged
nightman
YaBB Newbies

Wahoo! He He

Reply #4 - 02/07/14 at 17:01:15

You were right on. When we had our January thaw, I started it up, and after 10 or so jerks, it let free! Thanks my friend!

Dave wrote on 12/19/13 at 07:17:57:
As long as the spring pressure and lever feel has not changed and the cable is not broken....you probably don't have anything wrong.  Clutches often become "stuck" after sitting for an extended period of time.  My trials bike would get stuck after sitting over night.

Start the bike up and get it warm in neutral, then shut the bike off and put it in gear with the motor turned off.  Pull in the clutch lever,put the bike in first gear, and rock the bike back and forth and see if the clutch lets to after rocking it a few times.

On my trials bike I would warm up the bike, push off with my foot and click the bike into first gear, then ride off with the clutch pulled in and blip the throttle a few times....and about the third blip the clutch would release.....try this only if you feel you are a competent enough rider to operate a bike without a clutch.....don't do it in a confined space. I had a big hay field to run around in.....and first gear was really slow on that bike.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #5 - 02/08/14 at 14:44:00

I love happy endings! Grin

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:24:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch won't work!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.