Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
goings on (Read 138 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
goings on
12/18/13 at 16:11:24

Wow... Haven't logged in for some time....yall r makin very cool stuff....awsome builds.
I figured i'd chime in, share whats been thumpin down my neck of the woods.

Now, im sure some of u may b thinkin "wow whatta sh*t muffler!", and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you, but the real issue here that my bike is possessed and im starting to feel pretty good about it. This is the third & final time that Mary Jane....thats her name btw.....has shat out her muffler guts. U can get an idea from the pic the many many different ways ive tried "fixing" the situation and under any other circumstance any one of them would have worked.....but she don't like it like that. Mary Jane likes her straight pipe, and i have wised up and stop fighting her...and now all is right with the world. I'm going deaf in one ear but she actually runs better that way...also loud pipes save lives.

2013-12-05_12-15-15_452.jpg

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Re: goings on
Reply #1 - 12/18/13 at 16:27:28

In the same day as the muffler, some of the workers at the shop that I'm contracted with now and then, don't like me and they drilled a screw into my rear tire and let the air out the front, down to 17psi. Eyes r searching thru security tapes as I write.

So it's as cold as it can be on the 60 freeway late at night on my way home...and im limpin her and wouldn't you know it but my throttle sleeve snaps. That's actually the third time that's happened.
See, the thing is my handle bars are 1in dia....custom. I can't find a throttle sleeve that will work. There are plenty of throttle sleeves with a1 inch inside diameter but it's the little cam part of it and the way the whole assembly locks over it. I have no idea where the owners before me found this throttle sleeve but its a duel push/pull type deal... obviously I only use one. Anyway I've been gluein it back together lastly with 2 part epoxy. its been working pretty good but if anybody's gotta idea on where to find a replacement please let me know.

2013-12-05_12-17-01_273.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #2 - 12/18/13 at 16:41:04

Now.... Possessed mechanical bike stuff is one thing.... Processed Electrical is another. Versy was kind enough to come out to my pad and trade me a regulator for some artwork. Now, ever since that swap the bikes been acting completely different, electrically speaking of course.
Like.... Can anyone tell me why when I rev my engine the stator puts out 100 milliamps or whatever but when we measure the battery the voltage actually drops when I raise the RPM....?!?!
Another very noticeable characteristic that changed is the insufficient return to idle after a decent stretch of engine slowing the bike down. Often times it dies and I'll have to pop the clutch and hit the starter at the same time to get it to light back up whilst on the freeway or any other completely inconvenient time.
  So big bumpers let me have it... what do you thinks going on?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/18/13 at 16:58:09

Our bars are 1" stock... so finding a new throttle shouldn't be a problem...

If your battery is fully charged,.. revving will show a reduction in output voltage...
This is the regulator doin' it's job... it doesn't want to overcharge a full battery...
As long as it's keeping the battery charged it's okay... it should stay above 12v though... if it's dropping to 10v or something, you need a stator...Wink...

Sorry 'bout all the bad luck...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #4 - 12/18/13 at 17:14:58

Really....1inch stock.... than why my electrical components won't bolt completely around the handlebars? When I go to bike shops and question about the throttle sleeve they bring up 7/8ths on their compugismo. Even turn the screen around showed me,, look..stock handlebars is supposed to be 7/8 ( even though 7/8 and 1inch r darn close).

Okay well I'd love for versy to chime in cause he was stumped too. Also this doesnt explain why my bike almost dies when I pull in the clutch after the engines slowing the bike down.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/18/13 at 17:29:42

Defiantly 1"...  Harley bars are on mine... direct swap...

The dieing on decel is probably related to jetting or idle speed... jetting will be iffy with a blown out muffler...
Try raising the idle speed a little bit...

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #6 - 12/18/13 at 18:46:19

Awesome! Okay now we're getting somewhere. Thank you Serowbot for giving me a new direction to go at this throttle sleeve issue.

The idle speed is up where it should be. What wud jettng hav 2do w/dying on decel? And why did the change occur when versy and i put this 87 brain in? I haven't messed with the jets in quite some time. Something is most definitely not adding up....................
    .....However I have been witnessing an interesting occurrence with the changing of how my motorcycle runs. When she shat the muffler out for the last time i did not notice any immediate difference in the performance of the bike nor her signature backfire characteristics. In fact the bike doesnt backfire on shutdown anymore..ever.
What I have noticed however is backfiring through the carb so bad the percussion rattles my sphincter..... it actually doesn't bother me that much it's just kind of a shocking thing to witness... like a cherry bomb going off a foot away from your nutties........ it existed before but not to this frequently or violently and the change came on slowly.....   why would the bike SLOWLY change?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/18/13 at 20:35:28

Serowbot wrote on 12/18/13 at 17:29:42:
Defiantly 1"...  Harley bars are on mine... direct swap...

The dieing on decel is probably related to jetting or idle speed... jetting will be iffy with a blown out muffler...
Try raising the idle speed a little bit...

+1
and real backfire?   Huh
when's the last time you adjusted the valves?

and I might have a spare throttle tube.

How's the artwork coming?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #8 - 12/18/13 at 20:51:24

Ya Dane and i r gonna adjust the valves soon as we get a good weekend.

+1? Whats that mean?
A real backfire? U mean when flames shoot out of it? I see flames out the drag pipe now and then but i can't say i've ever seen any out the carb. I have seen the flash...but not often.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 12/18/13 at 21:01:02

Boogieman wrote on 12/18/13 at 18:46:19:
.... it existed before but not to this frequently or violently and the change came on slowly.....   why would the bike SLOWLY change?

Just a guess, but... this muffler sounds very iffy... Perhaps it is "shating" it's innards incrementally... and each time it adjusts it's ... constitution,.. it affects it's backpressure?...
A swap to a decent Harley shorty take-off might make things more consistent...

It's hard to hit a moving target... Huh...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 12/18/13 at 21:02:34

what's this mean?
Boogieman wrote on 12/18/13 at 18:46:19:
What I have noticed however is backfiring through the carb so bad the percussion rattles my sphincter..... it actually doesn't bother me that much it's just kind of a shocking thing to witness... like a cherry bomb going off a foot away from your nutties.....

this is afterfire...
Quote:
I see flames out the drag pipe now and then

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 12/18/13 at 21:09:57

Common motorcycle lingo, refers to an "afterfire" as a "backfire"...
.. but, a real "backfire"... fires back into the carb.... it's a very nasty thing...
You seem to be having these... as well as "afterfires...
"Afterfires" are just pops out the exhaust...

Backfires... are burps...
Afterfires... are farts...
... basically... Huh...

We didn't invent the lingo... we just have to live with it... Undecided...

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #12 - 12/18/13 at 21:17:07

U bring up a very good point about the suttle changing in my bikes performance serowbot.
Oh so thats how the lingo goes, huh..ok cool. Yes backfiring carb no good.

Versy,, Basically I was just trying to explain what was happening in my own words. Its a loud, violent explosion. Mostly you just feel the percussion of it. Doesnt seem like a good thing. Next time I hop on my bike I'll have to try and mentally record happens.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #13 - 12/18/13 at 21:19:33

Oh versy.. I've been doing some contract work for a while but now I'm going back into my shop and finishing a bunch of art so at the moment I'm justa bout to dig right in.
And as always thanks for all your help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 12/18/13 at 22:06:02

Muffler Looks SHATTURD,,
Defiantly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:31:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › goings on

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.