Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shortening gear change lever (Read 127 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
shortening gear change lever
12/16/13 at 11:52:00

Hey again everyone, due to an accident my left ankle has very little upward motion, so to change up I use my whole leg from the hip ( if you get my meaning ) and I was just wondering if I shorten the shaft of the gear change would this change the amount of travel needed to change gear a fair bit or would the difference be not worth the trouble - I hope I've explained it properly,cheers

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: shortening gear change lever
Reply #1 - 12/16/13 at 12:18:05

Steddy58 wrote on 12/16/13 at 11:52:00:
Hey again everyone, due to an accident my left ankle has very little upward motion, so to change up I use my whole leg from the hip ( if you get my meaning ) and I was just wondering if I shorten the shaft of the gear change would this change the amount of travel needed to change gear a fair bit or would the difference be not worth the trouble - I hope I've explained it properly,cheers

I don't think you can alter the distance that the foot lever has to move to shift, but by turning the shift rod in or out - it works like a turnbuckle - you can move the end of the foot lever relative to the footpeg.You may be able to get it adjusted so that you don't have to lift your toe as far to shift. Depends on the size of your feet though. If you move it down too far you might not be able to get your toe under it.

I actually have a similar problem with my left ankle from a long ago back injury that damaged the nerve that controls lifting the front of that foot. I had to tinker a bit to get the lever adjusted so that I can upshift without moving my whole leg. It's set so that I have just enough room between the footpeg and the lever to get my toe in there. For anyone with feet bigger than mine - or really big boots - it's too low.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/16/13 at 12:52:58

You could change the ratio and make for less travel....at the expense of increasing the force needed.

To make the travel less - you either make the lever on the transmission shorter (not feasible), or make the lever on the shifter longer (possible).

It might also be possible for you to adapt a heel/toe type shifter where you never have to put your foot under the lever and lift up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/16/13 at 16:30:43

Id definitely look at modifying the shifter to a heel toe kinda deal,.
Id think it should be easy enough to leave the shifter on & add a pivoting arm that lays over the footpeg so you can drop a heel on it, lifting the toe end,
Of course, putting a  Gin YOu Wine heel toe shifer on may be less hassle..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 12/16/13 at 16:48:31

Hi Steddy,

If you're talking about taking the toe peg off of the shifter and moving it back (like toward the blue location), it will work to shorten the movement of the foot. It will require more force to move it and it will probably make it harder to find neutral as well.

Please forgive my horrible drawing skills.  I never claimed to be a draftsman.

shifter.jpg

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 12/16/13 at 23:37:14

There is an add-on that is called EZ shift I believe, or safety shift... I'll look around for it.
I clamps onto your foot lever and has another shift shaft on it..  you then can put your foot between the two shafts and lift up and down, rather than having to put your foot under, then over and back.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #6 - 12/17/13 at 04:00:29

Thanks everyone for suggestions and ideas, I will look into them and post the results when I've done it just in case it might be useful to someone else,cheers

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/17/13 at 16:46:20

After getting used to a heel shifter on my 950, I wanted one for my Savage too. I used part of another shifter welded to the original. Works great but I need to add a couple more inches to extend further toward the back of the floorboard.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #8 - 12/19/13 at 10:09:20

Think I'll try Stevehs idea first and if that doesn't help go to the heel/toe idea ,which I think will have to be modified ( If I buy a ready-made one )due to position of sidestand or  maybe manufacturing one meself like RidgeRunners idea,cheers all

IP Logged
busterboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, Ga.
Reply #9 - 12/19/13 at 10:24:02

Jockey Shift?

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #10 - 12/19/13 at 11:42:06

exactly what I have on my build!     I have the shift stick on the right,  a cross shaft behind the tank, and the foot brake is now on the LEFT (where they always were in the UK) , again, using a cross shaft.    It would be a good answer - or else that electric gadget  that uses a solenoid and works from buttons on the handlebars.    But they are a bit expensive.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 12/19/13 at 16:54:07

Ok, here is my take on an add a peg, that would help you:
get an "L" bracket, two screw clamps, and a foot peg that has a screw end with a nut.
Then put it together with enough room for your toe to go between the two pegs, so you just have to press down to downshift and lift your toe to upshift.

Or if you have a welder you could weld the "L" bracket to the shift lever to make it more solid you could drill a couple of holes thru the shift lever...whatever you want...
Thought I'd pass on this idea, hope it helps Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #12 - 12/19/13 at 18:26:48

Now that's pretty cool. I'm totally a McGyver guy. Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:30:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shortening gear change lever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.