Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new piston performance? (Read 137 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
new piston performance?
12/12/13 at 09:38:16

I know this has been discussed before but has anyone just replaced the stock piston with a wiseco hi compression one?
What was the performance gain like?
Is it really just as easy as removing the old one and dropping in the new one?
what would the cost be?
Any first hand experience would be welcome...
Thanks!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: new piston performance?
Reply #1 - 12/12/13 at 09:55:01

Pistons dont drop into the cylinder on a bike. The cylinder gets put down on the piston. Its way different than messin with a car. Rings., cylinder worked, IDK if youve got to bore it, or if its the same diameter, but youll at least need to get a cross hatch in it for the new rings,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/12/13 at 10:19:41

Just sent mine out to bore tech for the 95mm bore.
just 65$ to bore and hone.  added 100 for the carbide treatment...
Hi Comp piston w ring kit online less than 150$ delivered.

there are a few here that will 'do' this for your for 4 to 6 hundred dollars...
but dont be fooled, you will only get a 10.5 ratio if you go with the harder to find 97mm or greater piston.  with a 95 i calculated 9.75 or so.

the gains seen should be more from the ratio than the displacement, so its a real good question if a stock 94mm hi comp piston is available... i had a new engine that didnt at all need a new bore

the cross hatch will help wear in a new set of rings, if your engine was new link mine, it may even still have some hatch left...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/12/13 at 10:27:15

The smallest is 95mm so you have to at least bore the cylinder out 1mm to use it.
I was already getting the max outta the stock piston/carb with upgraded exhaust/filter, so the increase didn't awe me.  Not nearly as much as a performance carb will do with the stock piston.  Do both at your own risk   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/12/13 at 10:33:19

Wiseco officially makes this piston kit for the far more popular DR650, which has a stock bore of 95mm.  Therefore nothing in the stock LS650 size of 94mm is available.

If you wanna go Wiseco....you gotta bore it!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/12/13 at 13:26:59

verslagen1 wrote on 12/12/13 at 10:27:15:
 Do both at your own risk

Whats the risk?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/12/13 at 13:40:51

axa wrote on 12/12/13 at 13:26:59:
verslagen1 wrote on 12/12/13 at 10:27:15:
 Do both at your own risk

Whats the risk?

arms tearing off.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 12/12/13 at 14:51:03

Thanks all...
I guess I was thinking the stock piston was a 95...
Probably gonna pass...

My bike is great as it is but I noticed I'll probably have to do the head plug since I seem to have some weeping around the exhaust header.

I was thinking that if there was a domed stock size piston I could just pull the jug and slap a new piston in to bump up the compression (not that it doesn't have enough torque as it is...lol) but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Thanks for the input

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/12/13 at 20:54:13

If ya wanna feel it pull better, lighten it up, get the exhaust flowing, let it breathe easy & tune it. When the day comes that its time for a cam chain, put a cam in it, Or do it when ya do the plug.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 12/12/13 at 21:10:59

Good plan, JOG...
This bike ain't ever gonna' be a rocket...
If you want a rocket,.. just buy one... (they are out there, just as cheap as Savages)...
...but,... if yer' Savage needs a bit of work,.. why not make it work optimally?...

....(most rocket riders, can't really use the HP their bikes make)... if you can really use all of the Savage power,.. you're a pretty good rider...
... and you'll keep up... anywhere but flat, straight highway)...
... likely,.. more than keep up... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 12/12/13 at 21:25:07

Serowbot, Yep, I just changed the air filter, jetted the carb, put on a Raptor petcock and it made a difference, but it's not a Ninja.  I agree, if you want a crotch rocket, go buy one. Thumpers thump. Grow where you're planted.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 12/12/13 at 21:31:49

S-P wrote on 12/12/13 at 21:25:07:
Grow where you're planted.  Roll Eyes

I like that...
.. in fact,... I'm gonna' steal it... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/12/13 at 22:04:03

I gave some thought to an SV650 V-Twin or EX500 parallel twin swap into the Savage I'm currently restoring for my brother in-law. I still haven't taken the idea off the table but the initial build will be using the stock single. If I were building it for me and me alone I'd go with the V-Twin but for a new rider(he has never owned a bike) I think the big single is enough power and will be more forgiving to small mistakes than a higher output mill. A Sportster 1200 motor would probably work well. Lots of torque, low revs, belt drive and rock reliable.

I know that the Savage isn't built for power and if I wanted it then I'd be better off buying one of the previously mentioned bikes. The reason behind me buying the Savage is because I only gave 240 bucks for it. I can do a motor swap and still come out way cheaper than buying something else.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/12/13 at 23:31:10

The Savage is fast enough to get a guy in over his head. It has less than ideal handling, which, for me, is a safety feature. I can Test myself thru a sweeper on it & the handling will tell me when Im going as fast as I can go w/o crashing. If I had a crotch rocket that handled like a scalpel, Id get into corners going way too fast. I MIGHT not crash due to losing control, but Im not smart enough to have fun at lower, survivable speeds IF the equipment will operate at higher speeds. One of these, well tuned & on good rubber will put pegs down in corners I can make w/o screeching tires in the car at a bit over 30 MPH. Theres a nice one not far from home, I guess its not exactly a corner, but its a bit tight to call it a sweeper. Its a fine challenge. POwer & near racetrack handling/geometry covers up the sins of picking bad lines. The Savage exposes them, & I like that.,

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 12/13/13 at 08:03:30

thanks...
I think I've gotten about as far as I can with the stock setup...

If ya read my sig line it's got all the normal mod stuff done and I just recently added taller Progressives to rear (that helped the handling more than I had expected).

About the only thing left is to go beyond stock stuff or go the bobber route to lighten it up (but my wife still occassionally likes to go on a ride)
...really I'm very happy with what I have...just like to tinker...

I've been spending a lot of time on a couple old mopeds and they are so easy to tear down and modify and there are so many after market performance parts available for them...lots of fun!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:34:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new piston performance?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.