The HAM RADIO THREAD (Read 458 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The HAM RADIO THREAD
Reply #75 - 02/22/14 at 08:57:39

Dane Allen wrote on 01/17/14 at 17:01:10:
Very nice, Walter! My ultimate goal is to have a solar rechargeable brief case radio that transmits in the HF range. Di-pole antenna can be unrolled and strung between two trees. With antenna, batteries, solar panels and radio parts I hope to have everything fit into two brief cases and be able to transmit around the globe from any location.

You some kinda SPY,, Boooy?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #76 - 02/22/14 at 12:46:39

Over the past 40 years or so I've had fleeting thoughts about getting into ham radio, but two things always stopped me:  Code and real knowledge of electronics.
So, OK, code is gone now from the test.  But what level of electronics knowledge do you need to have now to pass the first test, and then the second one to get more powerful equipment?
That band that is 148 MHz is just right above what I'm used to - the aircraft communications frequencies which top out at 135.95.  These are all "line of sight", so unless you've got an antenna really high, you aren't going very far with your signal.
To get into HF, can an ignoramus like me, who knows nothing about electronics, get the required license?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
Reply #77 - 02/22/14 at 15:03:24

[quote author=535C505A515C575B5C4B5E5C4B390 link=1386732315/75#76 date=1393101999.  These are all "line of sight", so unless you've got an antenna really high, you aren't going very far with your signal.
To get into HF, can an ignoramus like me, who knows nothing about electronics, get the required license? [/quote]

Jerry most of the line of sight work is done thru repeaters on mountain tops that provide wide coverage. You will need to learn something about electronics to get any of the licences but the questions are all published in advance so its not too hard really.

George AA1PD

'06, TKAT fork brace, 1/3 spacer,155 main/55 pilot, K@N filter, Jardine, NGK irridium plug, Phillips MotoVision +40 orange hue bulb, windscreen, Hagon Shocks
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #78 - 02/23/14 at 21:02:29

ZAR wrote on 02/21/14 at 17:16:23:
Dane around here the popular methods of getting an antenna up in the field are potato guns and "wrist rocket" slingshots. With either of these and some strong nylon cord or heavy fishing line you can get a dipole or wire antenna strung between two trees up close to 50' high.

opps! Just thought about where you are. Is it likely you'll be in an area where there are no tall trees,only scrub-brush? In that case check with a local college science dept. for a couple of weather balloons. Of course then you have to worry about people taking potshots at the balloon!

I saw pictures of trees...in a book...once... Grin

Yeah, I would be lucky to find two cactus close enough to each other yet I expect they would just topple over under tension. I'm thinking box canyons and flat scrub land. But if I ever do get near to two trees that are close enough then I am sure gonna use that sligshot idea.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #79 - 02/23/14 at 21:04:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/22/14 at 08:57:39:
Dane Allen wrote on 01/17/14 at 17:01:10:
Very nice, Walter! My ultimate goal is to have a solar rechargeable brief case radio that transmits in the HF range. Di-pole antenna can be unrolled and strung between two trees. With antenna, batteries, solar panels and radio parts I hope to have everything fit into two brief cases and be able to transmit around the globe from any location.

You some kinda SPY,, Boooy?

When our new President-for-Life is appointed I would like to get a heads up and let some others know that "camp season" is about to start. I've had enough education, don't need to do it all over again  Wink

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #80 - 02/23/14 at 21:10:23

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 02/22/14 at 12:46:39:
Over the past 40 years or so I've had fleeting thoughts about getting into ham radio, but two things always stopped me:  Code and real knowledge of electronics.
So, OK, code is gone now from the test.  But what level of electronics knowledge do you need to have now to pass the first test, and then the second one to get more powerful equipment?
That band that is 148 MHz is just right above what I'm used to - the aircraft communications frequencies which top out at 135.95.  These are all "line of sight", so unless you've got an antenna really high, you aren't going very far with your signal.
To get into HF, can an ignoramus like me, who knows nothing about electronics, get the required license?

That is what I thought too. There is more electricity theory and such in the Technician class. A lot about how not to electrcute yourself, which I found very valuable. Another part that is stressed is to not get on the air and act like a jackass. It definitely is not the "10-4 good buddy" of yesteryear and you will learn some very basic knowledge about what a capacitor and resistor does. The most interesting part I found was how radio waves get around and why some frequencies work better that others under various conditions.

Also, I am not sure it is accurate that you get more powerful equipment with higher licenses, rather, you get access to more frequency ranges and the radios associated with those ranges.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #81 - 02/24/14 at 13:19:43

Dane Allen -

For HF I can recommend the Elecraft K1 kit. Equipped with internal ATU option board and boards for 40,20 and/or 30 and 15M.....you will be a very happy QRP camper. You need a glass fibre fishing rod of  some 5-6m length, a roll of household electrical multistranded isolated wire to make some simple wire verticals + radials, and the K1. And...the CW keyer.  The K1 can do CW only. It will run from a battery powered by solar panels, or from solar panels directly.

I have run this setup for a year or two from my balcony and my VW camper and scored about 120 countries on 15m, best DX being  12000 km away. With 5 watts.  Cool

Now...if CW isnīt in your plan...you will need a different approach.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #82 - 02/24/14 at 14:24:23

Bluesman wrote on 02/24/14 at 13:19:43:
Dane Allen -

For HF I can recommend the Elecraft K1 kit. Equipped with internal ATU option board and boards for 40,20 and/or 30 and 15M.....you will be a very happy QRP camper. You need a glass fibre fishing rod of  some 5-6m length, a roll of household electrical multistranded isolated wire to make some simple wire verticals + radials, and the K1. And...the CW keyer.  The K1 can do CW only. It will run from a battery powered by solar panels, or from solar panels directly.

I have run this setup for a year or two from my balcony and my VW camper and scored about 120 countries on 15m, best DX being  12000 km away. With 5 watts.  Cool

Now...if CW isnīt in your plan...you will need a different approach.

I want to do CW and I have a Koch trainer all set up, just need to make the time. CW is definitely on my to do soon list.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #83 - 02/24/14 at 14:27:45

Not on my list.  I went thru flight school when you still had to know enough code to listen to a navigational beacon and identify the station by its 3 letter code identifier.  Since the identifier was continuously broadcast, you could listen over and over again.  It took me forever to get it.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:25:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › The HAM RADIO THREAD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.