it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: The HAM RADIO THREAD
Reply #60 - 12/28/13 at 07:25:28

old_rider wrote on 12/28/13 at 00:02:21:
Um... local craigslist add...

a good start??

http://panamacity.craigslist.org/ele/4198079829.html

Like JOG says, Drake never built a crummy radio. There are a couple of "buts" though. The TR-3 was made back in 1961 so it's got a lot of age on it. It is a tube radio instead of solid state so it requires a warm-up period(normally 30 minutes) before everything stabilizes and it's ready to transmit. Also tubes weaken and burn out with time and the 12JB6 final drive tubes are getting hard to find and very expensive to replace. On the other hand, if you're looking for a WTSHTF radio,this one is a good one to have  as the old school technology will not be affected as much by EMF and is solid as a rock.

The price is a bit high for my area but who knows.... everything is going up. I would suggest picking it up in person and making the seller demonstrate it!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #61 - 12/30/13 at 16:31:56

ZAR wrote on 12/23/13 at 18:52:44:
Dane I will caution that 6 and 10 meters can be fickle mistresses. Like I said before, I've talked almost 2500 miles on 10 watts on 6,and other times.... there's nothing at all unless you have some local stations on SSB or FM repeaters.  With the cost of 6 meter dedicated radios you can almost buy a all-mode all band rig like the yaesu FT847 or Icom 706 and have more used HF bands when 6 and 10 are dead.

I was looking around at 6 and 10 meter propagation and there are internet tools that seem to indicate when the sporadic-E is good. Here is one site - http://www.dxmaps.com/six.html - and I am sure you are all familiar with this and other sites. What amazed me, though, was the heavy traffic at 40 meters to Europe and the traffic to Japan on 60 meters.

An HF rig will cover 160 meters through 10 meters and those are the bands that seem consistently "open". That might be the way to go, I am wanting to make a portable setup that the instructor my my class built. Radio, fans, speakers and such were in one brief case and the solar recharged LIon batteries and regulator were in a second case. Could talk for days out in the wild between recharges.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #62 - 12/30/13 at 20:28:29

Dane Allen wrote on 12/30/13 at 16:31:56:
ZAR wrote on 12/23/13 at 18:52:44:
Dane I will caution that 6 and 10 meters can be fickle mistresses. Like I said before, I've talked almost 2500 miles on 10 watts on 6,and other times.... there's nothing at all unless you have some local stations on SSB or FM repeaters.  With the cost of 6 meter dedicated radios you can almost buy a all-mode all band rig like the yaesu FT847 or Icom 706 and have more used HF bands when 6 and 10 are dead.

I was looking around at 6 and 10 meter propagation and there are internet tools that seem to indicate when the sporadic-E is good. Here is one site - http://www.dxmaps.com/six.html - and I am sure you are all familiar with this and other sites. What amazed me, though, was the heavy traffic at 40 meters to Europe and the traffic to Japan on 60 meters.

An HF rig will cover 160 meters through 10 meters and those are the bands that seem consistently "open". That might be the way to go, I am wanting to make a portable setup that the instructor my my class built. Radio, fans, speakers and such were in one brief case and the solar recharged LIon batteries and regulator were in a second case. Could talk for days out in the wild between recharges.

Dane for pure DX contacts 10-80 meters is no question the way to go,with 20 and 40 meters being the two best bands. Then again,17 meters is great for US contacts and sometimes DX according to a friend of mine.

Back to the propagation maps.....DX Sherlock is the one I've found best for me. Most all the 6 meter guys use it,as well as many HF operators.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #63 - 01/15/14 at 12:51:21

Reply #45 - 12/20/13 at 14:11:21 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote  ZAR wrote on 12/19/13 at 19:44:42:
walterpump wrote on 12/19/13 at 16:08:24:
Dane Allen wrote on 12/19/13 at 15:46:18:
ZAR wrote on 12/19/13 at 07:49:28:
Six meters is open in the USA!

Monitoring 50.135mhz and 50.125mhz   KG4ZAR EM78

How far can you get on 6 meters with, say, 50 watts?

Anyone on 10 meters? I know it's best during daytime but just checking.

EM78 - near Cincinnati, if I'm not mistaken.
I am in southern Ontario Canada, I think near FN04 but not sure.
73's

Dane my best 6 meter contact was with 9Y4D in Trinidad/Tobago. That was 2453 miles on 100 watts. Two days later I worked him again on 10 watts.

SO if the band is wide open 10 watts will take you a long way. If it's not....50 watts will get you 25-35 miles.

And walterpump..... I live about 1/2 way between Louisville Kentucky and Cinncinatti Ohio.

Hey all you HAMS.  Bought an Azden PCS-7500H, 50watts FM on 6.  Used, and not in my possession yet but I am ready for it with antenna up and power supply waiting.  So will be trying to make a few QSO's with it.  Keeping my eye open for an MFJ-9406X, 10watt SSB & CW rig then I will have Six covered.
Working on my OHR 30M trcxv build.  All components on circuit board and next will be all the wire interconnections.
I am in Southern Ontario also, in Grid FN14fh.
73's all

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #64 - 01/17/14 at 17:01:10

Very nice, Walter! My ultimate goal is to have a solar rechargeable brief case radio that transmits in the HF range. Di-pole antenna can be unrolled and strung between two trees. With antenna, batteries, solar panels and radio parts I hope to have everything fit into two brief cases and be able to transmit around the globe from any location.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #65 - 01/18/14 at 08:01:58

My dad was a RO. He had his ham and side bands. I helped him erect a tower on top of out tract house, neighbors hated it, years before all the CC's and other laws telling a person their home was not really theirs do do as they wanted  Grin
I would listen to him talk to others from many destinations, and of course watch him on his speed key. He built many of his own radios....some of those tubes were a work of art!

His call was W6ELE.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #66 - 01/18/14 at 13:29:59

Ham radio?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #67 - 01/19/14 at 09:54:44

7351 from IK0MIL.

I wasn't the licensee, IK0MIL being the handle of the military radio at the Army School of Signals where I was posted as Courses Officer.

I had two colleagues who were the licensees (one was I0IOJ, currently I2IOJ, I forget the other)  but the three of us would stay up nights all the way to dawn (and in the summer, that can be a very pleasant time!)

We had a whole wall plastered with QSL cards !

IK0MIL's current operator is I0XNH

Aaaaahh... the good old days (when I was young... the Logical Song))

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #68 - 01/19/14 at 16:16:40

Sounds like good plan Dane Allen.
Very cool stories raydawg and mpescatori

On a Suzuki Savage note I have a DynaGlide muffler to install on my bike as soon as we get a break in the weather; and a digital dash.  Might be getting Sporster rear shocks and drag bars also.  Love modding bikesSmiley

Weather is snowy, blowy and 25F or lower.

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #69 - 01/22/14 at 09:52:30

Still looking around in the area, for a starter... hows this ?

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/eld/4276752840.html

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #70 - 01/22/14 at 11:27:50

Reply #69 - Today at 09:52:30 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote  Still looking around in the area, for a starter... hows this ?

Looks pretty old to me old rider.  Big and heavy and tough to get parts if required.  Lots of newer receivers here http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable.html; like http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/4033.html in a portable unit for around $100.

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #71 - 01/25/14 at 14:52:33

mpescatori wrote on 01/19/14 at 09:54:44:
7351 from IK0MIL.

I wasn't the licensee, IK0MIL being the handle of the military radio at the Army School of Signals where I was posted as Courses Officer.

I had two colleagues who were the licensees (one was I0IOJ, currently I2IOJ, I forget the other)  but the three of us would stay up nights all the way to dawn (and in the summer, that can be a very pleasant time!)

http://files.qrz.com/j/i2ioj/Ten_Iori.jpg

We had a whole wall plastered with QSL cards !

IK0MIL's current operator is I0XNH

Aaaaahh... the good old days (when I was young... the Logical Song))

Now that's what a ham shack should look like! Grin

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #72 - 01/25/14 at 14:54:59

old_rider wrote on 01/22/14 at 09:52:30:
Still looking around in the area, for a starter... hows this ?

OR that is a classic reciever. Very collectable. If the unit powers up and recieves properly it's a good price but check out the availability of tubes. Replacements may be very pricey and hard to find. Overall,it would be a decent recieve only starter.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #73 - 02/21/14 at 15:08:02

Just got my Kenwood TM-281A 2 meter mobile that will be the prototype basis for my HF self-contained, solar-rechargeable backpack radio platform. Will do a 2 meter dipole antenna to simulate the 40 meter dipole which I will need to figure out how to string up in the wild. I figure once I figure out the nuances of a 2 meter dipole I can then scale up. Kite and balloon are a couple of possibilities.

It would be nice to have a helium tank and a pump with which I can retrieve the helium from the balloon and return to the tank, all on the same battery pack that recharges in the sun. At this point, just trying to get the prototype up and running.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #74 - 02/21/14 at 17:16:23

Dane around here the popular methods of getting an antenna up in the field are potato guns and "wrist rocket" slingshots. With either of these and some strong nylon cord or heavy fishing line you can get a dipole or wire antenna strung between two trees up close to 50' high.

opps! Just thought about where you are. Is it likely you'll be in an area where there are no tall trees,only scrub-brush? In that case check with a local college science dept. for a couple of weather balloons. Of course then you have to worry about people taking potshots at the balloon!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:40:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › The HAM RADIO THREAD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.