Send Topic Print
The HAM RADIO THREAD (Read 458 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The HAM RADIO THREAD
Reply #15 - 12/14/13 at 17:07:32

How hard is ( & how expensive) building an antenna? I have tubing to go as tall as I need..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #16 - 12/14/13 at 17:21:37

Hello Jim. Good to see you here! For 10 years I've been saying I'm going to get my general ticket but with all the fun I've had on 2 meter SSB and 6 meters I've just not got around to it Shocked .

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #17 - 12/14/13 at 17:27:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/14/13 at 17:07:32:
How hard is ( & how expensive) building an antenna? I have tubing to go as tall as I need..

JOG antennas can be as cheap and easy or as expensive and complicated as you want to build.

My 6 meter antenna took all of 1/2 hour,2 aluminum shafts from a weed-eaters and maybe $3 of pvc pipe fittings. You can work around the world on 102' of wire strung between a couple of trees or build a 43' tall verticle of aluminum tubing.

That's the beauty of ham radio antennas....there's lots of experimentation room!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 12/14/13 at 19:19:22

What make radio would you stay away from? Whats a good entry level radio? I can build an antenna, Im pretty sure. I have all kindsa 16 gauge wire on a reel.,hundreds of feet..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #19 - 12/14/13 at 20:05:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/14/13 at 19:19:22:
What make radio would you stay away from? Whats a good entry level radio? I can build an antenna, Im pretty sure. I have all kindsa 16 gauge wire on a reel.,hundreds of feet..

As long as you stay with the major brands ....Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom you'll be ok. That's talking about new or at least more modern radios, wether VHF/UHF or the HF bands. If you're interested in older tube type equipment,what us hams call "boat anchors" due to their size and weight, Drake(very collectible and expensive!) Heatkit(also very collectible)and a couple of other brands do  perform well also if properly tuned and aligned.

When getting started you take a test and get licensed as a "Technician" class operator. That gives you operating priveldges from 6 meters(50 megahertz) to well into the microwave frequencies,as well as voice on the 10 meter band between 28.300 and 28.500 megahertz.

The antennas for these bands are fairly small and easy to build from proven designs.

The next step up is the General class license. This gives you operating privledges on all of the radio spectrum available to hams with some limitations. The antennas for these frequencies can range well up into hundreds of feet but there are many designs that are much more compact. Some HF mobile antennas are no larger than the old familiar 102" CB whip antenna. Many HF antennas will cover a wide range of frequencies across the bands by using an antenna tuner.

TO get a feel for equipment prices and types you can go to websites of ham radio shops like www.aes.com and www.randl.com. Rand L is about an hour and a half drive from me. I've dona a fair amount of business with them and been well pleased.

You can also see used equipment for sale at www.swap.qth.com. Most of the sellers are hams and are pretty straight and honest, but like anything else on the net,you always check out the seller and take your chances.

I know this is a long post but maybe it helps answer some of your questions.

Larry

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #20 - 12/14/13 at 20:27:05

Just another thought JOG......as for a "started radio....most new hams start with 2 meters....that's 144.00 megahertz to 148 megahertz. That is mostly FM mode. You can talk simplex...direct communications between stations, or by using a repeater,which picks up your signal and retransmits(repeats) it back out for longer distance communications.

I've owned some of all the brands I mentioned above for 2 meter radios but I have a few favorites. In the house I use a Kenwood TR7950. It's a old(circa 1984) 2 meter base/mobile radio that is just about bulletproof. Trouble is you can buy a brand new 2 meter radio with more features for what the 7950 sells for today.

The other 2 meter radio I highly reccomend is one I just bought new a month ago,a Yeasu FT2900. The price was $189 but I also got a $40 rebate. The FT2900 is a basic radio but it has weather alert built in and has a very nice sized display that is easier for older eyes to see in the truck. It also has 75 watts of power that really reaches out there.

The third radio,and one that I wish I had back was a Kenwood TS711A. It also is a circa 1984 radio but is strictly a base unit. It is capable of not ony FM but also the SSB and CW modes. They are getting scarce and will bring $450 to $550. Like many older radios they may have some issues that need attention and some repair parts are hard to find.

Anyway,that's something for you to chew on a while Grin

Larry

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #21 - 12/14/13 at 21:47:25

Thanks Zar, that helped me a bit as well.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 12/14/13 at 22:44:06

Is it true morse code is no longer required for liscense?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #23 - 12/15/13 at 05:55:17

old_rider wrote on 12/14/13 at 22:44:06:
Is it true morse code is no longer required for liscense?

That is true OR. Code was dropped for all classes of license a few years back. Having said that,it is also true that there is more interest in code now than ever before, so while code is not required,it is far from dead!

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #24 - 12/15/13 at 06:52:33

QTH.com is a site I have both bought and sold on. Most hams are honest. I have never had a problem, but I'm sure it does happen.
2 meters is a good starting point. You will get to meet some of the people there as it is usually more local.

Big 10 meter contest this weekend. Worked Japan, Hawaii, Alaska, Germany, South America........on and on.
When I can't ride.......I ham it up!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 12/15/13 at 23:19:23

Lots to chew on, thanks

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #26 - 12/16/13 at 11:13:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/15/13 at 23:19:23:
Lots to chew on, thanks

My first radio (handheld): BaoFeng UV-5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-Way Radio (Black) 1 or 4 Watt selectable power for $36.

I got a spare battery for $10 and a computer connector cable for $10. About $60 total (have yet to use the spare battery, Grin )

So Cal has a sufficient repeater network, I would imagine Texas repeater networks blows anything we have right out of the water.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #27 - 12/16/13 at 12:35:17

Jim VE3NWN here:
The answers to most of the questions from the previous posters can be found at the best amateur radio website:
http://www.arrl.org/  American Radio Relay League.
Equipment can be obtained inexpensively and antennas can be built.  I run an Icom IC-735 HF rig that I bought for $150.  Along with my keyer, mike, antenna tuner, power supply, and 6 band vertical antenna, less than $500 buckaroos.  Of course I have lots of other goodies (its sort of like owning a motorbike) including 2 metre capability but I have been an AR operator since 1983.
One of these days I will get into 6 metre activity (50mHz).
CW, morse code can be a lot of fun and challenge but so is voice operation (phone operating).
73's to all (--...   ...--)
Jim
Oh, I forgot, I bought 2 HD dynaglide mufflers and clamps on the weekend ($50) and will be fitting one of the mufflers on my Savage along with rejetting the carb.  If finances permit I will be putting Progressive shocks on the bike, progressive springs in the front, a fork brace, new rubber (Pirelli Route 66's) and the Vapor Digital Dash I know I'm getting for Christmas  Cheesy
Oh, just got back from 1-1/2hrs snowshoeing up in the farm fields - life is so tough!!!

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 12/16/13 at 15:52:43

As a kid I just loved anything to do with radios.
Recently dug up this old relic I had since the late '60s.
Lost count of the number of hours I would lie asleep at night listening to it with a pair of the most uncomfortable 2000 ohm headphones. Huh

HK.jpg
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 12/16/13 at 15:54:12

I'm still looking for ways to 'lie asleep at night'.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:24:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › The HAM RADIO THREAD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.