Security for the S40 (Read 146 times)
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Security for the S40
12/09/13 at 03:46:35

Good Day All

I’ve been thinking about the best way to protect my bike when it’s left overnight in a vulnerable area (like hotel parking lots during long rides).  The only security I’ve got right now is the fork lock.  I understand that there are disk locks, cable locks, alarm systems, etc. but am curious what some of you have chosen to do.

I’ve heard that a favorite trick of bike thieves is to just lay the smaller bikes like ours down on a mattress and then slide the mattress and the bike into the back of a pickup the truck.  Am I worrying for nothing? Perhaps thieves just target the higher end bikes and leave our little S40’s alone  Smiley

Thanks

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Security for the S40
Reply #1 - 12/09/13 at 04:11:12

There is ALWAYS the risk of theft.  And the thief will always go after the easiest target that he wants.
So, make it  hard.  A hardened chain, through both wheels, and through the frame, and around something that isn't going to move.  And somewhere well lighted and with security cameras (if possible).
Make it hard, and make sure the thief knows it is going to be hard.

With all that said, the S40 is not a likely target for thieves.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 12/09/13 at 07:16:17

True... but if you are staying at a holiday inn or micro hotel of some sorts, most times they will let you park up near the front desk or under the overhang drive through.

The savage is not a "high profile" theft bike, but I put my disc lock on.  If they take it then, my insurance pays for a replacement. Just don't leave anything on it that you would not be able to replace.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 12/09/13 at 07:27:08

If they want it they are going to get it.  I take off anything readily accessible, park under the overhang at a hotel, and if possible chain it down.  $10 for 12 ft a plastic coated piece of steel probably 3/8 inch with loops on the end.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/09/13 at 07:29:50

I was bringing a nearly new Kawasaki 250 home once, and I had to stay at a hotel in a not very great area.  I just pushed the bike right into the room with me.....I placed an old blanket I had down on the carpet so the tires would not leave any marks.

Anything you do to slow the thieves down will help.  Chain it to a light pole, disc brake lock, handlebar locks.....park in an area that is very visible, or one that it would be hard to access if they were backing up a truck.  On "How Things are Made" I saw them building a disc brake lock with an alarm - that seemed like that would surely surprise the theives.

And yes, our bike is not very desirable for theives...at least ones that know anything about motorcycles.  Park next to a Harley or Ducati, and you are not going to get much attention.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 12/09/13 at 07:40:33

Yup they make the disc locks with screamers.... has a motion type switch in it, after you lock it, it sets the motion sensor. If the lock swings or sways it sets off the alarm.
Just remember to put it on after you have taken everything off the bike...also, you will probably set it off when you go to remove it (the cheaper ones). The higher priced ones have a "fob" so whenever you are near it is shut off, so you don't set It off when you take it on and off.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=brake+disc+alarm

I got a manual one from advanced auto  
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_motorcycle...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/09/13 at 08:13:24

If I was gonna try to keep the honest folks honest Id consider going to the local Overhead Door company & having a cable made up, using some of their Industrial Heavy Door cable. YOu could get a cable long enough to go thru wheels & frame & around a pole, with crimped on lugs. Bet that wouldnt cost a lot,,
A helmet lock that only grabs a strap isnt worth a lot, One of those Gun Locks with the rubber coated, flexible loop tops will clamp a full coverage to the bars.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/09/13 at 14:06:51

Dave,
Leave it up to you to always provide a common sense answer, "park it next to a Harley." Love it.

But when there is not a Harley in sight, I use one of these and an old industrial strength Master pad lock I have had for 25 years. It packs away in the saddle bag just fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ft-x-3-8-eighth-inch-braided-steel-security-c...

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #8 - 12/09/13 at 17:39:52

Am I the only one that just takes it in the room?

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/09/13 at 17:59:17

Fantastic feedback everyone.  Thanks very much!

You know, I never even thought of taking the bike into the room with me.  Why not?  It's certainly small enough  Smiley

All of the ideas you provided are great, and they'll be a great help once I'm back on the road come spring.

Cheers

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 12/09/13 at 23:55:17

Just make sure you get the first floor room (save the embarissment  of explainin' how the bike got in the room on the third floor, yes I used the elevator) and bring with you a piece of thick cardboard or at least double it, to keep oil off the carpet.

IP Logged
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - 12/10/13 at 04:27:28

I had a ratty GS 250 that I used to leave the keys in for over 2 years and it never got stolen.. It was a pile of junk though.. I woke one morning to find the the bike cover pinched but the bike still safe. I guess they thought a £10 cover was worth more than the bike..

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/10/13 at 09:11:03

Naah,, they were gonna steal the pair,, got the cover off & saw the bike & decided they had the better part of the heist already in the truck,, no reason to put it back,,

Saw a warning sign to thieves once

WARNING!
This property protected by Abject Poverty,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 12/11/13 at 01:38:21

If you own anything worth a dollar, someone will want to steal it. Our S40's are no exception.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:28:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Security for the S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.