Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
That plug covering the mixture screw...( on carb) (Read 222 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: That plug covering the mixture screw...( on ca
Reply #15 - 12/08/13 at 12:31:43

My thoughts are , why would they slot the plug??? it doesn't screw out, it has no threads.

If it were an OEM screw, it wouldn't even be seated in that position and would be leaking fuel from the threads.

Might be they could not find an OEM one at the time and to get buy used an off brand.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 12/08/13 at 14:10:19

I've seen small, screwdriver slotted, brass pipe plugs that look a lot the what's in your photo. Can you see any threads on the bit of plug that is sticking out ? The bore that the plug is pressed into is not threaded so if that's what it is I've got no idea why someone would put one in there.

If your bike runs ok right now think carefully about your next move. Replacement carbs are fairly expensive.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #17 - 12/11/13 at 03:33:11

So far, I decided to leave this one alone. I have noticed differences between US carbs and EU carbs in another aspect - the float bowl drain is different - so I keep thinking the EU Savages came here with maybe a fixed ratio thingy that was pressed/glued in place to satisfy EU regulations. Until I hear from someone with a EU bike who took the step and drilled it...I´m leaving it. The mixture looks reasonable anyway, judging by the plug color.

BTW...I have now seen TWO carbs, with the slot in the slotted "plug" in exactly the same position..

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 12/11/13 at 04:19:24

You might be onto something.  Maybe they did adjust the carbs and epoxy the screw in place?  It does look like maybe there is a little bit of grey goo around that screw.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #19 - 12/11/13 at 04:45:13

Yep, I´ll have a closer look at the second carb (a -97, and much cleaner) with a loupe/magnifying glass later today to check for glue traces.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 12/11/13 at 07:50:38

Bluesman wrote on 12/11/13 at 03:33:11:
I have noticed differences between US carbs and EU carbs in another aspect - the float bowl drain is different

I have 2 bikes, 1 has the drain the other doesn't.

WWW   IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #21 - 12/11/13 at 14:42:20

The ones I have seen (EU) have a downward 10mm hex bolt only. No sideways screw and separate drain outlet.   This makes me think Eu carbs are different. That makes me cautious about the US drillable plug vs possible EU fixed mixture glued plug issue.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #22 - 12/11/13 at 16:11:04

That would make sense if they didn't have to meet the California emissions standards. The carbs could be different.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 12/11/13 at 16:32:16

My 87 didn't have a plug over the mixture screw when I got it.  I can't say if the PO took it out or there wasn't one.  Many engines from the 80's other than cars didn't have plugs over the adjusters.

Now, they just cut the jet to the exact size it needs to run "right" and put it in on most things.  There's not even a screw or cover.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 12/12/13 at 03:26:48

Steve H wrote on 12/11/13 at 16:32:16:
Now, they just cut the jet to the exact size it needs to run "right" and put it in on most things.  There's not even a screw or cover.

That has been going on in the small engine business for many years.  Carbs with no adjustments - the jets are built right into the carb and they take their best stab at jetting them to fit all elevations.  It sure can make for some bad running engines.  A fellow in this building bought a pair of the little Doodle Bug minibikes for his sons.  He brought them to me to look over as one did not run well.  I spent a long time working on the bad running one - they have Chinese engines on them and no carb adjustments.  I never could get the problematic one to run right.  I believe the carb was just too lean.  I tried raising the fuel level in the carb by adjusting the float and it ran a tad better - but never as good as the other bike.  If the carb had an adjustement screw....it would have been easy-peasy!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #25 - 12/12/13 at 05:27:59

My 1993 Savage carb looks same as in the picture.

14365412   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #26 - 12/12/13 at 06:15:42

Took a pic of the wife's, best I could with the cell phone... see how the jet is a ways back inside? Well, when I find another savage around here I'll take a snap of the carb on it...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #27 - 12/12/13 at 06:38:28

Hi, I'm in the UK and the mixture screw on mine looks like the one on Bluesmans carb, the one on old riders looks like it may have had the plug taken out. As Dave pointed out there does seem to be something like a glue residue around the screw and in the slot,perhaps someone did alter it to achieve the correct emissions and then epoxied it over, speaking from experience if its running ok leave well alone,or you'll end up like mine ( in bits in me mams garage) Smiley

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #28 - 12/12/13 at 15:34:25

Well, looks like the "remove the plug and adjust away" tip is not universal after all. Good thing we noticed the differences.
I´m going to contact a scrapper to see if I can get a cheapo EU Savage carb to dissect. Until then - beware.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:33:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That plug covering the mixture screw...( on carb)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.