Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
History of the Motorcycle.....long video (Read 74 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
History of the Motorcycle.....long video
12/08/13 at 03:04:48

Last night I found a Modern Marvels episode about the history of the motorcyle.  It lasts 1.5 hours and is worthwhile....I learned a lot of things:

1)  My computer chair is not all that comfortable.
2)  I don't have $ 185,000 to buy a Sport Bike with a jet engine.
3)  The Harley's and Indian's of the 40's look really comfortable, and resemble Serowbot's handlebar and seat arrangement.
4)  I learned why the bike makers prospered, some died....and some came back.
5)  The Honda Cub and Supercub have the record for the most bike sales of any motorycle in history.

I didn't watch the whole thing in one sitting......but it is a worthwhile show that does a good job of exlaining a lot of things.  It should have had some more on sport bikes and road racing, hill climbing, trials, speedway, enduros - but then I guess it would have been a 4 hour show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXXxCagm-yc

« Last Edit: 12/08/13 at 04:35:28 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: History of the Motorcycle.....long video
Reply #1 - 12/08/13 at 08:55:13

My evening is planned... Pass the popcorn... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 12/08/13 at 10:15:08

Pretty good. A little more overview than details. I was sort of expecting it to be a little more in depth but that would have made it longer.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 12/08/13 at 11:31:23

I lost it at "Boy's Toys."  Quick peeks to fast forward and I see it is about racing and toys.  Back around 1915 15-20% of all motor vehicles were motorcycles.  By 1925 motorcycles dropped to less than 1% of motor vehicles.  In early '60's Honda started building/selling toy motorcycles, the number of motorcycles increased to about 5% of all motor vehicles.  Late '80's they started pushing sport bikes and the deaths jumped.

But that "history" is about the toys, not that small minority the used motorcycles for mere cheap transportation.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 12/08/13 at 11:39:35

LOL, made the wife mad  Angry Angry Angry.... I couldn't stop watching it... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/08/13 at 15:57:24

old_rider wrote on 12/08/13 at 11:39:35:
LOL, made the wife mad  Angry Angry Angry.... I couldn't stop watching it... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue

I didn't post this to cause problems with the wife!  I watched the first hour of it after she went to bed last night.....and the rest this morning before she got up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 12/08/13 at 17:58:37

Some good stuff, thanks for posting.   Wink

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 12/08/13 at 23:37:44

Not sure whether I quite agree with some of Paladins comments about "the small minority who use motorcycles as cheap transportation". The motorcycle provided this for many years in many countries throughout the world, and continues to do so. For example, in England for much of the first half of the twentieth century car registration was based on one English pound for every RAC/NACC rated horsepower, a very significant sum in those days. Motorcycles were exempt from this taxation, as far as I'm aware and therefore were the only way many Englishmen could motorise. This also accounted for the popularity of the side car in England. In New Zealand from 1945 to 1984 new cars were expensive and prior to 1980 difficult to buy. Motorcycles weren't and I brought my first one for those reasons. After 1984 the government changed the rules and allowed the import of second hand cars from Japan. The steering wheel was on the right side, motorcycle sales collapsed and remained collapsed until about the mid 'nineties when baby boomers began buying them as toys.
Asia and many developing countries have significant populations that simply can't afford cars, but can afford anything from 50cc Honda step throughs to about 250cc bikes. These people are buying transport not toys and you only have to look at some of the posts on this forum to confirm this. India apparently uses motorcycle registrations as a measure of it's prosperity.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 12/10/13 at 17:59:02

A very well thought out and presented post JC. I have to agree that the USA is a totally different animal when the subject of motorcycle ownership is discussed. A very very small few of the US population depends on bikes for their main mode of transportation.

Of course much of that is due to the sheer size of our country and the insane distance many of us travel to work. I myself travel about 40 miles one way to my job and in weather like we have right now ,15-20*F in the mornings and 5-6" of snow on the ground, I sure don't want to ride 40 miles to work in the dark! Many of my neighbors travel twice that distance! I would guess people in the rest of the world may travel less than 5 miles to work.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:16:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › History of the Motorcycle.....long video

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.