Send Topic Print
86 Savage Restoration (Read 653 times)
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

86 Savage Restoration
12/07/13 at 21:11:23

I bought this bike for my brother in-law. It was a straight up basket case but I only gave a couple hundred bucks for it with a clean title. The wiring harness was completely destroyed, the paint in terrible shape, the frame showing its age and the bike was just all around rough. It was also in pieces. When I got it home I built enough of a harness just to see if/how well it ran. Runs great, idles great, pulls hard throughout the range and the transmission/clutch is perfect. After a day of testing/tuning, we tore it down to get started. Its been a week and things are progressing a little slower than I'd hoped but I've been running between Chattanooga and Atlanta working on a hydrogen generator(I work for an alternative energy company).

So far we have stripped the tins, repaired the dents, blocked the tank and primed the frame. Tomorrow we'll be finishing the prep and spraying the tins, frame and motor. We couldn't decide on color but then found some Dodge Viper blue(very fine flake) from a past build that we'll be using. I'll be making some side covers, the bike didn't come with any and I don't like the factory ones. They leave too much of an empty hole behind the motor.

I'll be upgrading the brakes to a dual disc front, disc rear. Not only is this my brother in-law's first bike, my pregnant sister will be a passenger on it. I want to have more stopping power than we need. I'm hoping to keep the stock forks to keep cost down but I don't know that I can shoehorn in dual discs between the legs. I have a set of stock forks with triples from my 2001 ZRX1200R that I may try to use. I've also got the rear braking system from my 2007 Harley Streetbob collecting dust. The bike has a 150 15 on it now and I'd like to get a 160 back there if I can.

I'll post some updated pictures tomorrow after the tins are sprayed. If all goes as planned the bike will be on the road this coming weekend. This is my first Savage build and so far its been a joy. The machines are beautifully simple.

One thing I'm not sure about is the decompression system. When I made the harness to run the bike I bypassed it. The bike starts quickly and easily without it so I'm debating on all together ditching it to clean up the head a little. Thanks for the forum and hopefully you'll enjoy the build. I'll update daily.

P1010017.JPG
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 86 Savage Restoration
Reply #1 - 12/07/13 at 21:15:49

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/07/13 at 21:55:02

Quote:
I'll be upgrading the brakes to a dual disc front, disc rear. Not only is this my brother in-law's first bike, my pregnant sister will be a passenger on it. I want to have more stopping power than we need. I'm hoping to keep the stock forks to keep cost down but I don't know that I can shoehorn in dual discs between the legs. I have a set of stock forks with triples from my 2001 ZRX1200R that I may try to use. I've also got the rear braking system from my 2007 Harley Streetbob collecting dust. The bike has a 150 15 on it now and I'd like to get a 160 back there if I can.

dual fronts with the stock forks will be difficult.  not only does the right fork lack the mounting, but the hub lacks it too.  It'll be much easier to swap something else in there.  any of the gs series will bolt right in for the most part.

the rear drum while much maligned, is quite capable of locking the rear.  getting a disk in there will be quite difficult too.

WWW   IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/07/13 at 22:20:47

Yeah I became aware that the rear drum can lock up quickly when I test rode it around the block on a damp street. What I'm concerned about is that they live in the Tennessee mountains and will be riding down hills often. I'd rather have a fade-less disc. I'm not concerned about brackets, they are simple enough to fabricate, I'm not sure I'll have the room without a front end swap. I did a USD swap on my ZRX so I have a front end, just not a direct bolt on and the rake won't be as pronounced. Brakes and suspension are the two things I give the most attention to. Too much is better than too little. From all I've been able to read, the Savage is about as reliable as the sun. I'm hoping that my brother in-law will get tens of thousands of trouble free miles out of it before the next rebuild. The motor didn't need bearings, all I did was put new rings and a jug gasket on it. It didn't even need those but while the motor was out and easily accessible I assumed it would be a wise thing to do.

One thing about this bike is it makes a lot of off-the-line torque. It feels quicker to 30mph than a little Honda Magna V30(4 cylinder, 60+hp) that I just finished does. I think I can drop a few rear sprocket teeth without losing any low speed ride-ability that will decrease the highway revs.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 12/08/13 at 02:55:12

How many miles on the motor? Cam chain tensioner might be near it's limit depending on mileage ... ya might wanna have a look see and consider swapping it it for one of Verslagen's "verslavy" modded tensioners ...

Good luck with the build and please keep us posted ... am anxious to see how this one turns out! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/08/13 at 04:26:21

Hey Tempted sounds like you started with a basket case for your build, but you seem to be up for the challenge and have a solid plan.  Thanks for sharing with all of us, looking forward to watching the fun unravel   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/08/13 at 09:19:53

Unless you really just like projects and scrounging around for parts.....the stock brakes are up to the job. They can handle the power and weight of the bike.  When we go to the Dragon Run in North Carolina and Tennessee and spend the week chasing Oldfeller around with some very spirited riding, we have never had any issues with the brakes.  This year Oldfellor and I found a road just like the Dragon that was 30 miles long and road it non-stop.....and never once did the brakes even cross my mind.....they work fine.  I think Oldfeller got his pretty hot when chasing BigZuke - but never to the point of causing any problems.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/08/13 at 17:41:41

For the life of me I can not get the triples separated from the stem. I've pulled the tubes and risers but I had to tape the triples when I painted the frame because I can't remove them. I tried a small press, soaked it in tranny fluid and worked at it with a mallet for an hour to no avail. There isn't much visible rust or oxidation at the stem and the nut came off with no fuss. I don't know what the little covered lock on the stem is or how to remove it. The key doesn't fit. I assumed it to be a steering lock but would think that if this were the case it would use the same key as the ignition and fuel cap.

I need an exhaust system. The one on it was chopped up and "welded" to an un-baffled Harley muffler. Looks like they used a soldering iron as a welder. I don't own a pipe bender or flare tool that would work on a 3" pipe so I can't make one. Since there was no air box included I'm simply going to use a pod and re-jet the carb. I like how pods look anyway. I'll try to get a few pictures up tonight.

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/08/13 at 18:12:04

Working on smoothing the repaired dents. We pulled what we could and fiberglassed the remaining divots.

Rust proofed the underside of the fenders before the rubber undercoating was applied.

I didn't get the tins sprayed blue today like I planned. I got hung up on the triples and then worked on rust proofing and spraying the frame. More to come tomorrow.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 12/08/13 at 18:34:26

That looks pretty good!  I tried that once, it didn't come out so swell.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/09/13 at 04:18:53

Be sure to read this thread before you apply the finish coat.  Several members of this site have attempted to paint their bikes with rattlecans and find a paint that will hold up on the gas tank.  To date....the only paint that shows any ability to hold up is the 2K clear coat.  All of the other paints have peeled, wrinkled or discolored when a bit of fuel is leaked from the tank or dripped while fueling.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1384003491/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/09/13 at 07:43:10

I couldnt use the rear brake much at all,, It would slide the tire.way too easy,

I used an angle grinder & cut grooves in the brake pads,I decreased the surface are that contacts the drum by at least 30%. I can still lock it up a little too easy, but nothing like before.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/09/13 at 08:55:18

Dave wrote on 12/09/13 at 04:18:53:
Be sure to read this thread before you apply the finish coat.  Several members of this site have attempted to paint their bikes with rattlecans and find a paint that will hold up on the gas tank.  To date....the only paint that shows any ability to hold up is the 2K clear coat.  All of the other paints have peeled, wrinkled or discolored when a bit of fuel is leaked from the tank or dripped while fueling.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1384003491/0

I'm not rattle canning it. The only thing rattle canned was the self etching primer and undercoating. My primer gun is clogged and I didn't feel like cleaning it.

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/09/13 at 18:01:50

Applying the first coat of Viper blue to the front fender.

First coat finished, waiting to dry so I can wet sand and apply the next one.

This is the repaired area that had some dents.

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/09/13 at 18:12:15

This is the rubber undercoating. I applied it before I painted the tins but forgot to post pictures in order.

More pictures to come as the build progresses.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:35:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 86 Savage Restoration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.