Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 86 Savage Restoration
Reply #16 - 12/09/13 at 18:23:44

Dfinn wrote on 12/09/13 at 18:13:44:
Looking good man!

Thanks. I think this color will round out on the bike pretty well. I'm clearing all of the polished aluminum parts to get a little more pop from them when they are in the sun.

This is the paint we are using.

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #17 - 12/11/13 at 05:12:30

Tempted wrote on 12/09/13 at 18:01:50:
Applying the first coat of Viper blue to the front fender.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/wvxvxvxvw/Bike/P1010035.jpg

Looking good!  I would like to have the equipment to spray paint some day.
I wish you would wear a respirator though Shocked
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/12/13 at 11:03:18

Gerry wrote on 12/11/13 at 05:12:30:
Looking good!  I would like to have the equipment to spray paint some day.
I wish you would wear a respirator though Shocked
Gerry

Its much cheaper and easier than most people think. I've got two HVLP guns(one primer/clear, one paint) and one high pressure that I use when I'm spraying cheap paint on cheap cars. I have some respirators, just get lazy sometimes.

I'm using some low temp reducer because of how cold it is right now. Even in the attached garage its between 40 and 50 degrees. I always wear them when I'm clearing, that stuff is nasty. I'm using DuPont ChromaClear 4700S. Its a fantastic product, just thick and strong fumes.

I'll post some pictures of the painted and cleared tins tonight.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 12/12/13 at 12:18:45

Ive got some raw metal that needs paint. Its not gonna be above 50* out there. The rattlecan says not to use it below 60.. What happens if I do?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 12/12/13 at 19:03:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/12/13 at 12:18:45:
Ive got some raw metal that needs paint. Its not gonna be above 50* out there. The rattlecan says not to use it below 60.. What happens if I do?

It will likely run, won't stick well and won't dry for a very very long time. I use low temp activator and reducer when its cold out. I also just purchased a big kerosene heater for the garage.

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/12/13 at 19:28:34

This stuff is pretty awesome. Its a 3-1 mix so its very thick and takes some time between coats but it looks great. Its pricey, around 300 bucks a gallon, but it goes a long ways. I'm doing 3 coats of clear on the Savage but a single coat of this stuff is usually all you need.

Spraying it from my primer gun.

Not quite dry after the first coat. I wet sanded this coat and laid a second, looks smoother.

More to come tonight or tomorrow. I've still got to clear the frame before I start reassembly.

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 12/28/13 at 20:41:54

Okay I apologize for being WAY behind with progress/updates. I've been very busy with the hydrogen generator and haven't finished the Savage yet. I just bought a Honda Magna 750 with a dual disc front end that I'll be swapping onto the Savage.

Before being clear coated.

The starter still needs to be cleared.

The shock tops still have to be cleared.

The motor is getting set back in the frame in the morning. More pictures to come.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #23 - 12/28/13 at 21:10:45

Looking awesome!

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 12/29/13 at 12:41:58

This morning.

More pictures to follow as the parts are being re-installed.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #25 - 12/30/13 at 08:42:19

That paint job looks SWEET!  Can't wait to see your finished work!

You're going through the effort to make sure the bike looks great, but have you gone through the engine internally?  I think someone else already said it, but it would be worthwhile to look at the camchain tensioner.  I'd probably pry off the head cover and have a peak, too, but I'm known for finding issues before they become problems.

Or is that creating problems where there aren't any? Huh

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 12/30/13 at 10:16:03

Tempted wrote on 12/12/13 at 19:03:25:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/12/13 at 12:18:45:

It will likely run, won't stick well and won't dry for a very very long time. I use low temp activator and reducer when its cold out. I also just purchased a big kerosene heater for the garage.

MMkay,, heres what I did. I fired up heaters & used a heat gun on places the heater wasnt hitting, heated up the rattlecan in front of the "Jet engine" kerosene heater. Primed, waited, heat it up some, waited, did the heat cycle a few times, then did the same with the red paint. Yes, it took a long time to dry. I still have no idea how the adhesion worked out, since Ive been careful with it. As for running, meeh,, I did no worse than any other paint work. If you looked at the generator propane mod job, you saw my handiwork with a rattlecan.

Thats a very nice shade of blue youre using. The starter & other little parts painted to match will make it really catch the eye. Im not much for flames & Im not at all into skulls & such, but that paint youve chosen would really support a silver "ice" detail of some sort. I hope Im using the right word. What Im trying to describe, Ive seen on Counting Cars.
They fixed up a Chevy ( wanna say about a 35 model) & boat painted to match. The silver flames were almost see thru, they were subtle, not "in your face", they highlited the base color, instead of contrasting or competing with it,
Of course, if ALL you do is paint it & do a fine job, that Color? Its gonna be so good lookin, the shocks, the starter, the detail, its gonna be a head turner.
Are you planning on smoothing out anything on the frame? Taking off reflectors, plugging holes, stuff like that?

Any changes planned for the chrome braces on the rear fender?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 12/30/13 at 10:39:34

The reflectors are gone, most of the chrome is now matte black and I'm building some custom side covers, battery tray, head cover and rear light mount. Since I'm building the bike for my brother-in-law I won't be doing much custom work that I'd normally do on one of my personal bikes.

The internals looked great, there was light wear on the cam but the tensioner looked good. The piston was in great shape, compression is high and the cam "bearings" were perfect. There was a 1mm ridge that didn't bother me so I didn't ream it.

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 12/30/13 at 10:52:42

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 12/30/13 at 11:13:35

how are you finding your paint adhering to the aluminum?
if well, how are u prepping the aluminum?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:33:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 86 Savage Restoration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.