Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Your hobbies when your unable to ride. (Read 359 times)
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Your hobbies when your unable to ride.
Reply #30 - 12/10/13 at 18:16:04

@ walterpump and bluesman....KG4ZAR here. I never got into CW,but work a lot of SSB on 50mhz and looking at some of the digital modes for 6 meters.

And now you know where my username originated Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #31 - 12/10/13 at 18:16:48

Bluesman wrote on 12/10/13 at 18:00:02:
Cool..people seem to stay busy Smiley. I play in a cover band, take part in open mike nights here and there, I also do the oldschool Ham Radio CW bit, and I repair and restore vaccum tube amps. I do photography, both digital and analogue, in home studio or outdoors. And some more. With no kids in the house and no lady, there´s some spare time. At the current speed of things, I figured  out that I need to become 241 years of age if I want to complete all my projects laying around Smiley

Waterpump: what´s your call? Mine´s SM7SCJ. Active mostly on 18 & 21 MHz, lowbudget (HB wire GP on fishing rod and 50W max).

Cheers /Rick

Hi Bluesman:
My call is VE3NWN, in southern Ontario, approx 100mi east of Toronto.  I have my HF rig on right now around 7.046 listening to a NAQCC Sprint.  Trying to contact some guys stateside but so far they cannot hear my 50watts.  Low budget here also with a ICOM 735 (old) and a second hand 6 band vertical.  I am not great at CW but around 15wpm.
73's

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #32 - 12/10/13 at 18:20:56

ZAR wrote on 12/10/13 at 18:16:04:
@ walterpump and bluesman....KG4ZAR here. I never got into CW,but work a lot of SSB on 50mhz and looking at some of the digital modes for 6 meters.

Hey ZAR:
I would love to get into 6 metres but no rig for it.  Ten Tec made a neat inexpensive 6 and 2 metre rig called the 6N2 that I would like to have, then I could do both 6M and 2M SSB.  My shack is out in my garage/studio where I am right now, with my wood stove keeping me warm, listening to 7.046 CW and chatting with you guys.
73's

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #33 - 12/10/13 at 18:22:44

KG4ZAR & VE3NWN - both of you would be easily workable from here, given a quiet plasma-TV-free night. I´m sure we will hook up during the winter Smiley 73 .-.-. ...-.-  Cool

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #34 - 12/10/13 at 18:48:54

Bluesman wrote on 12/10/13 at 18:00:02:
Cool..people seem to stay busy Smiley. I play in a cover band, take part in open mike nights here and there, I also do the oldschool Ham Radio CW bit, and I repair and restore vaccum tube amps. I do photography, both digital and analogue, in home studio or outdoors. And some more. With no kids in the house and no lady, there´s some spare time. At the current speed of things, I figured  out that I need to become 241 years of age if I want to complete all my projects laying around Smiley

Walterpump: what´s your call? Mine´s SM7SCJ. Active mostly on 18 & 21 MHz, lowbudget (HB wire GP on fishing rod and 50W max).

Cheers /Rick

Hey Bluesman:  I finally got through to a fellow in Texas.  Pretty good Ontario to Texas.  He is WA5PFJ in Midland Texas - yahoo.  Very pleased with that distance.  He gave me signal report of 559 but he copied me just fine and we chatted for almost 20min (CW).

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #35 - 12/10/13 at 18:58:11

walterpump wrote on 12/10/13 at 18:20:56:
ZAR wrote on 12/10/13 at 18:16:04:

Hey ZAR:
I would love to get into 6 metres but no rig for it.  Ten Tec made a neat inexpensive 6 and 2 metre rig called the 6N2 that I would like to have, then I could do both 6M and 2M SSB.  My shack is out in my garage/studio where I am right now, with my wood stove keeping me warm, listening to 7.046 CW and chatting with you guys.
73's

Walter the TenTec 526 is a sweet rig. Even with only 20w rated output they seem to compete with the big guns pretty well. I keep looking for one myself but when the rare one comes up for sale they fetch around $500 USD. I was lucky and traded an excess to me shooting iron for a Kenwood TS60 for 6 meter work. It's rated 90w output and with only a rigid dipole I've worked 28 states and 3 countries. My farthest qso was the Island of Trinidad in the Caribbeans. That was worked with only 10 watts on the dipole.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #36 - 12/10/13 at 19:33:43

Bluesman wrote on 12/10/13 at 18:22:44:
KG4ZAR & VE3NWN - both of you would be easily workable from here, given a quiet plasma-TV-free night. I´m sure we will hook up during the winter Smiley 73 .-.-. ...-.-  Cool

Rick if only I had HF equipment Sad . I don't think my 90w 6 meter rig and homebrew dipole will do the job to Sweden. Then again.....they don't call it the magic band for nothin' Cool

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #37 - 12/11/13 at 14:49:36

arteacher wrote on 12/10/13 at 16:45:07:
And I used to fly control line stunt and combat (5 minute epoxy was my friend) as well, and I too still have an Enya 35 on a stunt plane in the basement. Small world.

I'm still flying an old plain bearing Enya 15 I've had for a million years. Bought it new when I was 12. We fly those engines on coreflute combat wings now. Plus a couple of mutant Cox .049's. They're badass. Right now I'm looking at CL options for my pulse jet. I'll RC that one too, though, for laughs. My father in law used to be a state champ in .15 speed (rat race) and he's got some cool old sleds we get out occasionally.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 12/11/13 at 16:17:44

arteacher wrote on 12/10/13 at 16:45:07:
"This it? How does that affect acoustics? Why is that good for killing reflected waves? Ill bet some of that answer can be found somewhere in the same stuff you'd study if you were looking into antenna theory, lots of wave propagation/reflected wave stuff in that kind of application."

Justin: In a Golden Rule room the width is 1.6 times the height and the length is 1.6 times the width. A standing wave is created at the frequency that has the wave length of the length, width and/or height of the room, or their multiples. For example, a room that was 8' high by 16' wide by 32' long would create an awful sounding room as the standing waves created would re-enforce each other and there would be a major bump in the resonance of the room at a certain frequency,  at certain places in the room, and also at 1/2 and 1/4 the wavelength. The dimensions of a Golden Rule room do not allow any particular frequency to be "re-enforced", and in fact work to cancel out any standing wave created by any of the dimensions.

And I used to fly control line stunt and combat (5 minute epoxy was my friend) as well, and I too still have an Enya 35 on a stunt plane in the basement. Small world.

Awwrite! Im gladd I found this,, You ever answer a question for me & I dont say thanks, PM me & point me to it, I missied it, The quote about the Enya sent me looking.. ANYONE,, I ask you a question & dont say thanks when ya answer, Point it out, I missed it,,
Thats some cool stuff about that room.

I placed 2nd in a 150 lap rat race with that Enya on a Buster. I pitted 5 times, everyone else pitted 3 times. That sucker ran Goood.. IIRC, I ran 6 gallons thru it before I replaced the piston & sleeve.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #39 - 12/12/13 at 15:35:20

It IS a small world- I had a Buster too. Mine was red. I think I had a Fox .35 on it. I remember I had a rig on it so I could start it up and run to the control handle, and yank a cord to release the plane. That was a great plane.
I also had a Nobler with a Fox .50 schnurel and 3-wire controls, to add throttle control.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 12/12/13 at 22:45:36

I tricked my Buster out a bit. I opened a place up under the rudder & epoxied a 1 oz. trot line weight in it. That thing would come out of a wingover going backwards & go straight back up the line it was coming down on. One day, the slug flew out,,
The Buster had a good elevator to horizontal stabilizer ratio & a low profile, long chord wing. It would move out real good & do vertical 8's with no problem. I rigged a Flight Streak with flaps on the back of the wing that worked opposite of the elevator.. That dude would turn tight,,
Vertical 8's with that thing were crazy,,I crashed it before I got around to weighting the tail. All C/L planes Ive seen are a bit nose heavy,so a tail weight helps out, but an ounce may be a bit much that far back,.Gotta be careful about weighting the rear too much, wouldnt want the mass to drag the tail out & put slack in the lines,

A guy I knew brought out one of his hot rodded up Fox 35's on a combat & told me he wanted me to fly it. Id never handled a fast combat before & that thing ran 98 MPH,, I lost sight of it 3 times & only saved it by feeling the pull of it. I was never so happy to see a plane run outta gas in my Life! A pacifier load of fuel only lasted a coupla minutes, but that was a coupla very intense minutes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 12/13/13 at 11:11:30

I Always wanted a Nobler.. I wanted to do carrier landings & fly the stunt "outline". Did you compete? Ever fly real combat pulling the ribbon? I did twice, once I stuffed mine right thru the other guys plane. Mine saved, his went in the trash,,Smiley. The other time I was flying with an older guy, we had lines twisted a few turns & he just let go of his. I asked him why & he said he didnt wanna see a young guy lose his plane,, Dang, I hated seein his plane crash,,absolutely needless loss. All we had to do was calla truce & unwind the lines,, no big deal,,
I had a buddy who bought a biplane w/ 3 lines. He wouldnt even try to loop it,, & he wouldnt even consider letting me fly it,,

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #42 - 12/13/13 at 23:57:00

TRYING TO STAY WARM
and out of the line of fire Sad

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #43 - 12/14/13 at 10:13:16

When I am unable to ride the savage I play with my cages and other toys.

« Last Edit: 12/14/13 at 16:51:10 by trini tuner »  
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #44 - 12/15/13 at 14:43:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/13/13 at 11:11:30:
I Always wanted a Nobler.. I wanted to do carrier landings & fly the stunt "outline". Did you compete? Ever fly real combat pulling the ribbon? I did twice, once I stuffed mine right thru the other guys plane. Mine saved, his went in the trash,,Smiley. The other time I was flying with an older guy, we had lines twisted a few turns & he just let go of his. I asked him why & he said he didnt wanna see a young guy lose his plane,, Dang, I hated seein his plane crash,,absolutely needless loss. All we had to do was calla truce & unwind the lines,, no big deal,,
I had a buddy who bought a biplane w/ 3 lines. He wouldnt even try to loop it,, & he wouldnt even consider letting me fly it,,

I have a profile Nobler I built years ago. It has the .15 on it, flies well for a plane with no airfoil. Has flaps though. My partner's dad has the real thing with an OS 35 and it is a real honey to fly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:31:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Your hobbies when your unable to ride.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.