Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Your hobbies when your unable to ride. (Read 359 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Your hobbies when your unable to ride.
Reply #15 - 12/08/13 at 19:28:11

When I'm not motorcycling I'm into radio controlled gliders. I fly slope gliders, thermal, discuss launch and the most fun of all, dynamic soaring. I mess about with electric aeroplanes and helicopters too, but mostly just for the company. Gliding is where its at for me. Lately I've been messing about with pulse jets. Got a HK special, Dyna Jet and just got gifted a (I think) old Bailey jet by a riding buddy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSjHuEYXLo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUa7gJ5EE...
for a look at my HK pulse jet going on the test stand. It's loud. 140db.
I'm a surfer, ride mostly my longboard these days and occasionally a retro single fin or 5'6" fish
I fly paragliders, ridge soaring and cross country thermal flying, have my tandem endorsement. I love flying with passengers. Got about 400hrs logged. It's great fun.
And I like spending time with the wife and kids, hanging around at home, camping and 4 wheeling or skiing at the river.
Sometimes I find some time to go to work.

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 12/08/13 at 19:38:00

Serowbot wrote on 12/08/13 at 18:52:27:
Tempted wrote on 12/08/13 at 18:37:51:
When I'm not riding I'm building bikes and cars. I also anodize and restore paintball markers, build offroad toys and fish.

Pretty cool....

...what do you build the fish out of?... Huh...

Grin Grin Grin...

Usually ex girlfriends.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 12/09/13 at 07:51:18

Sounds like Gizzo has a lot of fun,,
I played with RC stuff a while,,I had a 60 on an Ugly Stick & had modified the rear control surfaces to be larger and then gave the servos leverage to swing them hard. It was coming along as a nice stunter when some A55HOLE decided to flip his transmitter on & it was the same channel as mine. No one else noticed what he did, or the club woulda made him pay for my plane, He did it on purpose, Id been flying less time & was able to take off & land & could fly circles around him, he was just jealous. I decided then that if a plane could go from fun to trash sack in that amount of time & at that expense, Id find a new hobby,,Sold the engine & radio, I DO still have an Enya 35 & a Veco T-,, Hmm,, dang,, Itll come to me,, A Veco Tank & the handle to build a You Control. May build one for the grand kid one day,,Hafta get an .049 & teach him how to fly, tho,,cant afford to l;et him stuff big ones in the ground till he learns ;

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 12/09/13 at 07:56:06

There ya go JOG.... get him interested in RC' flying..... he could be a drone pilot... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
and be able to keep an eye on his crazy ol' grandpappy!  Grin Grin Wink

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 12/09/13 at 09:01:07

Heck, just walk by & look in the shop.. The other day he asked me
"Papa,, why are you always building something?"

I am STILL working on getting that propane tank & regulator mounted.
Listened to Coast to Coast last nite & fiddle farted around with it some more. Gonna be a real tidy, well thot out installation, but dang, finding that "Just right" piece of junk, cutting, fitting, cleaning,, AAAGGHHH!!
It just takes a lot longer than it looks like it should, Finally got all the bits & pieces cut out, just 2 more plates to weld onto the generator frame, to hold the vapor regulator.
To make the "seat" for the tank I sliced across the 1X2 bracket & laid in pieces of 1/2" square tubing( you dont even wanna know how long it took to get the distance between & angle of the cuts & then opening them  to the right depth to lay the tubing in & making sure I didnt set them deep enough to have the bottle sitting on the bracket where the bottom of the bottle is kinda rounded instead of sitting on the ring/base its supposed to sit on.) that I cut one side out of, tack welded & then brazed up gaps. Ive used parts from a manual treadmill, a regular bed frame, the 1/2" square tubing was part of a hospital bed some guy had me store for him,, It didnt sell, so, he gave it to me, & the last 2 bits came from a junk riding lawnmower. A cut off disk in a grinder is a mighty handy tool,,OHH, & FWIW,, I may be the worlds worst welder..weld & grind & weld again, grind some more,,, BUT, NOt blowin holes in that stuff is more important than getting a full weld down on the first pass..The welder is at its lowest setting, using some skinny rods. Theyre not 1/8th, idk what they are,, I like them, so, I better get some more. NOT from Harbor Freight..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #20 - 12/09/13 at 09:43:11

I used to make miniature steam engines, but  you now have to have a certificate and get them tested and the Health and Safety seems to be killing some of this activity off.   But I can ride a bike when I want.   Thanks to the model making , I have a lathe and mill , oxy-propane and other gear so I can make parts for bikes.  So now I make bikes  in my workshop. I also had a couple of Rolls Royces and a Bentley,  ( one after the other)  but I have no room to work on them, so now I have a nice garage with two bikes at present and one being built in another shed.  It can rain a lot here, and we might even get snow , which can some years be very heavy.    But I don't like laying things up for the winter, you save a bit on the road tax,  but I like to go out when the weather is fine,   sometimes you can have weeks in the "Summer"  here  when it rains every day.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #21 - 12/09/13 at 11:10:36

Tinker on the computer. Keep up with the wife and kids... which ensures that there is always something on the honeydo list.  I have a reloader for ammo.. so if I am completely out of things to do I have that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 12/09/13 at 21:40:42

keith pearson wrote on 12/09/13 at 09:43:11:
I used to make miniature steam engines, but  you now have to have a certificate and get them tested and the Health and Safety seems to be killing some of this activity off.   But I can ride a bike when I want.   Thanks to the model making , I have a lathe and mill , oxy-propane and other gear so I can make parts for bikes.  So now I make bikes  in my workshop. I also had a couple of Rolls Royces and a Bentley,  ( one after the other)  but I have no room to work on them, so now I have a nice garage with two bikes at present and one being built in another shed.  It can rain a lot here, and we might even get snow , which can some years be very heavy.    But I don't like laying things up for the winter, you save a bit on the road tax,  but I like to go out when the weather is fine,   sometimes you can have weeks in the "Summer"  here  when it rains every day.    

How many have ya built? How many failed the test? If you have sufficient experience & a batting average, build it, play with it,, dont sell it,dont let anyone near it untill you know its good.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 12/09/13 at 23:50:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/09/13 at 21:40:42:
keith pearson wrote on 12/09/13 at 09:43:11:

How many have ya built? How many failed the test? If you have sufficient experience & a batting average, build it, play with it,, dont sell it,dont let anyone near it untill you know its good.

What JOG is saying...... if yer successful there will be tons of folks wanting one...
I would be in the line myself Cheesy
Screw the man, make'm work and sell them on the sly, what they gonna do? arrest you for selling experimental power machines?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #24 - 12/10/13 at 13:06:36

Hobbies!!!
Yoga, Weight Lifting, Tai-Chi, Amateur Radio - esp CW, keeping the wood stove going in my garage/studio, working on my Savage (building the wood stand right now, ordered the Verslavy Tensioner, buying Dyna Glide muffler this weekend, going to do the carb jetting to go with the new muffler, by spring also want new progressive shocks on back end, progressive springs in front end, fork brace on, and my christmas present installed - VaporTek Digital Dash Smiley
Fun, fun, fun.

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 12/10/13 at 16:28:51

walterpump wrote on 12/10/13 at 13:06:36:
Hobbies!!!
Yoga, Weight Lifting, Tai-Chi, Amateur Radio - esp CW, keeping the wood stove going in my garage/studio, working on my Savage (building the wood stand right now, ordered the Verslavy Tensioner, buying Dyna Glide muffler this weekend, going to do the carb jetting to go with the new muffler, by spring also want new progressive shocks on back end, progressive springs in front end, fork brace on, and my christmas present installed - VaporTek Digital Dash Smiley
Fun, fun, fun.

What is CW? Seems I have a CW option on a knob on the shortwave but cant get squat

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #26 - 12/10/13 at 16:45:07

"This it? How does that affect acoustics? Why is that good for killing reflected waves? Ill bet some of that answer can be found somewhere in the same stuff you'd study if you were looking into antenna theory, lots of wave propagation/reflected wave stuff in that kind of application."

Justin: In a Golden Rule room the width is 1.6 times the height and the length is 1.6 times the width. A standing wave is created at the frequency that has the wave length of the length, width and/or height of the room, or their multiples. For example, a room that was 8' high by 16' wide by 32' long would create an awful sounding room as the standing waves created would re-enforce each other and there would be a major bump in the resonance of the room at a certain frequency,  at certain places in the room, and also at 1/2 and 1/4 the wavelength. The dimensions of a Golden Rule room do not allow any particular frequency to be "re-enforced", and in fact work to cancel out any standing wave created by any of the dimensions.

And I used to fly control line stunt and combat (5 minute epoxy was my friend) as well, and I too still have an Enya 35 on a stunt plane in the basement. Small world.

« Last Edit: 12/10/13 at 18:13:51 by arteacher »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #27 - 12/10/13 at 17:43:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/10/13 at 16:28:51:
Hobbies!!!
Fun, fun, fun.

What is CW? Seems I have a CW option on a knob on the shortwave but cant get squat

JOG CW is short for continous wave. In simpler terms....Morse Code. When radio first came to be,and Morse Code was the only mode of radio communication operators used "spark gap" transmitters. These produced a continous wave at a given frequency and the "spark gap" was just a break in the radio wave. the gap was produced similar to the Jacobs Ladder we learned in science class as kids. The lenght of time the gap was open determined either the dot or dash.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #28 - 12/10/13 at 18:00:02

Cool..people seem to stay busy Smiley. I play in a cover band, take part in open mike nights here and there, I also do the oldschool Ham Radio CW bit, and I repair and restore vaccum tube amps. I do photography, both digital and analogue, in home studio or outdoors. And some more. With no kids in the house and no lady, there´s some spare time. At the current speed of things, I figured  out that I need to become 241 years of age if I want to complete all my projects laying around Smiley

Walterpump: what´s your call? Mine´s SM7SCJ. Active mostly on 18 & 21 MHz, lowbudget (HB wire GP on fishing rod and 50W max).

Cheers /Rick

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #29 - 12/10/13 at 18:10:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/10/13 at 16:28:51:
Hobbies!!!
Fun, fun, fun.

CW is amateur radio talk for Morse Code, used by a lot of amateur radio operators to communicate with each other.  It is kinda neat and getting a little rare, but I enjoy it.

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:26:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Your hobbies when your unable to ride.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.