Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Your hobbies when your unable to ride. (Read 359 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Your hobbies when your unable to ride.
12/07/13 at 12:09:06

So seems most of us are under a cold snap and
that is keeping us from riding.
So what other hobbies do you have, that keeps
you preoccupied when your unable to ride?

Myself I go to the gym, do Zumba at least 3 x's a week,
and am in the mist of redoing the living room.
I painted the ceiling in the kitchen and living room a
couple weeks ago. Ugh I hate painting ceilings..
Next will be the walls and then the carpet is coming
out and being replaced with wood..  Smiley
No I am not doing the floor, that is something I am
paying to have done.
Yet I will be watching so I can learn from them.. Their is
a method at times to my madness. Grin Grin Smiley kim

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Your hobbies when your unable to ride.
Reply #1 - 12/07/13 at 12:31:07

I fiddle with computers and finish off old gun projects.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/07/13 at 12:52:24

Same as when I can ride. I build stuff. Was in the shop till 4 am, working on a bracket to hold a propane bottle on the generator. Still at it today.
I dont HAVE to mount the bottle, but if I dont, then if I wanna move the generator, I hafta unhook the bottle, move the generator, go get the bottle, hook it back up,, blaah de blaah de blaah blaah blaah,, SO, Im building a bracket that will mount across the end where the pull start is. It has a hinge in it, so I can pull the bottle off & swing the bracket away, so I can access the motor should maintenance be required,,Im using the 1" X 2" steel that held the control for a manual treadmill someone gave me,
Ive got the rollers & a pulley that mounts to one roller all ready for the day I need to build a sheet metal roller. Ive got rollers from another one, so, with 3 rollers I can run a piece of sheet metal in & make it roll into a tube. My shop really is my man cave. The propane heater brought it from 30 to 48 degrees & never even put it on high. I listened to the radio, shortwave, Listened to Coast to Coast, out of San Antonio. I am about an hour west of Shreveport La., so, that puts us about 400 miles away. The radio is another hobby. I listen to China, Cuba, heck, all over the world. Its not fancy, its a Hallicrafters S-38, IIRC, just 5 tubes. Probably a mid 60's ish vintage. Had all the old capacitors replaced with caps that dont leak & dry out like they did back then. The tuning string has been replaced & its been tuned by a pro. Ive spent more in shipping for service than it cost, If anyone is interested in shortwave listening, hit Ebay, get an old Hallicrafters, I recommend the round tuning dial style. The linear tuning design takes a lot more effort & time to sweep thru a band. If you have room for a long antenna, hang one out. Mine is about 80 feet. If not, there are designs online to build compact & efficient antennas. Antenna design is a cool art & science,,what with trimming caps & such to tune the antenna & drive off stations that are bleeding into the one ya wanna hear. I gotta get around to doin that,,
Another hobby of mine is being HERE & typing long winded responses to simple questions,, Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/07/13 at 16:43:57

Winter is the time for my garage projects.  In the summer the yard work keeps my really busy - so winter I can get a lot of quality garage time in.

This winter the Cafe' bike will get a front fender, and the bike will be painted.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 12/07/13 at 17:59:24

I used to recondition or restore old garden tractors....esp the Simplicity and Allis Chalmers ones,but I hate working in the gravel floored shop in the winter.

My hobbies now involve ham radio,our dogs,reading and raising Buff Brahma chickens. Unfortunately,when you leave home for work at 7:00 in the morning and get home 6:30 to 7:00 at night there's not much time left for hobbies Sad

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/07/13 at 22:51:00

I play a little guitar... occasionally, I get together with friends and play a big guitar...
I spend a lot of time trying to make things do things that they weren't intended to do...
... and, on Sundays,.. I make a big breakfast...

Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 12/08/13 at 00:46:32

Late at night when I was in high school and living at home with parents, I used to throw the covers over me and put on my headphones and listen to my Hallicrafters shortwave radio till all hours of the night.  Good times!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 12/08/13 at 01:05:17

You may not be aware that an American Hallicrafters set was crucial in winning the Battle of Britain for the Poms. The Hallicrafters set was fitted to an Avro Anson aeroplane and detected the early German navigational beams set up to  provide the Germans with accurate night target location over England.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 12/08/13 at 04:47:19

I'm looking to build a pergola off the back of the house over the winter.  Got all the permits and such as well as picked up all the materials to get the ledger board up to get started, just haven't had any free time when it's above freezing and or not raining yet LOL.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #9 - 12/08/13 at 06:01:10

My other big hobby is not just an off-riding-season hobby.  I play bass guitar.  At church, in a rock/pop band and in a big jazz/stage band.  Just like motorcycles, I can't stand to leave well enough alone.  Guitars and basses can also be modified/hot-rodded.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 12/08/13 at 06:24:22

Audiophile. I have a dedicated listening room in the basement which is acoustically treated (double dry-walled, corner traps, wall hangings to eliminate slap echo) and has dedicated outlets for all the components, a heavily modded Thorens turntable, and the room is close to a Golden Rule, so there are few standing waves. I have modified everything to some degree or other. Bryston BP26 pre-amp, Classe CA300 amp, Magnepan 1.6 speakers with upgraded crossover. I even built my own listening chair.
I pick away at a few instruments- Guitar, banjo, dulcimer. I have a banjo uke, which was pretty hard to find.
Photography- I have three nice digital cameras, three film cameras including a mid-format, and a complete range of lenses from extreme wide angle to 1000mm. I was a pro commercial photographer back in the day, but I didn't really like it.
And I read. A lot.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/08/13 at 07:08:13

jcstokes wrote on 12/08/13 at 01:05:17:
You may not be aware that an American Hallicrafters set was crucial in winning the Battle of Britain for the Poms. The Hallicrafters set was fitted to an Avro Anson aeroplane and detected the early German navigational beams set up to  provide the Germans with accurate night target location over England.

NO! I had no idea,, what a clever idea, mount a receiver & start sweeping thru the bands..But having found a signal, how did that let them know the targets? Can you point me to something about this?

Artteacher,, I envy you your ears. Mine are damaged from noise, 24/7 ringing. Ive never had good hearing, really, even as a kid I couldnt pull the lyrics out of songs well. &, for some reason, I would go just about deaf when Mom was telling me I wasnt to go down to the bayou & get my clothes nasty,,
I have a Pentax from the 80's. Got a good lens selection. I USED to be real good with it, able to shoot backlit subjects w/o them washing out, w/o a meter. My sisters Pro Photog messed her wedding shots up. Mine were in the front of the album & we aint even friends..
Pretty sure that things on a burn pile somewhere anyway,,

YOu do all those mods on your equipment?
Explain Golden Rule dimensions. I think I know what its about,,& If Im right, its part of every architects training, because the ratios are pleasing to the eye.

This it? How does that affect acoustics? Why is that good for killing reflected waves? Ill bet some of that answer can be found somewhere in the same stuff youd study if you were looking into antenna theory, lots of wave propagation/reflected wave stuff in that kind of application.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #12 - 12/08/13 at 08:29:01

when I can't ride my baby, I have little free time(work takes up too much) and I try to relax. as I can... no vodka is not a way to relax...  Grin
I go mountain Biking (Oh, how cool ride across the autumnal forest paths, hills and at the first snow), skiing, a little play hockey and live in expectation of spring. so that's how it...

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/08/13 at 18:37:51

When I'm not riding I'm building bikes and cars. I also anodize and restore paintball markers, build offroad toys and fish.

This is one of 250 1992 Dodge Daytona Iroc R/Ts built. I've owned 3 of them.

Just some old mud toys.

Basically anything with a motor that can get me in trouble. That 86 Chevy was bought as a rolling chassis and turned into a twin turbo 350, 500hp mud truck lifted on 35s.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 12/08/13 at 18:52:27

Tempted wrote on 12/08/13 at 18:37:51:
When I'm not riding I'm building bikes and cars. I also anodize and restore paintball markers, build offroad toys and fish.

Pretty cool....

...what do you build the fish out of?... Huh...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:36:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Your hobbies when your unable to ride.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.