Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Road trip in the rockies (Read 63 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Road trip in the rockies
12/06/13 at 21:36:29

Has anyone been to sturgis?  Would it be worth the trip?  Where their any s40?  That time of the year is a good time for me to get some time off work.  Just starting to do some general planning.  I've never been to Yellowstone or to that part of the country, maybe ease on back through Colorado.  I guess you could say one more thing off the bucket list.  Thanks, best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Road trip in the rockies
Reply #1 - 12/07/13 at 03:34:57

The wife and I had planned a trip a couple years back to go that route of the country, but a big storm moved in and ruined that plan so we just ran east and had a blast.

Our plan was to head up to Illinois (see the son) then hit Kansas (see some cousin), then hit Sturgis followed by, the devils tower, Laramie Wy (friend), Yellowstone, turn south hit Great Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, then turn back east to hit White Sands Desert (stationed at Holloman afb once), Roswell Nm (test my new tin hat design) and back thru New Orleans and home.  Was going to take a total of two to three weeks....

Its kinda our bucket list too.... you going this year? or just something you might do in the future?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/07/13 at 06:04:31

My brother-in-law went this last year.  He is a Harley guy (Road King) and he and some others trailered their bikes out there.  He said it is incredibly crowded and noisy.  They watched what seemed like an endless procession of Harleys going by, most with modified exhausts, and he said the racket of it gave him a headache.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 12/07/13 at 07:29:52

I heard go 1 or 2 weeks early or a week after, just to see the town and say you've been there.
Also there are tons of roads around the town that were repaved and nice to ride. We were planning on doing the whole trip on our bikes, but will more than likely do a "trailer run" and camp out of the truck, using the bikes to ride the local area roads.
I have a disabled pass for the national parks, so we will more than likely do that. We will most likely do Yosemite and Yellowstone 2 yrs. from now, cause next year we are doing the dragon run and she only one week paid and takes and extra one without pay if the boss lets her.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 12/07/13 at 14:55:15

old_rider wrote on 12/07/13 at 03:34:57:
The wife and I had planned a trip a couple years back to go that route of the country, but a big storm moved in and ruined that plan so we just ran east and had a blast.

Our plan was to head up to Illinois (see the son) then hit Kansas (see some cousin), then hit Sturgis followed by, the devils tower, Laramie Wy (friend), Yellowstone, turn south hit Great Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, then turn back east to hit White Sands Desert (stationed at Holloman afb once), Roswell Nm (test my new tin hat design) and back thru New Orleans and home.  Was going to take a total of two to three weeks....

Its kinda our bucket list too.... you going this year? or just something you might do in the future?

I am giving it some serious consideration Cheesy.  I did a 1500 mile trip this fall and it was pretty darn good.  It is only 1300 to SD and I'm not getting any younger.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 12/08/13 at 01:07:06

Rode thru Sturgis a few years back on my 650 on the way back from my trip to Illinois. Beautiful country! I was there on Memorial Day and a lot of bikes were there. I can not remember the name of the  little one street town leading up to the National Monuments but when I pulled over next to this patio bar with a zillion Harleys,  riders were curious what in heck I was riding. One guy asked me if I had any trouble pulling the hill on the way up. When they found out I had ridden from Portland Or, they bought me a beer and invited me back to a party being held at a bar/restaurant in Rapid City for a outside BBQ.  Had a ton of fun. Be sure and go check out the motorcycle museum in Sturgis. Lots to see!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 12/08/13 at 21:17:17

On my bucket list too !  Cheesy

How about   making it a "STICKY" ,  and lets see how it goes ? Huh

The rockies trip doin't have to be at rally  time and might be better if it ain't !  Roll Eyes

I'm starting in lower middle TN.   and it would be a lot better and more fun to go as a group .

Pgambr where you pulling out from ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 12/09/13 at 07:29:16

I''ll be going somewhere, just not sure how far.  I'll pm you my e-mail and so forth.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 12/09/13 at 07:51:30

Heheh.....just let us know... I'm not working....yet...but I'm still healthy enough to ride and need an excuse to get out on a long one early spring...  the wife and I will be doing the tennesse/nc dragon thing this summer, but I usually take a couple of trips a year if friends want to go out and about.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:35:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Road trip in the rockies

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.