Send Topic Print
Buick Lesabre (Read 114 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Buick Lesabre
12/06/13 at 17:45:11

Hi Guys, I need some help. I just bought a 2004 Buick lesabre . I'm sure it was questionable decision. It has a deactivated onstar, that works but is not subcribed to at this time .My problem is there is a blinking blue bulb in a lens at the top windshield  just in back of the rear view mirror. I don't know if this is a normal part of the security system ,if it means something ,or if there is a simple way to shut it off.Anybody know about this? Thanks!!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Buick Lesabre
Reply #1 - 12/06/13 at 17:55:32

Black electrical tape over it.  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/06/13 at 17:56:23

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 12/06/13 at 17:59:26

Thanks Serowbot for the link to the manual! I have a hardcopy,but I'd rather read it on the computer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/06/13 at 18:51:03

Lay the book on the keyboard,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 12/06/13 at 19:42:05

After much googling I stumbled on the answer ! There are two electronic fobs ,one for the doors and the trunk ,and one for remote starting . It appears when you lock the doors with the remote starting fob the light starts blinking ,I read that all I had to do was unlock the doors with the remote and it stopped . I only spent about 8 hours trying to figure that out. HA ha !

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/06/13 at 21:42:22

I coulda had it & saved ya 7 hours & 55 minutes.. electrical tape is GREAT stuff!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #7 - 12/07/13 at 11:27:23

You could have called the dealership near you
as well.
Great you found the answer and now are familiarizing
yourself with your new car. May it bring you many miles
of enjoyment. Smiley kim

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 12/07/13 at 12:23:05

Thanks Kim, I did call the dealership,but they gave me an incorrect answer ,it was a salesman ,and it was after hours.Now I have to have a spare key made ,$30,from the dealer . I made 3 at home depot ,but they didn't work ,no computer chip . I should have known.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 12/07/13 at 13:05:40

Thats good enough. Keep one handy, so if ya lock yourself out of the car, you can get back in, If ya lose the good one, you have the pattern already, so, you wont be paying out the nose to have one made, Unless ya just Want another key, for another driver, maybe?
It cost us a pretty penny to have a key made for one of our cars,, they had to program the keys brain to the car. The things that poor guy hadda DO! It was like programming a cash register, only he had to go to the car & flip things & do stuff,, took him about 30 minutes. I watched a while & started laffing. He wanted to know what was so funny & I told him it looked almost like that blasted Hokey Pokey game at the skating rink,,he agreed & larfed a bit himself,,

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 12/07/13 at 19:41:54

Thats funny. I think It would be a good idea to have a spare key.They get you coming and going these days.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/07/13 at 23:39:40

Whatever it takes to keep ya safe..

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 12/08/13 at 07:04:23

RL, check out your local locksmith.  My guy said he could duplicate my camaro key for $15.  It's got one of those little black resistors in it.  (VATS key) Or, get your trusty VOM out and find the resistor value and remove and jump the wires with a resistor of the same value.  Then, you can use a regular key.  It'll cost about a buck and probably an hour to do a nice job.

Had to do this to a friend's Cadillac when the contacts in the keyswitch went bad and wouldn't contact the key anymore. Best price on a switch he found was nearly $200 which he didn't have.  So, we did the bypass and he never had another problem with it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/08/13 at 07:21:06

MMMkay Steve! Can you elaborate a bit on that process? My girl has an 03 Taurus & the key has the built in Lock/Unlock/OMG buttons & I had her get copies made that would at least open the door if she locked it in the car. Id sure like to be able to use just a regular $2.00 copy to start that car. If you can point me to a tutorial, thats fine, just Help MEEE!! I really dont wanna drop the $$$ on a key,,

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 12/08/13 at 09:12:43

JOG,

It's the VATS system on GM vehicles.  The little black chunk in the key is just a resistor.  I ran across a table somewhere that gives the resistance ranges. Basically an early attempt to help theft proof the key.  You can't bust out the cylinder and turn with a screwdriver because there would be no resister to complete the security circuit.  Very easily defeated if you know the resistor value.

I am not sure if the Taurus is one, but many fords have an RFID built into their key.  If the RFID isn't within about 6 inches of the ignition switch, the computer won't get the code and it won't start. If it's that system, nobody has found a way to bypass it yet without completely reprogramming the PCM.  The code is built into the PCM as part of the vehicle's operating system.  

I did find the blank transponder keys on Amazon for a little over $9. But you have to have the dealer or a locksmith program it. Or, you can do it yourself if you have 2 working keys.  Here's a tutorial http://www.ehow.com/how_5326448_program-spare-key-ford-taurus.html

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:22:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Buick Lesabre

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.