Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Go smaller for the future? (Read 261 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: Go smaller for the future?
Reply #15 - 12/07/13 at 11:18:46

I rode my Rebel all over for 2 years before
buying my Suzuki S-40.
It was a great lil bike and never left me stranded
or gave me any mechanical problems.
IF I was going to downsize I would look at the Rebel again
as like I said, it was a great bike and mechanical sound. At
least mine was..
Happy hunting and keep us posted.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 12/07/13 at 16:46:24

That V-Star 250 is a nice looking bike.  It is not much lighter than the Savage though.....it has picked up a cylinder and it is tough to keep the weight down when you do that.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #17 - 12/09/13 at 08:45:27

My 1st Bike was a CMX250 Rebel (an '85 that I bought back in 2002) and I've Ridden the V-Star 250 and would have to say that the V-Star was, IMHO, the better of the two by far ...

That said, the Savage/S40 is a faaaaaaaaaar better choice than either the Rebel or the 250 Virago/V-Star ... more torque, more usable power, totally noob friendly, physically not much larger than either of the aforementioned 250s and less than 50 lbs heavier ... most LS650 Riders would not need to downgarde to a 250cc Cruiser ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 12/09/13 at 09:15:12

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/09/13 at 08:45:27:
That said, the Savage/S40 is a faaaaaaaaaar better choice than either the Rebel or the 250 Virago/V-Star ... more torque, more usable power, totally noob friendly, physically not much larger than either of the aforementioned 250s and less than 50 lbs heavier ... most LS650 Riders would not need to downgarde to a 250cc Cruiser ...

+1...

You might consider just putting the Savage on a diet...
I think mine's down to about 340lb wet...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 12/09/13 at 11:12:46

The fellows in this area that are downsizing from their 900 pound cruisers and tourers......are getting Burgmans, and they love them!  I thing the Burgman is still 600 pounds....but the weight is very low.

I have a female freind whose husband rides a big cruiser and she had a Yamaha 250 scooter and has taken week long rides with him and had no trouble keeping up.  Most recently she upgraded to a Burgman and they did Yellowstone and Yosemite.

Pallidan on this site now rides a scooter........they can be great transportation for when you want to downsize.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 12/09/13 at 12:37:28

better.
I realize they are Chinese 250s, but those motors are cheap to replace and some of them are actually bullet proof, that's why i'm asking if anyone has dealt with or actually seen one. I actually have a dealer about 3 miles down the

I've got a china 250 four/wheeler and the motor looks the same.   It is bullet proof.   It got good tork but not much top-end ,

I'd go for the TU250 , if anything.    But    Why do AnyThing ?  You'll never find better than the S-40.   So  , ... get a roadking seat , cut that nose off it  and tuck it perty , rivit some mounting brackets on it to match the S-40's,   then  add some shocks to get it up off the ground .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 12/09/13 at 16:03:45

MMRanch wrote on 12/09/13 at 12:37:28:
better.
I realize they are Chinese 250s, but those motors are cheap to replace and some of them are actually bullet proof, that's why i'm asking if anyone has dealt with or actually seen one. I actually have a dealer about 3 miles down the

I've got a china 250 four/wheeler and the motor looks the same.   It is bullet proof.   It got good tork but not much top-end ,

I'd go for the TU250 , if anything.    But    Why do AnyThing ?  You'll never find better than the S-40.   So  , ... get a roadking seat , cut that nose off it  and tuck it perty , rivit some mounting brackets on it to match the S-40's,   then  add some shocks to get it up off the ground .  

Yes, I got on face book and was talking to a lot of the CCW folks, they are like the savage/s40 group.... dedicated to the greatness of the small frame single piston engine. But the Heist (bobber ccw), looses power in the hills and in windy conditions, great for country roads, but not interslab.
I am probably going to buy a used savage, (been offered one, will take him up on it when Harley sells) and strip it down to nothing (motor and frame) and look for plastic fender replacements, aluminum brackets and mounts...ect...ect.... skim it to its lightest possible weight.
And then, I will make brackets and add-on capabilities to travel that will be removable at the destination so it will become a light weight around towner again.
I realize the savage is already considered a light weight girly bike, but with my disability I want it lighter yet and will strive to get it "right". Like I have said many times before.... I still haven't found that comfortable sneaker that I would refuse to stop wearing.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #22 - 12/09/13 at 16:44:21

Had a Honda S-90 for a first bike, 60 mph all day.  Oh well.  There are some good scooters out there that offer good weather protection and can keep up most motorcycles around town. Cheesy

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #23 - 12/10/13 at 06:30:04

I had a Burgman 650 and it weighs the same as my V Star 1100, balance is way different between the two. After riding either the Burgman or V Star makes the S40 feels like a toy. When I got back into riding, I looked at the different 250s and they are all real close to the same weight as the S40. Best way to put the S40 on a diet is to turn it into a bobber

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #24 - 03/18/14 at 15:25:45

Well, sold the Harley and will be contacting a friend of a friend who's mother is selling her 2004 LS 650 savage, he can't keep it running right so i'm going to try to get it for as cheap as possible.  

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #25 - 03/18/14 at 18:29:06

OR,

Glad to hear that the Harley sold.  Good luck with the S40.  You know you'll be able to keep it going with no trouble.  I like your idea about removable travel stuff.  That would be really nice to get where you're going and have a bike instead of a hauler to ride around.

I test sat a V-star 250 at the shop one day.  Felt super heavy compared to the Savage.  The weight is higher up. I also felt very cramped on it and the rebel where I feel fine on the Savage.

I'll be interested in seeing how you handle the attachables...might have to borrow a few ideas for myself.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/18/14 at 18:40:59

I think you are making a good choice Old-rider.  When you start the weight reduction program on the S40 I would like to follow your progress.  I hope you keep us posted as you proceed.  It will be interesting to learn how much weight can be shaved off.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 03/20/14 at 00:27:25

My next one will be a used VLX600 if I can find a clean one. I like MY Savage just fine, other than the electrical system, but... I really miss riding a V Twin with chain final drive. I'd prefer a Kawasaki VN800 (A or Drifter, Classics are just engine donors) but clean ones are going for the same money as a VN1500 Classic in comparable condition.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:27:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Go smaller for the future?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.