Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Go smaller for the future? (Read 261 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Go smaller for the future?
12/06/13 at 04:08:48

Was thinking maybe for the future for me and the missus' we could go smaller for around town riding. Has anyone dealt with or seen one of these bikes???

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/ccwbikes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKnwE1FJBFc

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Go smaller for the future?
Reply #1 - 12/06/13 at 04:49:28

If it was me.....I would go for some proven vintage bike....with character.

Honda SL100, CB125 or 175, Trail 90 or S90, Suzuki GT185 or GT250, Yamaha RD350 or RD400, etc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 12/06/13 at 05:23:20

Want to buy new.....and  she doesn't want a "sport bike" LOL, I had originally bought her a 2012 250 ninja, she went for the 250 rebel instead. Then wanted something to keep up with the group on highway runs of 60mph, so we got her the savage...but she is small and its kinda big, at the moment she can handle it, but in the future... i'm sure smaller will be better.
I realize they are Chinese 250s, but those motors are cheap to replace and some of them are actually bullet proof, that's why i'm asking if anyone has dealt with or actually seen one. I actually have a dealer about 3 miles down the road...or so the site says, guess where I am headed today? Smiley

Dang things only weigh in wet at 295lbs! And i'm sure I could put a slightly bigger tank on one. Besides, its already bobbed and would be easy to mod for me LOL! Plus it says kick start is available....talk about old school!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 12/06/13 at 07:04:35

Well you already acknowledged that these are basically re-worked China bikes. That would worry me a good bit. But I guess if the intent was not to get too far from help, then they might be fun.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/06/13 at 07:12:39

I don't have much faith in Cleveland Cycle Works motorcycles or the company.  I don't think they will be around much longer.

I appreciate the desire to have a light weight bike for running around town.  I think the best one is the Honda 250 Nighthawk.  I think they were discontinued around 2008 but low mileage used ones are frequently listed on Craigslist.  

They are also about 300 lbs and they handle beautifully, really great for low speed maneuvers.  And they have enough power to get around town or drive country roads.

Resale is usually high because they are so desirable.  There is also the Sym 150 cc.  It's made in Taiwan and the engine is based on the Honda 125, it is light and has enough power to move about in a small town.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/06/13 at 07:44:40

Wow.....what is going on?  I went to the Honda Website.....not a single small displacement street motorcycle in their lineup!  I guess they feel their scooters or the 230 dual sport will be able to satisfy the need for a small bike.

The Suzuki TU250 is reported to be a very nice small bike....although at 320 pounds it is not a bunch lighter than the Savage.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/06/13 at 08:24:52

I agree,.. the TU250 is lighter, but taller... Not much advantage...
CBR250 is the best handling 250 out there,.. but it's a bit crotchy looking...
Low, light, and capable... the Savage will be hard to beat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 12/06/13 at 08:28:33

Quote:
Besides, its already bobbed and would be easy to mod for me LOL! Plus it says kick start is available....talk about old school!

If you're looking at the Heist model, keep in mind that it's a hardtail.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 12/06/13 at 11:53:03

oldNslow wrote on 12/06/13 at 08:28:33:
Quote:
Besides, its already bobbed and would be easy to mod for me LOL! Plus it says kick start is available....talk about old school!

If you're looking at the Heist model, keep in mind that it's a hardtail.

Yeah, that was a concern, have been soul searchin' and net searchin' too, and there are a few owners out there that have posted about the bikes. Low grade gauges, seat springs need upgrade, bigger sprocket give extra on top, different tank and some even bored the engine ever so slightly for 16hp-ish. I personally would not do the engine bore part, more heat less life on the engine.
I liked the little 250 rebel we had for her but the dang thing was a pain to work on. And I've gotten used to the wife's savage and the little ccw's are a BASIC work horse and cheap to boot.
Mind you this is future planning, these things might not be around in 10 years when we will really start needing smaller lightweight bikes, by then we will probably have something else on the roads Smiley but i'm thinking about getting at least one to play with or maybe find a used one I can go pick up.

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #9 - 12/06/13 at 19:35:43

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 12/06/13 at 21:21:43

Nope, sorry , looking for a lean back long bar mini or small cruiser type.
I had a Honda 350 scrambler when I was young and although it was a really great bike I did not find the seating system  very desirable.

I am actually looking at bobber type that I can add a really tall back rest to lean back against and have bars that come to me...not ape, put back to me. I want a lazy boy rider! that weighs under 400lbs!

Rofl... my minds mush... Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/06/13 at 21:40:15

Sounds to me like you want something no one builds.,.& THATS a Good Thing! Go hunting.. then get to buildin,, Im seeing a Honda 450 with some work on it,, I mean, a LOT of work,,

Rake the neck, put a springer on it, thatll aim the bars back at ya.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 12/07/13 at 03:21:32

Went down to the local scooter shop, he happened to have one of the ccw heist in (had been laid down, the forward controls were being replaced)... it was 3 years old and had been stored outside.
All the "add-on" stuff was toast, chrome peeled, metal rusted, but the factory stuff that was on there was still looking good, except for the engine case....it looked a bit pitted in places (that happens here in florida even if store it in the garage if you don't stay on top of it).

It was VERY light, the frame welds were clean, the carb was Korean I think, tank was a 2.5, forks still looked new, all the switches worked, seat could have used some padding and a different spring setup, the speedo was REALLY small (about 2" around), but overall it didn't look like a Honda quality or Yamaha quality more like a local builder had built it, good overall but could be personalized to fit the rider easily.

But the shop owner did say he is getting in a couple of royal enfields next week, so i'm taking my Harley up there and letting him sell it on consignment (promises me to get what I want on it) and in a couple weeks i'll go check them out.

Overall the years I've ridden, I still haven't found that ONE bike that I fit on perfectly, even though I have gotten some really close, not one of them has been my old sneeker that i'll never stop wearing. In the last ten years, I have had at least 8 bikes, and in the 30 years before that, probably 10 more, and STILL I have not found it.

I'm gonna go cheap and see what I can do, either that or i'm going to become a stock holder in Harbor Freight and get stuff to build something with (which I am on the way to doing anyway).

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 12/07/13 at 06:03:41

Quote:
Nope, sorry , looking for a lean back long bar mini or small cruiser type

v-star 250 maybe ? Pretty small. Light. Low seat. Probably too much $$ if you buy new though, esp. if you're going to start choppin' it up.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelhome/589/0/home.aspx

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 12/07/13 at 07:34:54

Didn't know they made one.... kinda looks like a rebel... I will head down to the local dealer and see one, if they have a floor model.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:31:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Go smaller for the future?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.