Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is the smallest 12v alternator you have seen? (Read 134 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: What is the smallest 12v alternator you have s
Reply #15 - 12/06/13 at 11:34:59

But extending the trip using lets say ducted air turbine motors? even spinning at slow speeds  they produce some useable voltage. Well anywho...i'm ready to try spearmentin' with somethin' so..... maybe I can take an already runnin' lectric' type vehicle and see about adding the small car alternator with say a 10" fan for starters. Not sure how fast the alternator will spin at say 20mph, but like I said, i'm a gonna spearment and see.
First I gotta find a smallish lectric' vehicle cheap, I had some small scooters for the boy when he was about 12 years old. 24v system on them and they went like 17mph.

LOL, I just thought of something else.... say using the wheels as a driver for an air compressor ( I know more drag) and nozzle feed the air pressure to assist in spinning a small fan at higher revs?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/06/13 at 11:50:54

any thought to having a prop spinning near you?

why not get one of those wheel hubs with an electric motor and use regenerative braking?  low power/drag for up keep, full power for braking.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 12/06/13 at 12:02:15

verslagen1 wrote on 12/06/13 at 11:50:54:
any thought to having a prop spinning near you?

why not get one of those wheel hubs with an electric motor and use regenerative braking?  low power/drag for up keep, full power for braking.

I have found one....

http://www.proteanelectric.com/en/specifications/

So I emailed them about a smaller version about half the horsepower, who needs 100hp? I could go with 45hp, would be smaller less power consumption and these things have a tube with a flat plate mount (swing arm?)
Wouldn't need a tranny, engine, sprockets ect...... just mount the wheel to a swing arm and build forward thinking of course the power needed to run it for say 200 miles, don't need a monster top speed of 110mph.
You could use the battery pack as a balance point to make it "feel" like a "real" motorcycle.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 12/06/13 at 12:11:18

You're talking about a full eveehicle
I'm talking about keeping stock gas powered rear end
and replacing front with ebrake for recharging bat.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #19 - 12/06/13 at 12:15:06

verslagen1 wrote on 12/06/13 at 12:11:18:
You're talking about a full eveehicle
I'm talking about keeping stock gas powered rear end
and replacing front with ebrake for recharging bat.

ahhh... I see, my head is like spinnin' with ideas at the moment. I really need to get me a project going or i'm gonna fry some brain cells.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 12/06/13 at 12:18:38

old_rider wrote on 12/06/13 at 11:34:59:
But extending the trip using lets say ducted air turbine motors? even spinning at slow speeds  they produce some useable voltage.

No.....It is not going to happen....ever.

Whatever you hang in the airstream of the moving vehicle is going to take away more energy than it can produce.  To gain that little bit of extra energy from the "add on" device.....you are going to have to use more energy to power the air through it than you will get back.  Doesn't matter if it is a fan in the air stream, a generator rubbing on the tire or belt.....anything that makes energy has to get more energy supplied to it.  The only exception to this in a moving vehicle is regenerative braking.....where instead of scrubbing off speed by using friction and heat you can use the electric motor as a generator to use up the extra speed and convert it to power to be returned to the batteries.....and all the well designed electric and hybrid vehicles already do this.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 12/06/13 at 15:49:47

The Betz limit is something around 63%.  This is the most power you can extract from the wind with a perfect windmill.  Nobody has ever achieved that limit yet.  Some have gotten into the 50's.

So, you're already down to getting 63% of the power it takes to push it through the wind.  Then, what's the efficiency of the alternator? (more losses) What's the resistance of the wiring/control system? (more losses as heat)

After all is said and done, if you get 30% of the power input out as electricity, you are doing well.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 12/06/13 at 17:51:14

I got it...  Just put a giant windshield on the bike...
The air resistence will slow your wife down, and require a lower gear... that will spin higher rpm's and generate more charge for a longer time to charge the battery...
Ta da!.... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #23 - 12/07/13 at 00:14:12

OR just chuck loads of money at this http://uncrate.com/stuff/lito-sora-electric-motorcycle/ Smiley or any of these http://uncrate.com/search/electric+motorcycle/
though some of those dont look too bad.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #24 - 12/07/13 at 03:03:57

Yup been lookin' into the electric ones, the cheapest are the silly sumo looking ones that last 50 miles and they are priced at 20k

The most promising one is the Mission R, 165mph top speed, 140 mile range and can charge in 1 hour to 95%. but the long distance one sells for 40k.

I hit youtube for a look see at self made ones and there is a fella making trikes that get about 160 miles on, but he doesn't state how fast he can recharge.

I am all about driving a couple hours and gasin' up and taking a 20 min break and hopping back on and hitting the road...rinse repeat and you can to 800 miles in a day.
With the mission R you might be able to go 800 miles but it would take 10 or 11 hours a day to do it because you would have to stop every 130 miles (2.4 hours) and recharge for an hour. But the price does not fit the bill, there is no way you can save enough money on gas to even think 40k would ever be made back it would take 10 years and by then you would have to buy a new battery pack (5-6k) and have your motor re-brushed.
I went from trying to keep a battery charged or from dying because of short trips to " ya know, i'd like to build an electric 3 wheeler that is affordable and gets good mileage". But i'd like to build a two wheeled one also...guess i'm going to have to learn how to build battery packs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:30:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › What is the smallest 12v alternator you have seen?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.