Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaking of Project Loon, Google owns the patents (Read 56 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Speaking of Project Loon, Google owns the patents
12/04/13 at 06:50:48

FACT:   Three years ago Google applied for and was granted patents on the basic  idea of stratospheric balloon based telecommunications.   It was granted with no contest as nobody else even considered it to be possible.

Now Google is down to the point they are testing out the various balloon skin materials with a goal of keeping the balloons up for over 3 months between having to re-gas them  -- that is 3-4 trips around the world BTW.    Google is looking for 6 months between gassing with new improved skin materials ..... and at an automated zeppelin based regassing station that will carry the gas right on up there high into the sky.

So, Loon is a Googlish idea that is smelling more and more real all the time.  

Google can afford to be altrusitic when the balloons are over New Zealand or continental Africa and they can give internet to the poor huddled masses for free (once they pony up for the receiver that is).  

They have figured out a way to fund this altruism out of YOUR pocketbook.

GIVEN:  Google always breaks even or makes a small profit on all their weird stuff that they do -- funding for Loon will come from premium internet service sold in the USA and Europe for about half the cost of Time Warner Cable, Comcast, etc.

Google intends to bust the chops of the internet monopolists who have refused to cooperate with them to get the cost of internet way down until it is a significant part of EVERYBODY's life.

(so they can sell more ads more effectively of course).

Bill Gates is coming off kinda sour about the whole thing, naturally.   Mainly because he didn't think about it first and durn that Google -- it keeps making his Microsoft increasingly more irrelevant all the time now-a-days.   Constantly.   Incessantly.

And now Google is going to "out altruistic" him to boot by giving entire poor continents free internet !!  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Speaking of Project Loon, Google owns the pate
Reply #1 - 12/04/13 at 07:31:03

Posting that pic about Bill Gate's distress prompted me to check into the CEO search at Microsoft.

MS is still floundering -- they have discounted all the internal canidate guys now and are now trying to hire away the CEO of Ford motor company.

Now that's a fit, ain't it?

Hire a CAR guy to go run a computer operating system company .....

====================

This prompted me to think about Andy Rubin, the tech guru VP that got broken free when Sundar Pichai took over both the Android and Crome OS divisions with the eventual goal of combining them together.

So, what did Google do with Andy?    He is their original star technowhizz kid that put the company in the big green, so what is he doing now days?

He is in charge of Moonshots, Google's pet term for paradigm changing technologies, the ones that can really go big if they work out.

Google Loon is an Andy moonshot

Remember them funny looking geeky Google Glasses?

The $35 Chrome streaming device is an Andy moonshot

Google Robotics is another set of Andy moonshots

So what is Google Robotics?   Turns out it is a LOT of semi-autonomous smart things that don't look at all like humanoid robots.

Remember that Amazon sky lift delivery system that has UPS and FedEx in a such a dither?

..... Andy's boys strike again and again ....

Do you remember the Summer of Code things Google runs every summer where really bright kids get to go to Google Campus and invent neat new coding tricks?    They are given a challenge (a real issue with Android or Linux drivers or something) and they bust it wide open?

Google is branching out with the idea now into the Google Robotics Camps and The Breakthrough New Technology Camps.    Ask them smart teenage geeks what the next great thing is gonna be ...

Google is driving hard at new because NEW means opportunities to get in on the very ground floor in brand new industries that might be really big in the next 25 years.

Microsoft has its Ballmer and Google has its Andy (and about half a dozen other good ones like him).

« Last Edit: 12/04/13 at 09:29:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 12/04/13 at 08:36:07

All for Loon.. I hope it makes Google Billions.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 12/04/13 at 08:43:36

Another Google Moonshot, driver-less delivery vehicles.

Don't laugh, take GPS, Google Maps, four cameras (one at each corner of the vehicle) and only run them in the wee hours of the morning when there is no traffic.

Robotic interstate trucks makes the most sense, just stay in the right hand lane and drive on at the speed limit at night.

They look a lot like cargo containers and they get driven by local people when they arrive using Google glasses and a game controller looking thing.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 12/04/13 at 09:50:17

and put a big shiney cylon in the front seat.

Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/04/13 at 11:19:08

Can't do that, Cylons are patented by Microsoft.

Besides, it ain't got no front seat ...  ain't got no doors either.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/04/13 at 14:02:25

My skin aint all that leaky but I hafta gas up on a regular basis.. I seem to lose it in short bursts, which really doesnt bother me, seems to upset others, tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 12/05/13 at 08:01:17

Somehow I kinda envision a fast and furious grab on a "google truck" as it steams down the highway and the kid at the joystick saying " oh crap! they are mad-maxing my truck! call in the sky patrol!

Well.... you just know its gonna happen....
Guess you should start a flap in the religion and politic posts for the "sky delivery system" turns "spy delivery system", cause ya know that's gonna happen too.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 12/05/13 at 08:09:04

Spying on me would be a sure cure for insomnia... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 12/05/13 at 08:16:21

LOL, man I envision a lot of stuff... not cause i'm on drugs or such.... My favorite saying is " I'm a realist dam!t and see it happen before it does!" and most ask me how can it be real if you imagine it?  And I just answer...wait for it.....wait for it...

Cause you just know a bunch of rednecks are gonna be drinking while looking up at the sky and saying " Hey billybob!(ok maybe its billy joe ray bob) here comes another one!  (insert sound of shotgun) I got it! that's ten points!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:22:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Speaking of Project Loon, Google owns the patents

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.