Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lower nut/bolt on rear shock. (Read 64 times)
sesamestreet

Mississauga
lower nut/bolt on rear shock.
12/03/13 at 12:12:23

I tightened them to spec by holding the bolt side with a wrench but if i don't hold the bolt it just spins freely. I have all the washers in the correct places. I did just remove the belt guard, does that have something to do with it?

Also, on one of the top mounts, everything is nice and tight, except you can spin the washer closest to the frame. Though it's been like that all last season (first season with me) and the nut never showed signs of loosening.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: lower nut/bolt on rear shock.
Reply #1 - 12/03/13 at 13:18:45

You got it right.  The lower bolts and the top studs have a shoulder on them.  The idea is that outer washer and the nut bottom up on that shoulder so that there is a tiny bit of clearance left over so that the shock is free to move a little.

When the swing arm goes up and down the angle changes and the shock needs to be free to rotate a slight amount.  If it were absolutely tight it would resist the action of the suspension.

However, like anything you have taken apart, check the nuts before you ride just to make sure they haven't backed off.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
SSG
YaBB Newbies

Keep Calm and Chive
On!!!

Ft. Bragg
Re: lower nut/bolt on rear shock.
Reply #2 - 12/27/13 at 18:31:30

I removed my belt guard and had the same problem. It spun freely. I went down to the hardware store and bought a washer to go where the belt guard was. You have to remove the rear wheel to get the bolt out all the way. It still moves with lots of pressure bit not nearly as bad as when i first removed the belt guard.

96 bobber, raptor petcock, cone filter, 14k miles,
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:31:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lower nut/bolt on rear shock.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.