Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Anyone driven a modern Royal Enfield? (Read 245 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Anyone driven a modern Royal Enfield?
Reply #15 - 12/01/13 at 05:18:39

Yes I've ridden them when I lived in India, and they are a blast to ride.  The original 350 & 500 bullets were the type of bikes that needed regular attention, basically if you didn't know how to wrench yourself you would have to spend lots of money maintaining them, but as long as they were maintained they ran.  In 97 they changed to the AVL lean burn engine which was more dependable and needed less maintenance, they also started offering left side shift models at this time trying to break into international markets, the engine was better but at the cost of performance which most RE enthusiasts didn't care for.  In 2007 they came out with a UCE engine which is MUCH more reliable actually dependable.  They started exporting them in 2009 after ironing out the bugs from the new engine design.

The main pitfalls of the UCE are wiring/electric (of course because it's roots are English), Rear swing arm issues due to poor manufacturing tolerances (which have been resolved in their new manufacturing plant opened earlier this year), Paint quality has been a major complaint not holding up well (supposedly addressed with the new manufacturing plant, time will tell) And as Pine mentioned the lack of being able to customize the sprockets, the  front chain sprocket is the fixed one that can't be changed, and the rear one can only go larger which sucks for people looking for taller gearing (a lot of RE owners have gone to larger wheels which does help)

And yes Kevin is the only importer, but there are a few dozen dealers scattered across the states.   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #16 - 12/01/13 at 07:21:57

They make cool customs too.My buddy Rick,owns Strokers in Dallas built these out of brand new ones.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 12/01/13 at 07:34:01

So the new ones have springer front ends?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 12/01/13 at 09:35:35

Im sorry, but the lower pic made me think of someone at Wal-Mart on one of their battery powered shopping aids.. Not a motorcycle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 12/01/13 at 12:37:46

Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm starting to like the idea of owning a couple of
smaller bikes rather than one large one.
Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 12/01/13 at 21:10:35

No Ragnar get one bigen and one littleeeen.   you know one to play with and one to ride !  Grin

I wanted one of those enfields bad enough to ride to  western Tn (2.5 hrs away) to look at them.   They sell Endfields and that Russian one ??? (Ural) ??? , anyway the shop owner drove one of the Endields and it looked good with a luggage rack and bags.   Didn't look small at all.   well he said it was a little bussey at 70mph but would do 80 on top-end.   So I as him about gearing it up a little.   He said "Cain't" the rear sprocket is made-into the hub. and the front is either a 16 or 17 .(peroid)...  So I gave it a good looking over ... well he was right ! (to my dismay)... Sad

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #21 - 12/01/13 at 21:30:25

The Yamaha dealer in Phoenix that I bought my first bike from in 1970 (RD 200) is now a Ural dealer too. I pulled over and looked at one in the parking lot. They're pretty cool. I didn't dare go inside.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 12/02/13 at 08:54:16

Ragnar444 wrote on 12/01/13 at 12:37:46:
Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm starting to like the idea of owning a couple of
smaller bikes rather than one large one.
Smiley

Id certainly prefer two petite women over one heifer,,
So, I guess I can see your point with the bikes..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #23 - 12/02/13 at 11:05:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/01/13 at 09:35:35:
Im sorry, but the lower pic made me think of someone at Wal-Mart on one of their battery powered shopping aids.. Not a motorcycle.
 could be an older retired hippie?  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 12/02/13 at 11:36:45

keith pearson wrote on 12/02/13 at 11:05:45:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/01/13 at 09:35:35:
 could be an older retired hippie?  

Don't think so... visit the site... looks like the owner.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #25 - 12/03/13 at 00:14:32

so, I went and visited the enfield dealer yesterday. There are 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 tooth front sprockets available. you gotta take a side cover off to get to it. Big deal. The back sprocket is integral with the drum on the drum rear models, and he only had the 2 sizes listed. But a chain and 2 sprockets (including the brake drum of course) is only $145.00. Anyway, I pre-ordered a Continental GT, it's too cool. Will be in stock here in Feb. And has a rear disc with bolt off sprocket.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #26 - 12/03/13 at 00:34:52

Like this?

SWEET!! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #27 - 12/03/13 at 02:41:33

like that  Cool.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #28 - 12/03/13 at 05:10:04

The springer is not factory,I don't think.Didn't see any on the RF site.And yeah the hippy is Rick Fairless.The owner of the Stroker's empire.Great guy.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 12/03/13 at 21:09:35

Dang !!!

If those things can have a "REAL" crussing gear... I might have to have one of them too !

so, I went and visited the enfield dealer yesterday. There are 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 tooth front sprockets available. you gotta take a side cover off to get to it. Big deal. The back sprocket is integral with the drum on the drum rear models, and he only had the 2 sizes listed. But a chain and 2 sprockets (including the brake drum of course) is only $145.00. Anyway, I pre-ordered a Continental GT, it's too cool. Will be in stock here in Feb. And has a rear disc with bolt off sprocket.

Smiley

So , What I need to do is ask the dealer about the "Disk rear brake" .

Huh
70 + MPG.  and still enough power to pulll most  hills  ?
can it be ???
Thanks  Gizzo !    I'll be wanting an up-date when you get it.  ,   accually I'll be thinking about it all winter waiting on an update !  Heck ! I may be as glad for yours to get  delivered as you will be !!!  Smiley Cheesy Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:22:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone driven a modern Royal Enfield?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.