Garage heater  =/ (Read 147 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Garage heater  =/
11/28/13 at 04:54:41

Well normally here in NC we get a mild fall and short winter, but checking out the extended forecasts I think I'll be looking to get myself a heater for the garage so I can work on the bike LOL. Guess it doesn't help any getting older   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Garage heater  =/
Reply #1 - 11/28/13 at 05:08:58

I remember seeing a special on odd inventions in Europe, one fella had a coverall suit made from heating blankets. Since he normally had an extension cord run for lights into his garage, he just plugged his suit into it and was nice and toasty while he worked. He also used it in the house, he would turn his house heater to bare minimum as to no freeze the pipes and plug the suit in whichever room he was in.  Hmmmmm, now where were those extra heat blankets???? Huh

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/28/13 at 11:25:59

Ive got a kerosene heater. Sounds like a jet engine. Itll warm ya up so youre not in misery, then ya go back to work,till the feet get cold, which, in my case, means total body misery. I also have a heating element that mounts on a propane tank. 2 heads, Its called infrared,, cost about 65 bux.
If the garage isnt insulated, you cant heat it,, you cant even make a 3 degree difference. I use the propane when Im standing in one place. It surrounds me with a small bubble of Not Freezing. I cant afford to have it run constantly, so I get dressed up, 2 pair O socks, thermals, maybe more than 1 pair O pants, layers on top, coveralls, &, keep that head warm,, Heat loss thru the head is a big deal,
The kerosene is $8.00 to $8.50/gallon. Used judiciously 5 gallons can last a few months. By judiciously I mean, fire it up & thaw the feet, warm the legs up, shut it off & get to work,,I had enough from last year to get a week or so of use this year.
If you have a big work area & youre planning on being out there a lot, consider hanging dividers & try to capture your heat in the area youre working in,, YOu get 4 feet from a heater in an uninsulated building & its not even noticeable that its on, I had a wood burning stove out there for a while,, It was useless. & my shop is only 15 X 25, & So Very uninsulated.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 11/29/13 at 05:03:08

It's a newer home and I'm pretty sure it's insulated as it's usually 10 degrees warmer in the garage then outside when it's cold out. The big problem is it's a 3 bay garage with one bay as my work shop so actually heating the entire garage isn't an option, so looking more for an area heat source most likely like the heater on the propane tank like you mentioned JOG.  I've worked in warehouses that use the kerosene heaters and although they heat a lot of space I remember always getting headaches from the fumes, while propane and natural gas have never seemed to bother me   Huh

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 11/29/13 at 05:05:12

Hmmm a cumfy heated suit does sound nice though old Rider, unfortunately I'm sure if I went through the trouble my wife would just claim it as she's the one who is always cold inside LOL.   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/29/13 at 05:35:25

Hang a divider between your bay & the other 2. I got the heater at Academy, Harbor freight sells a 2 head unit for 5 bux less,, whoopee,, Ill take academy..for 65
If you have a gas grill,, swipe the bottle, If not, look for one that size or be ready to spend some $$. Collecting a junk grill for a low price & getting a propane bottle you can have refilled works. Mine has a built in Overfill Protection Device
look for OPD on the valve handle,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 11/29/13 at 07:31:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/29/13 at 05:35:25:
Hang a divider between your bay & the other 2. I got the heater at Academy, Harbor freight sells a 2 head unit for 5 bux less,, whoopee,, Ill take academy..for 65
If you have a gas grill,, swipe the bottle, If not, look for one that size or be ready to spend some $$. Collecting a junk grill for a low price & getting a propane bottle you can have refilled works. Mine has a built in Overfill Protection Device
look for OPD on the valve handle,

Doesn't a propane heater still put out fumes? If it were a barn or outdoor shed I wouldn't worry, but a closed garage might be a bit iffy. I actually was thinking about one of those tower heaters, but it says on them to use outdoors.
Was looking in lowe's at the cooling/heating window units.... cost is around $500-600, but if you were to use it a lot during summer and winter it might pay for itself.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_337173-36634-LRA08PZU1_0+1z114o9__?productId=3477347&...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/29/13 at 09:05:05

Propane runs stoves in homes, heaters in homes, UN vented,,Im pretty sensitive to petro crap & my heaters dont bug me, Even the kerosene.
If youve got the $$$, go big time,, But it isnt JUst the cost of the unit, you gotta pay for it to do its job, read up on that stuff,,

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 11/29/13 at 09:25:17

Right now, propane/natural gas are probably the cheapest heaters to use because of the glut of fuel.

If you go with gas, get one that is designed to operate unvented like the one mentioned previously, a set of unvented gas logs from craigslist would work fine, there are small propane powered wall heaters designed to be unvented too.  The ones designed to run invented are designed for household heating use and are safe to use in enclosed spaces.

Last time I checked, propane was a good deal cheaper if you had one of the bigger tanks from the gas company than it was using grill tanks.
But, you might have to get a gas inspection depending on your local laws before you can us it.

I'll second the divider.  All the way to the top.  You'll bleed lots of heat through the divider into the other space but you keep much more with you if the area is tightly divided from the rest.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 11/29/13 at 09:57:04

Good info.... i'll look around Smiley

I do have one of these, but its not good enough to heat the garage and it requires venting

http://www.lowes.com/pd_93043-88644-RMC-95C6B_4294765336__?productId=3471481&...

Funny that the site says no venting required but the manual suggests it....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/29/13 at 12:05:25

When we moved in here, the heater was a wood burning stove. With screwed up shoulders & backhoe & chainsaws & a splitter, I managed to keep us warm for 3 years. Then I got a small wall heater from Lowes & ran some lines & Violas! Now I dont have the smoke in the house with my asthmatic wife & daughter AND I dont hafta get out in the cold & get wood in,,That heater isnt vented,,We have had no ill effects. That said, this isnt a new house, nor is it closed up tight, Its a leaky Mo D,, so, there is some "venting" going on,, BUT, there is another room that IS closed up pretty danged tite & my daughter uses it & it has the same make/model heater AND she has asthma & she has no complaints,,
Our little house has about a 450 square foot main living area & the little heater does fine in that. If we open a bedroom it will handle that too. Not gonna die of heat stroke, but IF someone wants their house to be in the low 70's in August, then why isnt that comfortable in January? Some people are insane. They want to fight nature. They want their house cold in summer & hot in winter.. They swear theyre comfortable at 80 in January, but simply MUST be at 73 or lower in August,, absolutely nuts,,& cant understand when its explained to them that theyre behaving irrationally & very wastefully,.,IF youre comfortable at 80 in December, then why not in August? If youre comfortable at 73 in August, why not in December? Are any of you crazy? Im not..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/29/13 at 15:39:52

I have had several differenet garage situations and heaters.

When I was in college I had a 2 car brick garage that had a small kereosene heater that was vented.  The heater used no electricity and had a gallon tank on the back.  I think you can still find heaters like this in junk shops and on Craigslist....but I believe they are not EPA compliant and probably not in production anymore.  I could go out and light it about an hour before I wanted to work, and it would have the place heated up pretty well.

My dad's 4 car garage had an old pot belly stove and we would buy lump coal and use it in the stove.  It made a lot of heat, and when night came you could load it up and turn the damper down and keep heat all night.  Later when that wore out and the local coal mine closed we installed a barrel stove made out of a 55 gallon barrel.  It still works very well and puts out a lot of heat.  You can put a lot of wood in one and keep a fire going most of the night.  They put out heat in all directions - so you need some decent clearance around them - and the shell is thin and won't last forever.

A friend of mine got an old electric furnace where the AC coil had gone bad and the resistance heat was still good.  He did not run any ducting  and just put in in the corner of his shop, and it worked good.  It was electric heat which is a bit expensive when compared to wood - but it is neat and clean and requires no flue or duct work.....and you can get old electric salvage furnaces pretty cheap.  All you need is the cabinet with restance coil and blower, and a thermostat.        

« Last Edit: 11/29/13 at 16:43:21 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/30/13 at 05:11:58

Great ideas, thanks for all the brain storming guys. Trying to close off one bay of the garage was the first thought I had when I started planning, unfortunately the wifey doesn't want me to build a permanent wall so plastic/tarps may be the way to go with that. I'll have to see where the gas runs into the house, if it's not too far off maybe I'll just set up a permanent ventless heater tapped into the gas.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 11/30/13 at 19:34:30

The most expensive heat is electric.
Hanging plastic is a great idea. Hanging 2 sheets a few inches apart is better.The dead air between will really help keep the heat in. You can make both "walls" one piece & lay a 2X2 in the bottom & staple it in a few places & use ropes to roll it up & raise it like blinds using a coupla pulleys per section.

This is as close to what I have as I can find. It wall mounts. Remember to build a trap in the propane line to catch any water that may condense. If you dont know , ask a plumber or PM me & Ill give you my number. I ran all the lines for mine. Still alive, Baybee!

Heres the LOWEsdown

Mr. Heater Vent Free 20,000 BTU Convection Utility Liquid Propane Space Heater VF 20K BLUE LP

Mr. Heater VF 20K BLUE LP Enjoy the comfort and warmth of safe, clean-burning heat with Mr. Heater Vent Free Wall Mount Heaters. You can use them in recreation rooms, room additions, workshops, enclosed porches, cabins, ice houses or lodges. Features: -Liquid Propane Blue Vent Free Wall Mount Heater. -20000 BTU. -Blue flame burner for even, convection heat. -Oxygen depletion sensor for safety indoors. -Legs included. -Quiet integrated blower for gentle circulation of heated air (Not on 10,000 BTU Unit). -Can be mounted or stand on the floor. -This item does not ship to California per state law as well as Canada. -Restricted from use in California and Canada. -This item is not CSA cert

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 11/30/13 at 20:27:16

Ive got a setup a lot like this in the shop. I can set it close to where Im working. In an insulated garage, sectioned off, youd do well with such a setup. Its not expensive this way. Swipe the bottle off the BBQ & hook it up. I spent $65.00 at Academy for the burner heads. No gas lines to BUY & then run. No trap to build, & its less than the heater ya cant drag around..
I think youd spend less on heat & much less gettin heat going & a Whole LOT less time & $$$ setting up that heater. You could try it w/o even hanging the plastic.. if its good enough,, then dont hassle with it. Besides, enough plastic to section off a bay in a garage? Thats not gonna be cheap, either. & Its not gonna take 2 hours, its gonna take some time, up & down ladders, spreadin it out, cutting it, hassle on hassle.,,.= hour on hour..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:24:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Garage heater  =/

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.