Send Topic Print
Solo seat mount ? (Read 228 times)
SavageBreed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Solo seat mount ?
11/28/13 at 02:50:30

I have come across several "kits" for solo seats. What I am interested in is mainly good pictures of what it takes to mount these seats or even a step by step to making your own brackets. I guess I am lost on where and what needs to be on the bike to bolt the seat to it. I've searched through the forum and had no luck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Solo seat mount ?
Reply #1 - 11/28/13 at 09:15:08

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 11/28/13 at 14:15:13

Maybe this will help. I made my own mounts (and seat but that's another story). The seat rail is from 1" square tube. It's 7" long, just because that looked about right, no technical reason. I sawed most of one side of the tube off, to make a long "C" section so I could get at the seat bolts. If I'd had C section I would have used it, but it's a bobber so I just use what's hanging around. A couple holes drilled to the same centres as the seat bolts, slot with a round file for fore/ aft adjustment and it's done.

The hinge bracket is from 1" x 1/8" flat bar. Just a short piece the same dimension as the original seat mounting bracket, holes drilled same place so it fits on the stock tank mount. Bend up a "U" shaped bracket that the seat rail fits inside, drill a hole through the lot of them for a pin. The only welding I needed was attaching the "U" shape to the flat bar. If you didn't want to weld, you could use a nut and bolt or rivet it I guess.

Painted the lot and called it good. Took maybe an hour to do the job and cost $0.00  Smiley The back of the seat just rests on the back fender mounting horns, until I get around to sawing them off and fitting hairpin saddle springs. I slipped a short piece of radiator hose over each horn to soak up a few bumps/vibes.
Hope that helps.

IMAG0305.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 11/28/13 at 14:17:44

The hinge bracket

IMAG0304.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 11/28/13 at 14:18:38

How it goes together

IMAG0306.jpg
  IP Logged
SavageBreed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/29/13 at 00:38:22

Thanks for all the input so soon and pictures. Very informative and exactly what I was looking for.  The seat looks good gizzo I like how it came out. Definitely has great flow with the bike from those pictures. Thanks to you too Denim definitely some great setups and additions to the mental designing.

IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #6 - 11/29/13 at 20:52:41

I used a piece of steel bar stock bent across the width to the side mounts and another for the front.

DSCN1057.JPG
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #7 - 11/29/13 at 21:42:05

another view

DSCN1050_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:19:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Solo seat mount ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.