Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Best interstate tourer
Reply #15 - 11/27/13 at 10:05:18

Id spend time on every forum that is about a bike that just Might fit your needs. This is a decision that wont be cheap or easy to change should you make the wrong choice. Take your time, get it right on the first pass.
WD knows a good bit about the big Kawasaki , I wanna call it the Drifter.

Drifter was a variant of the VN1500, inarguably THE best V twin ever made. The 1600, while just a refinement, took massive steps backwards in the looks department. But, for a tourer, the 1600 has cast wheels sporting tubeless tires, much more user friendly than the spoke wheels and inner tubes of the 1500 Vulcan.

Kawasaki Nomad in 1500 or 1600, or the Vaquero in "jumbo industrial sized" displacement, are great bikes for the buck. The Vaquero adds a fairing and top trunk to the old Nomad platform... but it will cost you ElectraGlide money to buy a new one.

The Vulcans over 805cc are BIG bikes. Except the 900, which is just a bored and stroked 805 with fuel injection, ugly fenders, and a faulty belt drive system. The bigger platforms are liquid cooled, fuel injected (debuted in 1998 on the 99 1500 Drifter), shaft driven, windshield/fairing and luggage friendly.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ESLloyd
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/27/13 at 13:37:33

My favourite distance burner was my 1500 Goldwing.The sound of the flat 6 was pure music to me.Taking an afternoon run of 200-300 miles was common.Unfortunately it was extremely heavy and with health concerns (heart and knees)I had to part with it.Almost dropped it on myself moving it in shop. Sold it to a buddy and still miss it 3 years later.(wife does also).Was probably my favourite bike ever(have had over 50 bikes over the years)

Current large displacement bike is a 2006 Vulcan 1500 Classic(about 200 lbs lighter than Goldwing and lower).Trying to adapt a batwing fairing to it with some other modifications to increase wind protection. Pretty good bike but a Wing can spoil you.

Previously had a 97 Savage and in the process of fixing a pronged 05 S40(almost done).

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #17 - 11/27/13 at 13:39:45

To all the site members thanks for the insight.  Just starting to do my research.  I'd probably have to find the right one, right time, right paint job, and for the right price.  Even the 10 year old ones aren't that cheap.  

Incidentally, did you get yours on the road WD?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/27/13 at 19:11:35

It pretty much comes down to the money you want to spend and the type of ride you're looking for. If you want power the V4 bikes like the Magna, Madura, V-Max(as far as I'm concerned one of the best bikes ever built), etc are all good choices. The Kawasaki Concours will beat all of those when it comes to raw, high RPM power while still retaining a fantastic and comfortable ride. The fastest bikes are inline 4s and there are some outstanding I4 touring machines.

If money isn't an issue, the Triumph Rocket III is, in my opinion, the single greatest touring machine on the planet. Its the best looking, fastest true touring bike ever produced.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 11/27/13 at 20:07:37

Hay Pgambr

You waiting for someone to say these majic words :  

Drum roll .........

MotoGuzzi ?   Cheesy

Bike of the year this year acording to "Cruser" magazine !

The 1500 cc modle I think ?

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #20 - 11/28/13 at 06:03:44

WD wrote on 11/27/13 at 10:05:18:
Id spend time on every forum that is about a bike that just Might fit your needs. This is a decision that wont be cheap or easy to change should you make the wrong choice. Take your time, get it right on the first pass.
WD knows a good bit about the big Kawasaki , I wanna call it the Drifter.

Drifter was a variant of the VN1500, inarguably THE best V twin ever made. The 1600, while just a refinement, took massive steps backwards in the looks department. But, for a tourer, the 1600 has cast wheels sporting tubeless tires, much more user friendly than the spoke wheels and inner tubes of the 1500 Vulcan.

Kawasaki Nomad in 1500 or 1600, or the Vaquero in "jumbo industrial sized" displacement, are great bikes for the buck. The Vaquero adds a fairing and top trunk to the old Nomad platform... but it will cost you ElectraGlide money to buy a new one.

The Vulcans over 805cc are BIG bikes. Except the 900, which is just a bored and stroked 805 with fuel injection, ugly fenders, and a faulty belt drive system. The bigger platforms are liquid cooled, fuel injected (debuted in 1998 on the 99 1500 Drifter), shaft driven, windshield/fairing and luggage friendly.

I agree.   I looked at the Harleys  and was not all that impressed.  Then I was advised on various  forums that if I bought a Harley, most of the stock stuff like shocks, carb, filter and so on needed chucking away and replacing.      The Vulcan 1600  has shaft drive - I really think a big thing like that must have that. (and I once had a BMW Boxer)  .  But now, Harley  are having to copy the Japs to stay in the game.   I have 3 jap bikes, and they ALL  have balance weight shafts, overhead cams, two have twin plugs and unit gearboxes.  Both  my V twins are watercooled.  I don't want to be shaken to pieces and charged double for it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 11/28/13 at 07:14:28

pg wrote on 11/27/13 at 13:39:45:
To all the site members thanks for the insight.  Just starting to do my research.  I'd probably have to find the right one, right time, right paint job, and for the right price.  Even the 10 year old ones aren't that cheap.  

Not yet. And I gave the 1963 Honda to a guy from Do The Ton that has a bunch of 248/305 projects as a parts roach. Engine was fragged.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 11/28/13 at 07:32:36

verslagen1 wrote on 11/26/13 at 12:04:10:
caption... why does HE get to drive all the time.  Angry

Michael, do you remember what model bike that Doug rides ?  He was extremely pleased with it and had ridden LOTS of miles on it without any issues at all, if my memory serves me right.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 11/28/13 at 07:34:00

WD wrote on 11/28/13 at 07:14:28:
pg wrote on 11/27/13 at 13:39:45:

Not yet. And I gave the 1963 Honda to a guy from Do The Ton that has a bunch of 248/305 projects as a parts roach. Engine was fragged.

Jeff, I missed your post somehow and asked Versy about Doug's bike; what make/model is it ?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 11/28/13 at 07:48:26

1999 VN1500 Drifter with 100K miles on it. In that time it has needed a set of clutch discs and an upgraded clutch main spring, everything else has been routine oil/brake pad/tire changes. Still has the factory fill in the radiator (still tests out like new).

I put 44K miles on a 99 VN800A in 18 months. I want another 800A so bad it isn't even remotely funny. Even kept my full rear fender conversion and large saddlebags when I sold the bike.

140+ mph top speed, and phenomenal handling with its 21/16 wheel combo.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #25 - 11/28/13 at 14:00:18

WD wrote on 11/28/13 at 07:48:26:
1999 VN1500 Drifter with 100K miles on it. In that time it has needed a set of clutch discs and an upgraded clutch main spring, everything else has been routine oil/brake pad/tire changes. Still has the factory fill in the radiator (still tests out like new).

I put 44K miles on a 99 VN800A in 18 months. I want another 800A so bad it isn't even remotely funny. Even kept my full rear fender conversion and large saddlebags when I sold the bike.

140+ mph top speed, and phenomenal handling with its 21/16 wheel combo.

Which did you like better of the 2?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 11/28/13 at 19:55:27

Based on his desire for another 800, Ima say it was the 800..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #27 - 11/28/13 at 20:16:17

Proabaly so.  I ran into a fella who had the 1500 and said he had 53k on it and all did was change the oil.  No valve adjustments or anything else.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 11/29/13 at 06:32:34

I'll take handling any day. So an 800A with a full rear fender conversion.

The Drifter belongs to a friend who's 61 and been riding since the late 1960s or early 1970s. He likes the look of a bike running a 16/16 combo.

I've got a Savage, Lisa has an 800 Intruder and a 71 Honda CL100.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:32:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Best interstate tourer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.