Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best interstate tourer (Read 271 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Best interstate tourer
11/25/13 at 17:34:24

What has been your experience with the big cc tourers?  A ball park criteria would be able to go 75 mph at 4K rpm, carrying 50 + lbs of gear, and windshield that kept the wind off your face.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Best interstate tourer
Reply #1 - 11/25/13 at 18:11:32

I don't know what is the best.....but I just bought a Honda ST1100 and I was able to ride it home before winter set in here.  They are very affordable on the used market, and they are supposed to be 200,000 mile motorcycles if they are taken care of.

The ST1100 bikes sell for $ 2,000 - $ 4000 on the used market, the newer ST1300 sells for $ 6,000 - $ 10,000 and is nicer and has a lot of improvements like an electric windshield and digitial dash and an adjustable seat height.

If you want a project that needs some electrical troubleshooting....check out  this 1994 model for only $ 1,900!

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?133183-94-ST1100-Black-NON-ABS

« Last Edit: 11/26/13 at 03:38:12 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #2 - 11/25/13 at 19:04:14

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 11/25/13 at 22:42:43

Pgambr

What kinda gas millage you expecting ?   A lot of these bikes only get about 40 or so !   The factory 1200 Sportster gearing will be running down the interstate at 92mph @ 4000 rpm ,and redline high gear about 140 or so.   I allways got at least in the low 50's for mpg. and putting around in no hurry in the high 50's.   I've got this same gearing on my 883 now and there is no-shortage of power and it gets in the mid 50's mpg around town and short trips.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 11/25/13 at 23:00:44

I had an 86 Gold Wing and it was great. The new ones wear out tires quickly and they cost a fortune. I also had a 2000 Triumph Trophy 1200 that I rode 1126 miles in 18 and 1/2 hrs to get my first Iron Butt award. I would highly recommend either bike. If you like to go fast the Triumph is the better bike. If you're after comfort the Wing is the way to go.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 11/26/13 at 05:24:12

pg wrote on 11/25/13 at 17:34:24:
What has been your experience with the big cc tourers?  A ball park criteria would be able to go 75 mph at 4K rpm, carrying 50 + lbs of gear, and windshield that kept the wind off your face.

I have toured on a GS450E, the Savage, and my Vespa.

In the early '80's, the 450 doing 85 mph up I-5 to L.A. to S.F., was very buzzy.  Moving over to 2-lane roads doing 45-50 mph was far more relaxing, and got about 80 mpg.

In '07 on the Savage I did L.A. to OKC.  Day 1 was 570 miles, day 2 was 510 miles.  65-70 mph gives 60-65 mpg.    At 70 mph the Savage does about 4,500 rpm.  The exhaust tone is about 35 Hertz, the vibration is similar to the vibrating bed in a cheap motel.

Last year, in the cage to Kentucky, mostly on I-40, I noticed that cars generally run about 5 mph over the speed limit, trucks do the speed limit (speed control plus GPS), and touring motorcycles do about 5 mph under the speed limit.  On tour on the Savage in '07, the Interstate had about 50 vehicles per mile; back home on US-60 there was about one vehicle every ten miles.

You can do 75 mph on the super slab, but it is far more enjoyable doing 60 mph on two lane highways.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 11/26/13 at 07:57:05

Thanks for the insight.  I recently did a 1500 mile trip and a couple things would have proved to be beneficial.  I'll address a couple points:

50 lbs - for the most part I used a 30 liter dry bag.  After putting in a tool bag, other necessities, clothes, I really didn't have much room for anything else.  Sometime I would like to do a 2 week trip through the Rockies and I'm sure I would need more room.

70 mph - That was my average and I don't have a desire to go much faster down the open freeway.  However, I did get boxed in a number of times and being able to accelerate to get out of harms way would have been very helpful on occasion.

Wind - It affected me much more than I anticipated.  I quit counting the number of times it felt like someone hit my helmet with a rubber mallet knocking it to a 45 degree angle.  

MPG - That certainly won't be good with a heavy bike.

I'm thinking something a 13-15 cc with a total wight no more than 700 lbs.  I know many have some other bikes and done some trips so I thought you could offer some insight.  Thanks again, best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/26/13 at 09:33:46

pg wrote on 11/26/13 at 07:57:05:
I'm thinking something a 13-15 cc with a total wight no more than 700 lbs.

I'm thinking the "0" button on your keyboard may be acting up a bit! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 11/26/13 at 09:50:32

pgambr

Not sure you could get a bike that's 1300-1500cc that would weigh under 800lbs. let alone 700lbs or lighter.

Most of the bigger touring bikes like my old Honda 1300R VTX would do well on the slab. It averaged about 47mpg at 75mph, but it only had 5 gears and I was always reaching for a 6th gear. The 1300R was really low go the ground and I could flat foot it easily with a 32" inseam pant size.
I now have a trike system on my 2007 Harley Road Glide (it weighs in at about 900lbs without the trike system) that makes it really easy to handle, however.... I have to manually pull/push it backwards which can prove challenging at times (it costs another $500 to add the electric backup).
If you could be comfortable with it I'd say get one of the Honda vtx series bikes as they are very comfortable to sit on and can be modded the heck out of! The newer ones (1800cc) are even fuel injected and have a low fuel light and 4.5 or 5 gal fuel tanks. Also the used ones are fairly cheap 4-7k in price.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 11/26/13 at 10:51:10

Having no experience on big bikes & wanting none, my O-Pinion is probably worth nothing, BUT, were I hunting a tourer, Id be hunting the lightest, most fuel efficient bike I could use Comfortably,, Something that would run at RPMs that would not be a challenge for the engine over extended periods. In my opinion, running something at more than about 80% of its max abilities is punishing for it. Soo,, I dont see needing over 900 CC if running 80 Miles per hour is the most youll see for extended periods of time. Id expect a 900cc to weigh enough to eat up the basic road vibration, as long as the engine itself was balanced well enough to not create a buzziness at those speeds.
Id spend time on every forum that is about a bike that just Might fit your needs. This is a decision that wont be cheap or easy to change should you make the wrong choice. Take your time, get it right on the first pass.
WD knows a good bit about the big Kawasaki , I wanna call it the Drifter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/26/13 at 11:10:06

A nice Triumph Bonneville is about 500lbs and near 900cc... Lightweight, 50mpg, plenty of power, and beautifoool...
Kiss...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/26/13 at 12:04:10

caption... why does HE get to drive all the time.  Angry

WWW   IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/26/13 at 18:36:17

My opinion is the Kawasaki Concours is about the best sport tourer built. I loved my Harley Street Bob, very comfortable. Right now I ride my ZRX1200R all over the country. It is what I travel on. Comfortable, fairly efficient and blisteringly fast. When I'm on the open interstate I keep it around the triple digit mark and its solid as a rock. No wind issues, the motor isn't working hard and the fuel economy is in the high 40s.

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #13 - 11/27/13 at 03:29:05

I have recently bought a 2005 Kawasaki  Vulcan Nomad 1600. I haven't had a chance to go far as winter is now here, but it cruises at 70 with no wind, very comfortable seat, and the engine is not revving high. The  4th and 5th gears are overdrives.    Also it costs far less than a Harley,  it doesn't need a lot of expensive aftermarket stuff, and is considered 100% reliable.    Just getting use to the weight   , it is  a bit tricky at slow speed and in town.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #14 - 11/27/13 at 07:44:57

I currently ride a 2005 V Star 1100 that I turned into a bagger. It has plenty of power and will cruise 70-80 all day long. The Vstar 1100 weighs about 650lbs and the 1300 weighs about 750lbs. Look at all the available options/styles of bikes. If you get a bigger cruiser (no matter what brand), look into getting a driver backrest for those long hauls.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:23:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Best interstate tourer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!