Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Uh oh! Exhaust header bolt. (Read 404 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Uh oh! Exhaust header bolt.
Reply #15 - 12/11/13 at 08:57:14

Quote:
Use the existing bolt on one side, then weld the pipe on. Hopefully get two more years out of the bike without needing to remove the pipe or open the clutch cover. Then scrap the bike for parts or give it to someone and let them know about the issue and that they would need to replace the parts.
OR better yet… weld in a threaded stud that I can nut from the outside so the pipe could be removed if needed

The head is aluminum and the pipe is steel. Don't think welding the pipe in is possible anyway unless you mean just welding it to the one bolt that is still intact. Not a good idea IMO.

Tapping the hole for an exhaust stud is a possible solution though, once you get the broken bolt out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 12/11/13 at 08:59:12

Perhaps the best "stab" would be to get it to someone with some decent tools and skills.  I know that I could make something work - but I betcha I would have about 4-6 hours in it.

I seriously doubt that you are going to have any luck getting the piece out with an "easy out" or extractor.  Those work great when the bolt was sheared off or worn through - but not so well when the bolt broke off because it is stuck to tight that it breaks the original bolt off while trying to remove it.  It is stuck tight, galled, or cross threaded.

The best "home remedy" that I can think of is to drill the broken off piece as best you can in the center, and as straight as you can.  If you can't centerpunch and get a drill started in the center....then use a Dremel and a small stone or cutter until you can get a drill to start in the center.  Then drill a small hole, and keep increasing the drill size until you have made a large enough hole that you have hit some threads.  Then take a punch and try to collapse the bolt inside the hole.  If that doesn't work - use the Dremel and work on getting the thick side of the stud weakend until you can collapse the stud and get it out.  Then run a tap in to clean up the threads.  If the threads cannot be cleaned up and you can manage to get a stud threaded into the hole.....forget using the original bolt and insert a threaded stud, and use a nut on the stud to hold the exhaust in place.  And lastly, if you can't get the threads clean, drill a bit oversize and either have someone install a thread repair insert or use the next size metric or US thread and tap the new hole and drill out the header flange hole.

You really, really, really need to get a good mechanic or machinist to help you......you need tools and experience to make this have a happy ending.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 12/11/13 at 09:02:14

nrausch wrote on 12/11/13 at 08:13:57:
weld in a threaded stud that I can nut from the outside so the pipe could be removed if needed?

certainly the better of the 2 options

certainly make you wonder why this isn't done from the factory.
a couple of noncorrodium studs and you'd be set for life.

WWW   IP Logged
nrausch
YaBB Newbies

2003 Savage

Brooklyn, NY
Reply #18 - 12/15/13 at 11:14:27

Final Update!

I finally got all the pieces of the bolt out using a right angle dremel type tool with various tiny drill bit sizes, re-tapped the hole (Which was TRASHED).

I got the cam chain tensioner mod, the dyna muffler mod, new gasket on the clutch cover (Which may have fixed a very minor oil leak), and switched up to Rotella based on the high recommendations on this forum.

I ran around the neighborhoods for a while, then jumped on the highway for a bit.

Other than the smoke from all of the oil, penetrant, wd40, etc burning off the engine… she is running like a champ and best of all SOUNDS LIKE A REAL MOTORCYCLE! The factory muffler had kind of a lawnmower/ chirping sound.

Next, I'll tackle the oil leak coming from that pesky plug on the top of the head. I'm thinking it's the one everyone here talks about being a common leak. I was back-burnering it, but it seems to be getting worse.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your patience and advice. It really empowered me to keep going and git r' done!

Happy Holidays all!

2003 LS650 Savage.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 12/15/13 at 11:52:49

Dude! I am Proud of you! That took guts. & some serious Getting down there & gettin on it. YOu must have young bones,, Anyway, Im impressed.
You dint come across as someone with much experience with a problem like this AND where it was made it even harder And, couple that with the consequences of failure, Im shocked you stayed in it, Congratulations, Man,,Im impressed & happy for you.
Youll learn to stop cranking when a bolt stops. Go back in, add penetrating oil & work in & out & in & out & add oil & watch it,, Once it becomes clear its NOT coming out, you have the option to cut it off instead of twist it off. At least then ya have a flat to work with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nrausch
YaBB Newbies

2003 Savage

Brooklyn, NY
Reply #20 - 12/15/13 at 16:06:31

Here she is... back in bizness!

IMG_1348.JPG

2003 LS650 Savage.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #21 - 12/16/13 at 08:06:44

Awesome! There's nothing like putting your bike back together and hitting that starter button with fear and trepidation and hearing it fire up. Hard lessons learned along the way, but congratulations on gutting it out and figuring it out!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:38:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uh oh! Exhaust header bolt.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.