Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
make your own engine gaskets (Read 138 times)
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
make your own engine gaskets
11/24/13 at 09:50:47

I hope someone of you guys this may help.. you can save a few dollars if you do gaskets for motor independently. here are pictures of gaskets..
http://cs314129.vk.me/v314129114/69c0/xSKKanIP3-0.jpg
http://cs314129.vk.me/v314129114/69c9/NawDCSUL1OI.jpg
http://cs314129.vk.me/v314129114/69d2/cGoLJpv3NqA.jpg
this can be done from paronite thickness of 0,5mm
good hunting!

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: make your own engine gaskets
Reply #1 - 11/24/13 at 11:04:13

I made a gasket for a thermostat on a 350 ford last nite.. Thats a big enough hassle just getting 2 bolt holes & a bypass line hole & the main water passage transferred & cut. I cant imagine trying to make all those holes & passageways & now wreck that puny little gasket before I got done.
Lat time I needed one I had a clutch cover gaskey made at a shop, cost me $14.00. The have a machine, looks a lot like a printer, & it cuts out the gaskets. Slip a DVD in & decide which gasket,, poke the GO button & watch it spit a gasket out,, Coolniss I tell ya..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 11/24/13 at 13:12:30

If I have to make a gasket, I don't transfer measurements.

Place the gasket material over the flange surface. Get a hammer and lightly tap the gasket material around the edges of the flange and over any holes in the flange surface.  This makes an outline of the flange in the gasket material.  Now simply cut the gasket out, using the impressions as your guide.

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/24/13 at 18:12:25

bobert_FSO wrote on 11/24/13 at 13:12:30:
If I have to make a gasket, I don't transfer measurements.

Place the gasket material over the flange surface. Get a hammer and lightly tap the gasket material around the edges of the flange and over any holes in the flange surface.  This makes an outline of the flange in the gasket material.  Now simply cut the gasket out, using the impressions as your guide.

what sheet stock do you use? at least for this bike...

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 11/24/13 at 20:26:05

The hammer method is just a general example.  I have done it for small gaskets like auto thermostat housings and the like.  I just used normal paper sheet gasket material for that.

When replacing the cam chain adjuster on my Savage with a versy-style extended adjuster, I ordered a clutch cover gasket.  It was cheap enough, about $15, I think.  No sense in working too hard to create an already cheap and easy-to-obtain gasket.

Fortunately, I was able to re-use the existing gasket, since it was installed without any sealant and came off in one piece.  When I sold my Savage, I forgot to give it to the buyer.  It wasn't worth my time to resell it on Ebay, so I gave it away on this forum.  I forget who I sent it to, but he was in Hawaii.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #5 - 11/24/13 at 21:28:27

you guys a little easier... in Russia would have to pay about 35 bucks and have to wait about half a month or a month to get the gasket.  Sad therefore it is easier to go out and buy a sheet of paronite and make laying their hands. and nothing complicated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/24/13 at 22:25:27

Ive done the "Light bump on the gasket" thing,, Cutting out the lines on a clutch cover? Theyre kinda narrow & irregular & floppy. I guess I COULD do it, if I was in Wambrs spot,, But, for $14.00,, being in a place where I can walk in, ask for the gasket, wait about 10 minutes & pay for it? Naaaah,,
Last nite I was making a thermostat gasket. The guy didnt even HAVE a ball pein,, I hadda find bolts that went thru the holes in the gooseneck, smack them ( with them in the holes, on the gasket material, layin on the vise) to mark the hole, Kinda, then look in & see how it lined up, then I found sockets that fit close & hammered them thru the gasket material. Once I got the 2 bolt holes & the bypass hole done, I used bolts to hold it in place on the block & used a small claw hammer to "Show me the line", then I marked it with a fine ink pen & had the guy cut it out kinda close, I dressed it with a dremel,, Yea,, he isnt much of a mechanic,, Ive never seen ANYONE lose so many bolts,, he is a nice guy, but Very disorganized in his approach to taking things apart,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 11/25/13 at 16:18:57

I've always found a little burned motor oil on the surface will make a great outline when you press the material against it.  You can easily wipe the oil off when done.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/26/13 at 14:19:32

what thickness gasket material would be ideal for replacing the stator and clutch?

Its a solid engine, but would 1/64 material be too thin for any imperfections?

How about for the cylinder and head gaskets, I dont want to screw around with the compression ratio, what is the ideal material thickness?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/26/13 at 15:10:36

wambr wrote on 11/24/13 at 09:50:47:

which is 0.020"

WWW   IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/26/13 at 15:27:28

verslagen1 wrote on 11/26/13 at 15:10:36:
wambr wrote on 11/24/13 at 09:50:47:

which is 0.020"

just to be sure i completely understand.

.02 paronite is the proper thickness to replace the head and cylinder gaskets?

.02 paronite is the proper thickness to ensure a good seal on the clutch and stator?

I have 1/64 karropak which is roughly .016.
I can true the cylinder and head if really needed, just cant do that for the transmission surfaces...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/27/13 at 12:49:25

The head gasket is a copper sandwich affair with about 3 layers of copper if I remember correctly.......with some kind of gackempucky between the layers.

Can't figure out why anyone would want to try and make their own gaskets (unless you are in a place you can't have them delivered by mail or stranded in a roadside break down).......especially a substitute head gasket?   Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 11/27/13 at 16:12:16

Low compression engines like lawn mower and tiller, a sheet of cardboard like from a t-shirt pack works just fine.  Never had one blow yet.

Dunno about the bike, though.  The few times I have removed a head, I always bought the head gasket for them.

I make may gaskets but when it comes to one with oil or water under pressure passing through them, I normally buy so I don't have to worry.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #13 - 11/27/13 at 21:23:20

I repeat again
wambr wrote on 11/24/13 at 21:28:27:
you guys a little easier... in Russia would have to pay about 35 bucks and have to wait about half a month or a month to get the gasket.  Sad therefore it is easier to go out and buy a sheet of paronite and make laying their hands. and nothing complicated.

if I could buy a set of gaskets for motor in a "roadside cafe", then I would not do them yourself. I shared my experience with those of you who are probably as long waits purchased gaskets or wants to do it their own hands. because so many of you are building their OWN motorcycles, and do not go to the dealer for the purchase of another. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 23:21:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › make your own engine gaskets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.