Send Topic Print
petcock (Read 137 times)
frid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

petcock
11/24/13 at 01:49:13

Question,,,   The hose from the petcock to the carb.  I took the end off to the carb. to see if the petcock is letting gas flow.  The petcock has 3 settings, prim, fuel, reserve.  Gas flows freely out on reserve only, the other 2 settings prim and fuel - nothing flows at all.  Its like it works as a shut off valve. Is this right or wrong?   Do I need another petcock? Undecided

« Last Edit: 11/24/13 at 03:12:13 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: petcock
Reply #1 - 11/24/13 at 03:06:58

The stock petcock is a vacuum operated petcock.  Prime is used to fill the carb float bowl when the bike is new, or has not been ridden for a long time and the float bowl is empty.  Use Prime if the bike has been sitting for a while.....but only to get the bike started.

In normal operation you use the normal setting - there is a vacuum diaphragm in the petcock that is operated by the smaller hose that leads to the intake throat of the carb.  When the engine is running the vacuum opens the petcock and allows fuel to flow - it does not allow fuel to flow when the engine is not running.

"FUEL" is the normal setting to use when riding.  When you are riding and run out of gas on the "FUEL" setting, you can quickly switch the petcock to reserve to use the rest of the fuel in the tank.  If you are not quick enough to make the switch and the engine stops....you should use Prime to get the engine running again.  When you fill the tank back up - remember to switch the petcock back to the the "FUEL" setting......or the next time you run out you will not have "reserve" gas to use.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
frid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/24/13 at 03:12:33

thank you so much , well thats not the problem then , I put on Harley dual pipes , now cutting out when giving throttle ,backing firing when letting off the throttle, I must need to rejet ,any thoughts on the jets . thanks again    ,frid

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/24/13 at 03:36:37

FRID;

Have you looked in the Technical Section and read the threads on carbs and jetting?

If your pipes are open and unrestricted.....you might have a problem with jetting.  It is hard to jet a bike that has little (or no) restriction in the exhaust system.  Sure race bikes can do it.....but they are used at high rpm and don't need to idle or cruise well.

Generally you can get by with a #50 pilot and #150 main and 3 (or 2 in my case) washers under the needle in place of the white spacer for a stock air filer and stock or DYNA muffler.  If you start adding pod filters or more open mufflers you might have to go to a # 52.5 pilot and # 152.5 main......you can only find out by trying them as each bike runs a bit different.  I believe that a #55 pilot and # 155 main is excessive and probably too rich for any combination.  I have no idea what twin pipes will do.....it could be causing some major "reversion" problems and could make the bike run poorly.

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
frid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/24/13 at 03:51:29

wow your great thanks .the pipes do have restriction in them so I hope it be easy ,,, thank you

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/24/13 at 11:12:31

Im not a Hot Rod engineer, so, I really dont know what Im talking about, BUT, I promise, Im not gonna let a little detail like That stop me.. okay?

So,, heres the deal.. The way I understand it, running an open pipe ( too little restriction) somehow messes up the torque. Now, airflow, water, whatever, you give it 2 times the number of paths to flow IN, you created a 1/2 resistance event. So, IDK what part thats playing in your problems, maybe someone else can fill in the blanks there, for me, if no one else,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
frid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/24/13 at 13:26:55

hi ,thanks but what is idk

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/24/13 at 13:35:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/24/13 at 11:12:31:
Im not a Hot Rod engineer, so, I really dont know what Im talking about, BUT, I promise, Im not gonna let a little detail like That stop me.. okay?

So,, heres the deal.. The way I understand it, running an open pipe ( too little restriction) somehow messes up the torque. Now, airflow, water, whatever, you give it 2 times the number of paths to flow IN, you created a 1/2 resistance event. So, IDK what part thats playing in your problems, maybe someone else can fill in the blanks there, for me, if no one else,,

Grin

Justin, what do we call it when the muffler clamp gets loose and lets some fresh air get sucked into the exhaust system once the pulse pases?    What are the symptoms that we have seen from that particular air leak, constantly and repeatedly over the years?

Just think of what he's done (or that he plans to do) as the world's biggest planned air leak, ever ....

Shocked

Now tell him what he needs to do to fix it .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
frid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/24/13 at 14:17:13

so oldfeller .are you getting at I may have a air leak or with dual pipes you may get back blow

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 11/24/13 at 14:21:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/24/13 at 13:35:55:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/24/13 at 11:12:31:

Grin

Justin, what do we call it when the muffler clamp gets loose and lets some fresh air get sucked into the exhaust system once the pulse pases?    What are the symptoms that we have seen from that particular air leak, constantly and repeatedly over the years?

Just think of what he's done (or that he plans to do) as the world's biggest planned air leak, ever ....

Shocked

Now tell him what he needs to do to fix it .....

On second though, Justin, it might be safer not to tell him anything, especially since he likes to go sue people at the drop of a hat.

Mebbe might be a bit safer that way .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/24/13 at 14:35:53

....... glub blub glub glub ......    yuck !!!

.... gack, that smells really really bad --- makes pig wallows smell sweet by comparison.

BANISHED to the river Styx for 37 days --- note to occupants, do not swim with mouth open, those are NOT cutsie little bitty fishies swimming around in the water with you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 11/24/13 at 14:36:27

Frid,.. what he's saying is... unless the exhaust flow is perfectly split, exhaust air may take the path of least resistance for the most part... and this would make the other muffler suck fresh air rather than blow exhaust at certain pulse points... that would be equivalent to creating a large air leak in the exhaust (which is a major cause of backfires)...

In that case,.. you might want to block one muffler completely, making it decorative but not functional...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/24/13 at 14:49:34

Serowbot wrote on 11/24/13 at 14:36:27:
Frid,.. what he's saying is... unless the exhaust flow is perfectly split, exhaust air may take the path of least resistance for the most part... and this would make the other muffler suck fresh air rather than blow exhaust at certain pulse points... that would be equivalent to creating a large air leak in the exhaust (which is a major causes backfires)...

In that case,.. you might want to block one muffler completely, making it decorative but not functional...

Hey Serow, got a clean towel on you anywhere by any chance?   I gots some Styx in my eyes and got some up my nose, too.

Think of that big pulse charging down that curved tube, then hitting the Y split not perfectly on center-- no matter what you do the majority of the single pulse of hot gas is going to follow the linear path it was on.

The only way to keep it from backfeeding cleaner air back into the hot zone is to provide restricted output out both of the muffler tubes such that the sum of the exit areas is low enough that nothing can back up on either path.   And that is pretty restrictive, no?

Blocking off one completely to be "cosmetic only" means only one muffler will get golden or blued -- that will look fer real fer sure.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
frid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/25/13 at 02:00:01

serowbot ,,, thanks , but oldfeller you are a piece of work , i lived beside someone like you before ,i can see you are a very smart man ,you know a lot , that's good ,but in how you say an talk to others , you come off as smartass . people ,not all but a lot ,people who have a lot of knowledge sim to a smartass when others like me may not know things about muffers , backfire ,leaks ,what ever it maybe .but one think i do know im smart in a lot of ways . i invent things an make prototype's of all i make . i spend i lot of time on the road looking for investors .people love what i have but people have no money to help to get it on the market , just not finding the people i guess .so im smart to but don't make other feel like nuts . now on that note , i thanks all who have help me . an with oldfeller being on here watching all the questions people have an being a smartass , i will find another forum to go to . thanks again for your help people Sad Sad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 11/25/13 at 08:01:02

Hey, Frid,, dont go away,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:30:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.