Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can the S40 handle the longer rides? (Read 165 times)
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can the S40 handle the longer rides?
11/23/13 at 06:09:39

Hello All

I’ve been following the forum for several months now, but this is my first post.  I purchased my S40 new this year and am loving it!  I recently retired and buying a small cruiser was an important part of my retirement plans.  My only regret is that I don’t have a time machine so I can go back and slap my 20 year old self and tell me to not wait so long to get a bike.  Oh well, I’ll just have to make up for lost time now.

I put my S40 away for the winter this week and am already anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring so I can get back on it.  I’m hoping to take it on a long(ish) road trip next summer.  I’m thinking something in the neighborhood of a 6-8 day round trip.  I’m looking for the advice of those in the group who have taken their bikes on longer trips.  Are our S40’s up to the challenge?  Those of you who have tried it, do you recommend that I avoid the interstates? Is there anything that your experience has taught you that I should be aware of?

My bike is a stock 2013 Boulevard S40.  The only mods I have done are the seat lift (courtesy of this forum, thank you), added saddle bags, and an AirHawk cushion for added comfort.  I’ll be swapping out the petcock for a Raptor in the spring and will likely add a sissy bar, luggage rack, and perhaps a windshield.  I’m 6’ tall and 175 pounds and so far the day trips I’ve taken this year have been comfortable enough, but I’m concerned that after several days in the saddle it might be a different story.

At any rate, I could sure benefit from the experience of those who have gone before me.

Thanks very much

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Can the S40 handle the longer rides?
Reply #1 - 11/23/13 at 06:22:26

The bike can handle any ride length you can handle.

Comfort and various minor body pains will end your day before the bike notices it has gone a long way today.    800 mile days were done before my body couldn't take such things any more.

Folks who ride very long distances regularly will generally wind up buying touring type bikes for the body comfort thing .....  the Savage isn't really a touring bike per se.

Go ahead and take your long ride and find out if anything hurts in particular.    Most aches have already been figured out and fixes for them are posted in RSD and Tech Section.    

We also have data on bikes that we (as a group) have tried as open road bikes -- I personally tried two other bikes that were larger and porkier before selling them and keeping the Savage (and I now have a carry trailer for the Savage that goes along behind a car).

Comfort becomes more important the older you get.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/23/13 at 08:40:13

I think it depends on your friends...
Neither me or my bike is happy blasting the freeway at 80mph for hours on end...
...but,... putting through the countryside at 50 or 60mph is a breeze...

If you do much steady riding over 65mph... check your oil level at each fill-up...
Nothing's wrong,.. but the big thumper will gobble some oil churning at those speeds...

For me, personally... bike travel at speeds over 65mph are more like work and less like fun... and that's on any bike...
If I were planning a tour,.. I'd plan 300 to 400 mile days...
50 to 65mph roads...
JMHO...  I'm sure the bike can handle more than I can... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 11/23/13 at 12:14:58

Like these fella's have stated, yes you can ride it on long trips. Last year I took my wife's 650 savage from the panhandle of florida to the blue ridge motorcycle campground in north Carolina.
I broke my trip down into two days even tho it is only 500 miles and states 8 hours and 30 min on the garmin.
Always plan for it to take about 3 hours longer than any trip calculator because of gas stops, restroom stops, sight seeing stops and of course the all important mom and pop bbq rib place you just went past stop.
I added a gel cushion for a car seat from walmart for added seat comfort.

All I can tell you, is to go on 3 to 5 hour rides and see how you personally can handle it. You will need to have a trip meter of some sort to keep track of your fill ups.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 11/23/13 at 12:19:37

When I had mine I rode it 400 miles one day.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/23/13 at 12:41:01

It sure can. The limiting factor is the rider, not the bike. I followed a similar path as you, never ridden, took the MSF course in April 2012 at the age of 62, bought a used S40, and started racking up the miles and experience. Took it on a 1,900 mile trip in September 2012. The you tube link is below and there is a thread on the trip somewhere in the Café back in September 2012.

This spring I sold the S40 and migrated to a C50. At 6'2", it fits me better and the 4.1 gallon tank and fuel gauge come in handy on the road.

Keep us posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twd-wvHsKhg

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/23/13 at 14:07:49

Old Feller, Serobot, Old Rider, Midnight Rider and Blinky.  Thanks SO much for your feedback.  I am totally jazzed about next riding season and will enjoy mapping out my "long ride" route this winter.  I especially loved the video from Blinky.  By the way Blinky I really like the luggage carrier you have on your bike.  I'll be looking to do something similar.  Very nice.

I already have a GPS and mount and added a 12 volt power adaptor wired to the battery.  A must for longer rides I think.

Thanks again everyone.  Greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 11/23/13 at 14:27:26

Well....if you are in for a ride around mid to late june, go to this thread and read up....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1375308431

I went this past summer and even tho I injured myself I still managed to enjoy the trip and meeting the fella's.

Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 11/23/13 at 17:01:36

Retired Rider

What part of the country you ride from ?   I've been itching for a couple long rides too ! Wink    

I put a wider seat, windshild, and floorboards on mine , so now its easy to do 8hr rides.  

Doin't matter what bike your ridding , the "BUFF" from 70 mph crussing will wear you out twice as fast a 50mph"BUFF".  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/23/13 at 17:14:53

Some longer shocks for the rear might be a good investment for long rides.  Something that wouldn't bottom out and jar your spine but with good damping so it doesn't bounce you around.  A smooth ride will reduce your fatigue.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 11/23/13 at 17:57:06

Roger that.  I have done 500 miles in a day on my KLR and felt as fatigued as 200 on the s40.  The 5.8 gallon tank also helped, it gets a little old filling up every 100 - 120 miles.  I can promise you this, the S40 will take you as far as you are willing to go.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 11/23/13 at 18:07:00

This thread will have some helpful ideas what else you may need.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1384282006/0#0

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/23/13 at 23:55:49

Rode a bit more than 7,000 miles in less than a month. Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri then worked my way back thru South Dakota and back thru Montana and then went south into Nevada before returning home.  I found that if I could ride for one hour and then rest for a half hour before climbing back on, I could ride relatively refreshed til the next stop. You can pack on a lot of miles that way but to try and ride any more than a hour that on this light bike at speeds over 55 it wears you out. On my trip, I noticed that the 650 was the smallest of any touring bikes I ran into. But I'm on the short side and I weigh maybe 150 lbs, so the bike fit me like a glove. Much bigger person than me and it would have been a different story.
As Serobot says, check your oil often because it'll drink at least a qt a day at higher speeds. Something else I noticed right off the bat is that lots of parts vibrate loose after a long day on crappy roads so check everything each night. The biggest draw back is the small gas tank! I ran out of gas right in the middle of  the Badlands in South Dakota on a 95 degree day and on a Sunday afternoon when it seemed I was the only person in the whole national park. I set there for hours before a large Gold Wing stopped and drained some of his gas for me. I got wise and bought a rubber hot water bottle that I carried extra fuel in.

IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/24/13 at 09:17:44

Wow!  I can't believe all the fantastic feedback.  

Further to those who already replied, many thanks to MMRanch, Engineer, Pgambr and Stinger.  The info, videos and threads you provided are exceptional, and just the kind of advice I was looking for.  

Courtesy of you folks, my long rides will be much better I'm sure. If I forgot to thank anyone, sorry for the oversight.

MMRanch, you were asking what part of the country I'm from.  I'm actually up in Ontario Canada.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 11/24/13 at 16:51:41

Courtesy of you folks, my long rides will be much better I'm sure. If I forgot to thank anyone, sorry for the oversight.

MMRanch, you were asking what part of the country I'm from.  I'm actually up in Ontario Canada.

Wow thats a long way from southern midle TN. !  Wink

How far you from Sergis ND. ?  

We should all meet somewhere next summer for a week ride !
Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:25:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Can the S40 handle the longer rides?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.